Ford Motor Company

3.5
1,010 Reviews

Ford Motor Company President & CEO Mark Fields
Mark Fields

Pros
  • a lot of flexibility in the field (they like to call it "work-life balance") (in 87 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are competitive (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Make just a small effort to provide work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Long Hours, rotating shift, no compensation for interns unless you are a trainee (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Working at Ford has been a great experience

Current Employee - Windnoise Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Windnoise Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great group of people who are passionate about designing a better vehicle for the customer.
    The group that I work in are very very good at what they do, and are always willing to help out if you are struggling something.
    Its also great to be part of a great company at ford, the corporate culture encourages employees of different departments to work together, I won't deny there has been friction with working in other departments but compared to working at other automotive companies this place is better.
    The benefits are also great as well.
    ford is investing not only in new facilities, but they are also hiring new engineers.
    I also like a casual working environment, Ford is fine with you wearing jeans and a polo to work, they suggest if you are meeting with suppliers. Also Ford encourages its employees to telecommute once a week typically Friday, but it isn't required.

Cons

Unless you live in Dearborn, the commute to work is pretty bad, traffic on Southfield (M39) or 94 is pretty bad. I wish there were better cafeteria options for Food, usually you have to go out to eat if you don't pack, but one of the best Thai restaurants in the Metro Detroit area is 10 min from Ford's campus. Parking can be an issue if you work at EVB

Keep yup the good work!!

Ford

Current Employee - Power Train Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Power Train Engineer in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are most of benefits available at this company.

Cons

Most of the available benefits are uncompetitive (profit sharing, health insurance, vacation days, college tuition support, no car purchase or lease down payment voucher).

Please share your profits with salaried employees at the same level as other competitors in auto industry.

Outdated Office and Union Oriented Company

Current Employee - Closure Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Closure Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a line assembly worker, this is the best company to work for in auto industry because their hourly rate, $58, is the industry best.

Cons

If you are a salaried employee, this is the worst company to work for in auto industry because your benefits and compensations will be the worst in the same industry. And to make it worse, it is getting worse.

Very Stingy on Benefits

Current Employee - Interior Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Interior Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You are paid even with very little work.

Cons

Based on Detroit Free Press on Feb, 23, 2015, Ford generates $995 profit per vehicle whereas GM generates $650 per vehicle. Ford has a less number of salaried employees than GM. But, Ford distributes to salaried employees half the annual bonuses GM distributes to salaried employees. Ford is a stingy company. Ford is generous only to UAW and upper managements. That is why only average Joe engineers stay at Ford.

No Future Here

Current Employee - Body Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Body Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good engineers willing to take leads and innovate.

Cons

The benefit and compensation level are not just up to par. Enginners are always ready to jump the ship looking for companys that provide better annual bonuses and health insurance.

This company makes their engineers outdated and unwilling.

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quite free office life. Decent pay. That is pretty much it. Below average health insurance. Terrible annual bonuses compared to competitors in auto industry

Cons

Engineers are getting frustrated for the last 5 years due to very disappointing annual bonuses. Every year they believe they deserve much more than that because the company generated the best profit in the auto industry, but their profit sharing money is half the GM. After 5 years at Ford, I had to leave last year to join GM.

This company makes all the engineers the same or average down!

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is inferior to other competitors like GM, so engineers either leave or just don't make good effort to develop cars. Employees' brothers, sisters, husbands work for other competitors, so they are well aware they are compensated below average by the company beginning from annual bonus, health insurance, and to other benefits like life or disability insurance.

Cons

There are just too many engineers idling on their desks doing nothing. It is just company's fault. Unhappy engineers are inefficient. So obvious. There is no promotions. I see everyday many engineers are searching for job openings at GM, which go fast because there are so many engineers in the waiting line. I was one of them, and now I am very pleased to make the decision to leave this company.

I wish the company could have treated the engineers better with competitive annual bonuses (AICP), better health insurance policy. The company is really short sighted. They might think they can save some money by shortchanging the engineers, but eventually that comes back and haunts the company because many quality engineers keep leaving the company for GM. Who would stay if they know they get only 5K dollars as annual bonuses when their friends at GM get 11k dollars as annual bonuses?
    I understand manufacturing automobiles are quite a complicated process, but still there are too many cost-ineffective managers and upper managers.
    The company also don't project the future well. There are so underwhelming cars like MKT or Flex that nobody buys. Nobody understands who approved these vehicle programs in the first place. Ironically those who approved these programs receive millions of dollars as annual bonuses and free company cars. Only ground soldiers like GSR employees work hard and bring paltry annual bonuses home. Shame, shame.

No promotion for 20 years

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are lots of old employees. College graduates have rotation in product development departments, but most of time, it is a waste of time killing hours because other engineers are so busy.

Cons

You can't expect any promotion unless you have a British accent. No matter how good performance you did, you will get only 2% raise at most every year. There are thousands of middle and upper managers, directors, vice presidents. I was shocked to see there are so many VPs in a company. No wonder engineers get very little profit sharing bonuses every year while VPs and directors are getting millions of bonuses.

Do you really need that many directors and VPs? If you remove just 10 directors and VPs who are just killing time, you can improve engineers' benefit tremendously.

High health insurance cost is killing me....

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every year health insurance premium and deductible go up 10 times faster than my salary increase. I am getting poorer and poorer.

Cons

High health insurance cost. Little annual bonus compared to competitors. GM gives 11% of engineers' salaries as annual bonuses. Mine is about half of that. My wife works for GM. So, I use GM's health insurance through my wife.

Only mediocre new hires are seen

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All the beebfits. They are sometimes not competitive. You can check slary section of this website to compare this company and other competitors in auto industry.

Cons

In total, employees in this company are about 10k dollars less compensated compared to GM. Hence, best college graduates go to GM first, and then the remaining mediocre graduates come to this company. One week less vacation, several thousand dollars less annual bonus, more health insurance premiums, no company car purchase or lease downpayment support compared to GM.

We are losing good college graduates to competitors. Please make our benefits competitive. Otherwsie, nobody will drive down to Dearborn.

Ford Motor Company Photos