Ford Motor Company

System Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

Big company, u can learn a lot

Cons

pay is low, no benefit, no overtiem

Low-quality engineers and treats people like children

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ford offers employees the ability to rotate into other parts of the business (and even requires this for college graduates). They offer tuition assistance, a patent rewards program and some unique benefits (ie. use of Ford lawyers for certain personal cases).

Cons

Leadership seems to be a huge problem within my organization. Nobody wants to take charge to make a product truly excellent, people just want to coast by without doing any hard work. A week stuck in meetings is a successful week to a lot of these people, even if no quantifiable work gets done after all the meetings.

Ford treats employees like children. Employees have to go to mandatory hour-long "trainings" that basically tell you not to post confidential material on social networks and not to accept bribes from customers. IT sends out emails like "Cyber Steve learns about safe Web browsing" with a picture of a little cartoon IT guy telling you to use a secure password. It's insulting to be a professional engineer and having people treat you like a child.

Another big problem is Ford promotes peopled based on how long you've been with the company instead of the quality of your work. This leads to, for example, an IT employee being promoted to supervisor of a production software team just because he's been at Ford the longest. These are just two different worlds and they don't mesh well together, which is why some of these production products are a disaster. People should be promoted based on the quality of their work, not for how many years they can sit behind the same desk.

I have yet to meet someone at Ford who understands the difference between good software and bad software. People seem to think that if "it works" then it's good software and the project is good to ship. No! That is absolutely wrong! Just because the software works in a black-box test environment doesn't mean it's robust, readable, flexible or maintainable. Some of the software I've seen has been an absolute nightmare and my superiors refuse to let me make it any better because "it already works". Come back to me in 5 years when you have to make a change that becomes impossible to implement and tell me "it works".

Management needs to start recognizing their exceptional employees and rewarding them for their excellent work. Similarly, management needs to recognize bad work and work with employees to make themselves better. Doing bad work is fine (we've all done it at some point), but continuously doing bad work and never improving yourself is not fine. People who refuse to learn and refuse to improve themselves should be fired because a single such person can destroy a project with their bad code.

Management should also promote based on ability and skill instead of length of tenure. Someone who's been in seat fabric design for 20 years should not be promoted to run a software team - it makes absolutely no sense.

Great environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

Great environment, 8 hour work days, Many team activities

Cons

To many non-value added policies

Pretty Amazing Place

Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ford is awesome. Every day I am surrounded by engineers who put in a lot of work and effort to make sure the best they can do is going into their work. Work hours are very flexible, lots of autonomy, there is no micromanaging at all. Managers/ supervisors are so approachable and willing to help its ridiculous ( I am a new hire and know a few higher level managers and can email them or instant message them anytime and they always respond and are very helpful). Pay is competitive, benefits are good. It's a very big company, so work/life balance fluctuates depending where you go, but for the most part I'd say its pretty good. Plenty of opportunities to travel all over the world, I was almost sent to Spain for 2 weeks within my first 4 months of working. Ford gives you from a little before Christmas to a couple days after new years off as part of just holiday time off, not part of your vacation. So this is an additional like 2 weeks of paid vacation, on top of your vacation days (HUGE pro). Its an awesome place to work, I have been very pleased.

Cons

Michigan is gorgeous in the summer, but is a very gloomy cold place in the winter. If you don't like the cold or are not used to it, this is a big con. Detroit isn't as bad as most people think, but there are some sketchy areas (some incredible ones too). In some departments (crash and safety engineering for instance) work/life balance is not good. For most people, during 4th of July you are forced to use 4 vacation days.. this sucks because you only get 10 your fist couple of years. Facilities where you work are very dated and ugly. Makes for kind of a gloomy environment. There are a lot of cons that you will get just because Ford is so huge, like dealing with IT, that will be the same pretty much any time you work for a big company though, lots of communication hold-ups and delays.

Let me work during 4th of July!

Work/Life

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Good travel opportunity

Cons

Understaffed for the increasing pace of the industry
    Manufacturing group is incredibly overworked and you will sacrifice your social life and personal relationships

Improve work/life balance for employees. Need to develop a way to continue product launches without asking employees to sacrifice all of the time with family and friends. Very high divorce rate in manufacturing group and a large majority of the employees are disgruntled pension holders. Not many young engineers sticking through the abuse.

Endless Opportunities and great people

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to completely change positions every year and a half if you desire. Flexible work schedule. Challenging work.

Cons

Like and big company, internal politics can be frustrating.

Work together, and please make decisions faster. Too often progress is delayed of derailed because of a couple squeaky wheels. Please be bold, and ignore the whiners.

Purchasing Employee

Current Employee - Purchasing Buyer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Purchasing Buyer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Flexible. Great people and management

Cons

Training could be better. Would love to see improved technology and facilities

Don't forget your values - One Ford. Encourage managers to mentor general salaried employee ls

Good before 2003, absoloutely horrible there after...

Current Employee - Product Development Engineering Supervisor in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineering Supervisor in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

Can't think of any at the moment.

Cons

Management that looks out for #1 - themselves. People throw other employees under the bus to make themselves look good. Management has very minimal ethics or morality. I worked for two managers who were simply evil; I suffered from PTSD for years.

Start thinkng about someone besides yourselves; the majority you make me absoloutely sick...

Endless opportunities

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are endless opportunities due to their size. Despite the common perception that the company is old school, they truly are a modern company in many ways (e.g. HR policies, flexible work schedules, and tuition assistance). I work with a diverse group of people and it really feels like I'm part of a family.

Cons

With a company so large network within the company is critical. Employees need to recognize this is a challenge and be proactive about it.

One of the best automotive company.

Current Employee - Performance & Vehicle Simulation Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Performance & Vehicle Simulation Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good company with a great managers who lead this huge automotive company.
    Great salaries.

Cons

they always want more from you

Ford Motor Company Photos