Ford Motor Company

Updated January 29, 2015
3.7

Ford Motor Company President & CEO Mark Fields
Mark Fields

Pros
  • a lot of flexibility in the field (they like to call it "work-life balance") (in 87 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are competitive (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Make just a small effort to provide work-life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Long Hours, rotating shift, no compensation for interns unless you are a trainee (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Amazing Place

Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Ford College Graduate in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ford is awesome. Every day I am surrounded by engineers who put in a lot of work and effort to make sure the best they can do is going into their work. Work hours are very flexible, lots of autonomy, there is no micromanaging at all. Managers/ supervisors are so approachable and willing to help its ridiculous ( I am a new hire and know a few higher level managers and can email them or instant message them anytime and they always respond and are very helpful). Pay is competitive, benefits are good. It's a very big company, so work/life balance fluctuates depending where you go, but for the most part I'd say its pretty good. Plenty of opportunities to travel all over the world, I was almost sent to Spain for 2 weeks within my first 4 months of working. Ford gives you from a little before Christmas to a couple days after new years off as part of just holiday time off, not part of your vacation. So this is an additional like 2 weeks of paid vacation, on top of your vacation days (HUGE pro). Its an awesome place to work, I have been very pleased.

Cons

Michigan is gorgeous in the summer, but is a very gloomy cold place in the winter. If you don't like the cold or are not used to it, this is a big con. Detroit isn't as bad as most people think, but there are some sketchy areas (some incredible ones too). In some departments (crash and safety engineering for instance) work/life balance is not good. For most people, during 4th of July you are forced to use 4 vacation days.. this sucks because you only get 10 your fist couple of years. Facilities where you work are very dated and ugly. Makes for kind of a gloomy environment. There are a lot of cons that you will get just because Ford is so huge, like dealing with IT, that will be the same pretty much any time you work for a big company though, lots of communication hold-ups and delays.

Let me work during 4th of July!

System Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Intern in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

Big company, u can learn a lot

Cons

pay is low, no benefit, no overtiem

Great environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

Great environment, 8 hour work days, Many team activities

Cons

To many non-value added policies

Political

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ford Motor Company

Pros

Good pay and benefits package.

Cons

If not nepotism, then politics or ole' buddy system. Anything but merit.

Internal auditing of promotional systems.

Good Company cares about employees

I have been working at Ford Motor Company

Pros

A lot of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Management needs to be more open

My experience was overall beneficial.

Former Employee - Receptionist in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Novi, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers
    Good salary
    Great interpersonal experience

Cons

I do not have any cons for this company

none

Endless Opportunities and great people

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to completely change positions every year and a half if you desire. Flexible work schedule. Challenging work.

Cons

Like and big company, internal politics can be frustrating.

Work together, and please make decisions faster. Too often progress is delayed of derailed because of a couple squeaky wheels. Please be bold, and ignore the whiners.

Low-quality engineers and treats people like children

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ford offers employees the ability to rotate into other parts of the business (and even requires this for college graduates). They offer tuition assistance, a patent rewards program and some unique benefits (ie. use of Ford lawyers for certain personal cases).

Cons

Leadership seems to be a huge problem within my organization. Nobody wants to take charge to make a product truly excellent, people just want to coast by without doing any hard work. A week stuck in meetings is a successful week to a lot of these people, even if no quantifiable work gets done after all the meetings.

Ford treats employees like children. Employees have to go to mandatory hour-long "trainings" that basically tell you not to post confidential material on social networks and not to accept bribes from customers. IT sends out emails like "Cyber Steve learns about safe Web browsing" with a picture of a little cartoon IT guy telling you to use a secure password. It's insulting to be a professional engineer and having people treat you like a child.

Another big problem is Ford promotes peopled based on how long you've been with the company instead of the quality of your work. This leads to, for example, an IT employee being promoted to supervisor of a production software team just because he's been at Ford the longest. These are just two different worlds and they don't mesh well together, which is why some of these production products are a disaster. People should be promoted based on the quality of their work, not for how many years they can sit behind the same desk.

I have yet to meet someone at Ford who understands the difference between good software and bad software. People seem to think that if "it works" then it's good software and the project is good to ship. No! That is absolutely wrong! Just because the software works in a black-box test environment doesn't mean it's robust, readable, flexible or maintainable. Some of the software I've seen has been an absolute nightmare and my superiors refuse to let me make it any better because "it already works". Come back to me in 5 years when you have to make a change that becomes impossible to implement and tell me "it works".

Management needs to start recognizing their exceptional employees and rewarding them for their excellent work. Similarly, management needs to recognize bad work and work with employees to make themselves better. Doing bad work is fine (we've all done it at some point), but continuously doing bad work and never improving yourself is not fine. People who refuse to learn and refuse to improve themselves should be fired because a single such person can destroy a project with their bad code.

Management should also promote based on ability and skill instead of length of tenure. Someone who's been in seat fabric design for 20 years should not be promoted to run a software team - it makes absolutely no sense.

Line Assembler perspective

Current Employee - Line Assembler in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Line Assembler in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great pay plus benefits. Great way to meet new people increased chances of career oppurtunities

Cons

Harsh working environment. Management can be full of bullies

Learn how to trust your workers. Not all are bad or incompetent.

Great Company to Work For, Best in Business

Current Employee - Research Engineer
    Current Employee - Research Engineer

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and atmosphere. I appreciate the strong need for innovation and how open management is to transparency. There is a wide variety of things to contribute to as long as you initiate and make it happen!

Cons

Decision making can be slow and getting special software onto your computer can take days to get approved. Sometimes the work can become stagnant at time. Management can sometimes be bureaucratic but definitely less in comparison to other workplaces.

Continue to be open to ideas & creativity from younger engineers. They have a lot to contribute in helping the company grow.

Ford Motor Company Photos