Ford Motor Company (UK)

www.ford.co.uk

Ford Motor Company (UK) Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Ford Motor Company (UK) – Laindon – “Ford Dunton”

Ford Motor Company (UK) – Laindon – “Ford Dunton”

Ford Motor Company (UK) Chairman and Managing Director Roelant de Waard

Roelant de Waard

Great Company to work for

Pros+Multi national company with wide variety of opportunity
    +frequent travel across Europe and to US

ConsI cannot really think of any

Global, Inclusive work culture

Software Planning (Current Employee) Laindon, England (UK)

ProsFrontiers of Diesel Engine Technology, Friendly and helpful people help you get into your new job and later on. Opportunities to work on state of art tools and new technologies; one week dedicated for training.

ConsBusiness Tools and Processes are not able to keep up with complexity and increase in number of vehicle programs being delivered, challenges in professional development and growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove tools and processes to reduce time spent on crisis management

Personal Assistant

Administrator (Current Employee) Laindon, England (UK)

ProsGreat relaxed atmosphere, good salary, friendly collegues staff members

ConsYou are treated different to permanent employees, never have a chance to become a Ford Employee unless you have a degree even if its a cleaning degree, to many people who like to show you they are above you! Should treat all employees the same and not freeze them out!

Advice to Senior Managementpraise and recognise all staff members,contract permanent etc, ensure all are treated the same!
    take a chance and if someone has been there a while and doing a good job offer them a job and stability!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed the internship

Product Strategy (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood corporate culture, good global exposure, job security and the highest salary for engineers

ConsBusiness is slow in Europe; consultant you work with constantly worry about being fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is key

Useful experience but definately not somewhere I'd want to stay for long

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

ProsBeing an car OEM there is a lot you can get experience of such as working on programmes for different markets, working with a lot of people from different countries as well as the various technical areas (planning, R&D, development, production, costs, volumes, etc.)

ConsA lot of meetings which accomplish little. Some people seem to have excessive work loads, others very little. Many managers seem to be in the position for reasons other than ability.

Worst of all, there a lot of people who have been there a long time, perhaps envious of the degree-level younger staff and generally disillusioned with their own lives and careers, who are a pain to work with. A lot of younger employees then seem to either fall into a similar attitude or get frustrated and leave.

Ford - Component Engineer

Component Engineer (Current Employee) Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

ProsGood salary for engineer in UK

ConsPoor quality, overworked, understaffed in the UK.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your staff and employ enough people it doesnt cost you back in warrenty.

Friendly atmosphere to work within..

Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee) Dagenham, England (UK)

ProsOne of the Reputed companies around..

Consnothing at the moment lets see...

Advice to Senior Managementwould be better if recruit more youths..

It is great experience but too early to tell.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Laindon, England (UK)

ProsIt provides a good work and home balance. They offer a good benefits package. It allows traveling to different Ford plant within Europe and Africa.

ConsIt requires some traveling which could be difficult if you have a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone yet, it is too early.

Good

ProsVery knowledgeable people, willing to share their experience

ConsSome people have been there so long, they are entrenched in their ways

So close to greatness.................management need to step up their game

ProsSome truly world class people work inside Ford, the vast majority of them with a real passion to make great Ford vehicles. The kind of people that always inspire you and manage to teach you new things every day. Really diverse multinational workforce that works well as a team.
    People are normally willing to help out and will generally bend over backwards to help.

Being able to work and deliver work class engines and vehicles that you can see on a daily basis in the market place is a really satisfying experience.

The basic salary is actually pretty good for the automotive industry. And there's also the final salary pension scheme.
    Work life balance is normally reasonable in most areas of the company - car-parks start to empty quickly after 16:00. And there isn't undue pressure to put in extra hours.
    Holiday allowance is generous, starting from 26 days + bank holidays

IT systems, administration support etc - all work well.
    Computer hardware, whilst not top of the range, works well.
    IT Help desk actually do what they say on the tin and 99/100 help you.

ConsApproval process is fabulously complicated, all important decisions are still made in the US but every man and his/her dog has to pre-review any approval paper and make obligatory tweaks and cosmetic changes. Project gateways take between 10-12 meetings to actually get approved......i.e. somewhere close to 3 months start to finish - if you are lucky and don't get bounced out of any reviews. Process takes so long that data is constantly being updated and tweaked so that paper that you start with bear little resemblance to the one that you finish with. Countless people are tied up at any one time in supporting these reviews / data gathering.
    And as soon as you've actually completed a project approval, you have to immediately start preparing for the next one -- complete madness.
    I swear more time is actually spent preparing papers/presentations than it is engineering.

And there is a tendency for management to turn red status into green just by shouting louder.....seriously that doesn't help anyone. If something is wrong, then fix the root cause rather than sweeping it under the carpet.
    We have a system to determine the project development time - trying to compress the project timing so it all looks pretty on paper is never going to be a good idea -- all these launch issues that we have......don't you see the connection?

Stupid amounts of red-tape and penny watching - e.g. all travel has to be sent to European VP for approval.......and individual directors have to approve before the VP approves it. Pointless - don't they have better things to do with their time? And do they actually even look at the list or just stamp it?

Senior management are obsessed with watching the competition - if it is not VW, then it is Renault-Nissan or the Koreans. Yes, it is important to keep an eye on other OEMs but not to the degree that you knee jerk react to every press release. And as far as I can make out, there is not a proper, long-term strategy in place. I would much rather see the top brass developing a proper, long-term vision which clearly stated where they wanted Ford to be in 5, 10 and 15 years time in terms of specific goals and then we could develop a cohesive strategy that took us there. At the moment we are not masters of our own destiny and we seem to bounce from one reactionary decision to another.

HR department is worse than useless - I am not actually convinced that they actually exist. All career progression / development is completely reliant on the individual to organise and keep ticking over. And you have to know how the system works in order to get ahead - there is still a large whiff of "right place, right time" to career planning. And over recent years (due to the restructuring process) there has been a shortage of opportunities which has led to a certain amount of frustration and unnecessary staff attrition. And on the engineering side of the company, people are promoted for fixing problems and being a good engineer --> a good engineer doesn't necessarily translate into a good manager. There are some truly bad middle managers buried in the company who should have been removed a long time ago but there too much of a yes culture and without a strong HR department/process these people can get away with murder.

Also certain parts of the organisation are under-resourced which leads to tensions as generally these areas are the implementation/delivery areas. So there is always a bun fight about whose project is more important.

Complete lack of a reward and recognition system - no incentive to put in a stellar performance if you'll get paid exactly the same as the bloke sitting next to you who comes in at 10 and leaves at 15.

Necessary evil of a global company -- timezones....trying to coordinate projects with remote located teams and having to communicate by email or getting less than an hour a day to try and pack a day's worth of meetings into.

Advice to Senior Management- remove the needless layers of red-tape/shorten the decision making process
    - implement a proper reward and recognition system for high performance and start to penalise poor performance
    - start sticking to the systems / process that are in place -- stop compressing projects, we have a product development system for a reason....to ensure quality is engineered into the products from the beginning.......if something is flagged as RED, don't use your magic stick to wave it to GREEN
    - get the HR department to actually do something productive for both employees and the company
    - stop focusing on the competition, concentrate on making our products the best that they can be and let Ford be the segment leader that others worry about and copy.
    - develop a coherent, LONG TERM strategy, plan for the next 20/30 years and stick to your guns
    - who's going to replace Alan???...............we don't want to go back to where we were so you'd better get the right person in

Worked for Ford Motor Company (UK)? Contribute to the Community!