Ford Motor Company

www.corporate.ford.com
Employer Engaged

Company who chases away good employees

Current Employee - Package Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Package Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of loopholes slackers can exploit like work from home, TWA, alternate work schdules.

Cons

If you are a good engineer, you better look around and move to competitors. So expensive health insurance, only 6k support for college education ( GM supports 8k ), 3k bonus in 2011 ( 11k for GM ), no ford car purchase voucher ( GM gives 1K voucher every year ), on and on and on....

Terrible Annual Bonus

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very easy to make money here if you are an average engineer. They do not care how good you are.

Cons

Annual bonus structure is a black box and the company picks amounts for you regardless of how much profit is generated. They cannot do that for UAW because UAW has a union. If you are an engineer, move to GM like me. I get 11% of my salary as annual bonus!

Engineers are leaving for GM. Be aware!

This company makes all the engineers the same or average down!

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation is inferior to other competitors like GM, so engineers either leave or just don't make good effort to develop cars. Employees' brothers, sisters, husbands work for other competitors, so they are well aware they are compensated below average by the company beginning from annual bonus, health insurance, and to other benefits like life or disability insurance.

Cons

There are just too many engineers idling on their desks doing nothing. It is just company's fault. Unhappy engineers are inefficient. So obvious. There is no promotions. I see everyday many engineers are searching for job openings at GM, which go fast because there are so many engineers in the waiting line. I was one of them, and now I am very pleased to make the decision to leave this company.

I wish the company could have treated the engineers better with competitive annual bonuses (AICP), better health insurance policy. The company is really short sighted. They might think they can save some money by shortchanging the engineers, but eventually that comes back and haunts the company because many quality engineers keep leaving the company for GM. Who would stay if they know they get only 5K dollars as annual bonuses when their friends at GM get 11k dollars as annual bonuses?
    I understand manufacturing automobiles are quite a complicated process, but still there are too many cost-ineffective managers and upper managers.
    The company also don't project the future well. There are so underwhelming cars like MKT or Flex that nobody buys. Nobody understands who approved these vehicle programs in the first place. Ironically those who approved these programs receive millions of dollars as annual bonuses and free company cars. Only ground soldiers like GSR employees work hard and bring paltry annual bonuses home. Shame, shame.

Very Unhappy Electrical Engineer

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can live a decent life with your salary, but once you compare yourself to your friends at crosstown rivals, your life becomes quite miserable...

Cons

Stinky PDC restrooms. Horrible office areas with dust. Industry worst benefits (but best for assembly line workers like UAW). You get a few thousand dollars while your friends at crosstown rivals get over 10k annual bonuses. Then, you see your CEO gets several hundreds million dollars as compensations, which will make your hard work look like something a child can do. Your promotion will never happen unless you are handsome and MBA grduate. Your health insurance premium and deductible money will cut your salary heavily.

Make salaried employees' (especially, GSR and LL6) annual profit sharing money, AICP, competitive. We know we are getting half the bonus our friends at GM get. Almost every year, our company profit is larger than theirs. We achieve this with a less number of salaried employees than the crosstwon rivals. We do not understand why we are getting only half the bonuses they are getting at GM.
    Do you know so many engineers are now applying for job openings at GM?

Look around. You are very poorly compensated.

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Dearborn Heights, MI
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Dearborn Heights, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many nice supervisors, although they do not know how poorly they are compensated compared to other companies in auto industry. I know it now because I left this company last year and joined the one in Warren, MI (GM).

Cons

Honestly people who say here this company has good benefits never worked for GM or other auto companies before. I feel sorry for them. They do not know what they are missing. Do you know GSR grade 7 at GM gets more profit sharing money than Ford supervisors at Product Development? Poor engineers at Ford. I am very glad I left this company before it is too late. Now I save more than 2k dollars for health insurance.

You cannot hide truth forever. Please compensate your salaried employees as you treat directors or CEO with bonuses.

Bureaucratic but thorough and rewarding

Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, people are very exciting to work with, great opportunities to be involved in a wide range of divisions such as media, marketing, product development, etc. Willing to let you travel for work or work from home. Products are exciting.

Cons

Pay isn't extremely compelling compared to others, often times different divisions silo tasks, way too many meetings, large lack of task accountability when it comes to next step so more meetings get created, because a lot of the engineering is supplier-based there is less hands-on engineering in product development BUT it is present in research and launch duties.

Tell the lower managers to take more direct responsibility for tasks so as to lessen the amount of meetings required to complete a task. Don't involve as many lower level engineers in meetings they don't need to be in.

Not much going on

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No good reason to pay horrible profit sharing money. Always industry worst to salaried employees.

Cons

Your work hard, but profits go to UAW and upper management, not to general salaried roll employees. Glad I left this company and making more money at GM.

High health insurance cost is killing me....

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Every year health insurance premium and deductible go up 10 times faster than my salary increase. I am getting poorer and poorer.

Cons

High health insurance cost. Little annual bonus compared to competitors. GM gives 11% of engineers' salaries as annual bonuses. Mine is about half of that. My wife works for GM. So, I use GM's health insurance through my wife.

This company makes their engineers outdated and unwilling.

Former Employee - Product Design Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quite free office life. Decent pay. That is pretty much it. Below average health insurance. Terrible annual bonuses compared to competitors in auto industry

Cons

Engineers are getting frustrated for the last 5 years due to very disappointing annual bonuses. Every year they believe they deserve much more than that because the company generated the best profit in the auto industry, but their profit sharing money is half the GM. After 5 years at Ford, I had to leave last year to join GM.

No Future Here

Current Employee - Body Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Body Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good engineers willing to take leads and innovate.

Cons

The benefit and compensation level are not just up to par. Enginners are always ready to jump the ship looking for companys that provide better annual bonuses and health insurance.

Ford Motor Company Photos