Ford Motor Company Reviews

Reset

1. Ford Motor

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great American company, cares about employees.

Cons

To much mid to upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to direct reports.

Terrible Benefits

Former Employee - Package Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Package Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay never stopped. The company didn't go through bankruptcy before. General salaried roll employees and engineers are very energetic and making sacrifices to improve company profit and targets. There are some good paying jobs like VP and CEO.

Cons

This company's benefit is terrible. The worst health insurance plan and annual bonus. The buildings are so outdated. Some restrooms are so smelly and you don't want to stay more than one minute. Vacation days are one week less than GM. Glad I didn't have to stay at this company so long.

A rewarding career that offered a rich mix of functional and global experience.

Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Chief Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Global company that puts many employees into daily interaction with other employees around the world. As a family controlled company, there is a very strong sense of community/family around the world.

Cons

Working global is harder due to time zones and differing cultural norms. In general, high expectations for commitment and effort are not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to push hard on "One Ford" as this is a key strategy. The other key strategy is Innovation, which is essential for success in the next century of the company.

Very Poor Health Insurance Plan for Salaried Employees

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a decent salary.

Cons

Every year the company increases the premiums for health insurance plans to salaried employees. Very very high premiums and very very high deductible amounts. If you have someone who is sick or baby coming, you better join other auto companies like GM. With the same amount of a salary, Ford will take out a lot of health insurance costs out of your paychecks.

6. Great company, great work environment

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

promotions, leadership, responsibility, training, good management

Cons

No cons come to my mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Treats Salaried Employees Unfairly

Current Employee - Package Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Package Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed environment. You can enjoy working for this company if you are unambitious.

Cons

The ration between CEO annual bonus and general salary roll engineers' annual bonuses are the highest in the auto industry. Very unfair company. The company catchphrase is One Ford. Ya, right. What kind of One Ford treats so dramatically differently the CEO and engineers? Please look around and see how GM treats their engineers. GM CEO annual bonus was about 70% of Ford CEO, but GM's engineers got 170% of Ford engineers' annual bonuses at the same grade levels. Shame on the company who doesn't appreciate engineers' hard work and initiative. The company only seems to be interested in pleasing UAW workers and CEO, VPs, not engineers or general salaried roll employees.

Benefit is Uncompetitive

Current Employee - Powertrain Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A large company where an employee can try different things

Cons

The benefit and compensation are probably the worst among automakers in Detroit area. Very high medical insurance premiums and higher deductibles to salaried employees. Luckily my wife work for GM and I am enrolled through her employer's health insurance plan. Kind of shame. And also every March, my wife jokes about my profit sharing money from the company, which is about 7,000 dollars less than hers. She and I are at the same salary level. Funny thing is my CEO got more profit sharing money than her CEO. She kept asking me to leave Ford and join GM since there are many opening at GM for engineers. Ready to move to GM shortly. My poor days at Ford will be over.

Benefits Need To be Improved from Health Insurance to Annual Bonus

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are pretty much all the benefits available although they are below average.

Cons

The benefits and annual bonuses are not competitive. Only the salary is on average, but after very high health insurance premiums and deductibles, you take much less money home compared to GM salaried employees. 1. About 2,000 dollars more health insurance premiums than GM 2. About 7,000 dollars less annual bonuses than GM for the equal level of engineers 3. One week less vacation days than GM 4. No car purchase voucher support like GM's 1,000 dollars voucher every year 5. On and on...

Advice to Management

GM announced yesterday they are going to renovate their product development center in Warren. Funny. Their buildings are already much better than Ford PDC buildings. It is just a tip of an iceberg showing how the company thinks of its own engineers.

10. A very good place to work if your local mgmt is visionary and hard-working

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very family-friendly employer... mgmt understands if you have to pick up sick child from school, etc, as long as you get your work done and are motivated. I work in product development on advanced powertrain designs, and the middle management is very hard-working, relatively visionary, and sensible. It's a very collaborative and helpful work environment. There are many experts whose friendly demeanor makes it easy to learn and grow. There is a strong "can-do" attitude where I work. Mgmt in my organization is open-minded to feedback and suggestions on how to improve procedures, designs, etc.

Cons

Cost drives every decision and many times seems to be the only factor when selecting components/designs. Product strategists can often be obtuse about advanced technology/ideas and squelch creativity, despite the executive management's stated commitments to innovation... it seems they want to be the first company to offer exciting new features (e.g., SYNC, aluminum F150, etc), but internally it seems many of strategists consider features only after the competition offers them... which resembles a "follower" attitude, not that of a leader.

Advice to Management

Mgmt needs to welcome and foster innovation at all levels of the company, not simply in a specific organization. Good ideas can come from anywhere in a company. And before killing new feature development based on cost, understand that the customer may be willing to pay more for desirable features... so more customer clinics and data should be gathered first.

Industry Worst Product Development Center Buildings

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is average. Good for female engineers who can utilize transitional work schedules.

Cons

The product development buildings are the worst. Filthy and smelly restrooms. Terrible HVAC systems that can't keep temperatures in check. Many days we are sweating in May when temperature goes up and A/C doesn't work. The benefit and compensation are not competitive.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't recommend my friends and brothers to this company.

Showing 501 of 1,234 reviews