Ford Motor

Ford Motor Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Ford Motor President, CEO, and Director Alan R. Mulally

Alan R. Mulally

Pros:
  • "Ford promotes maintaining a very good work life balance"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Great pay and benefits including a new car every year"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes women are given a hard time when they take maternity leave, or try to utilize the work-life balance policy"
    in 19 reviews
  • "You might end up working long hours without recognition"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Professional Toolbox

Area Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ford Motor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUnder the right leadership, FMC provides top notch technical and leadership development opportunities that translate well into other industries. The size of the company allows for many developmental assignments in many regions across the globe.

ConsPerformance structure within the company is broken out into distinct silos that hinder leaders from working together to make good long term business decisions for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a reputation for putting the performance of the company before personal financial rewards. Failing to do so is obvious to your team and negatively impacts the team's desire to support the goals of the organization

Positive

Commodity Buyer (Current Employee)
Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat opportunities to move around

Consvery few young employees around

Most valuable professional automotive experience of any kind any where!

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time

ProsDealing with highly professional, motivated, and talented individuals anywhere on the planet.

ConsSome individual talents are not fully recognized and nurtured.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should spend 20% of their daily duties in human resource development and ask their subordinated to spend at least 5% of their time doing the same plus at least another 1 week/year of training.

Great culture great people great brand

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking around a single plan, smart leaders, smart employees

ConsToo much work given the employees available

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Good Place to Work for

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time

ProsColleagues are helpful and friendly. Contact counterparts all over the world on a daily basis so you really have a global exposure.

ConsCorporate structure is complicated. Too many meetings.

Product Engineering

Product Engineer (Current Employee)
Livonia, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Ford culture and the people you work with.

ConsMultitude of processes. Major learning curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce complexity of systems

Go Further Go Forward!

CFD Analysis Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work. The learning never stops. It's like one big family. The focus is to have a uniform work/personal life balance.

ConsI have none so far

Great Place To Work

Business IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPlenty of opportunities to be exposed to many business units and new challenges. My current and past managers have supported opportunities to expand my skills in current and previous positions. Ford promotes maintaining a very good work life balance. Pay is good and so are bonuses.

ConsThere are still some employees that cling to the past Ford culture and are slow to change. It would be good if IT leaders promoted more of an Go Fast To Go Further mentality so I could respond faster to business requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementFord IT does need to provide more development opportunities to gain management skills for non supervisory employees so the skill set is established and demonstrated in the event of future openings.

Fair, well compensated

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsAbove average benefits - bonus - compensation
Lots of opportunities
Good Management

ConsOlder outdated working conditions / offices
Older (than average) workforce

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of opportunity at Ford. I do think the workforce needs to continue to be updated and energized. Projects and decisions do move slower than need be, and direction can be a bit vague. Keep advancing the people who put the company first, value the opportunity they have, and do not have a sense of entitlement! (ahem.. ms. woman don't move up and are replaced with men... Not the one's who are managers, they expected more of themselves, and there's quite a few)

Rewarding career possible if you can avoid the fire breathing dragons

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAlan Mullaly is an inspirational leader.
Bill Ford is a genuine and caring leader.
The Ford family is supportive of a Ford Motor Company.

There are many opportunities and incredible employees.
The white collar benefits for long term employees are great. New employees will not have the same level of benefits. Pay is competitive. The time off at Christmas is wonderful.

IT Management is beginning to focus on attracting and retaining talent.

Lots of interesting work.

Alan Mullaly - need I say more?

ConsInsane levels of bureaucracy.
Poor performers are often relegated to policy, process and standards creation and documentation - which results ever increasing layers of insanity. When you have the clueless creating processes, standards and policies of course they won't make sense.
Poor performers have the added benefit of being able to hide behind the policies they create. Nope, I can't do task XYZ because it is against our policy/standards.

Empire building and turf wars.
Long term managers rarely cooperate with other managers. Some sabotage other manager's projects. They do not focus on what is best for Ford. They focus on what is best for themselves. Managers will hire employees they don't need just because they have the budget to do so - and don't want to lose the unneeded budget.
Long term managers and other senior employees have a sense of entitlement and complacency. Many are retired on the job. These same people enjoy instilling fear in junior staff members (fear of layoffs, fear of getting reamed in a meeting).

Difficult to change positions if you are highly valued by your manager.
If you are highly productive and motivated, you will shine and be valuable to your manager. If you want to advance to another position you must have your manager's approval. Since you are a rare bird, you will not be given permission to leave your current position. The moral of the story is do at most average work if you want to advance at Ford.

Top achievers do not receive any extra monetary compensation.
If you excel and receive wonderful reviews - do not expect that the money will follow. Like a good parent Ford loves its employees equally. The guy down the hall who
spends 40 hours a week playing solitaire will get the same raise that you do.

Wack a mole
If you bring forth new ideas or want to improve processes be prepared to be the mole in the wack a mole game. Long term employees are highly skilled at this game and are vicious participants.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlan we need you for another 5 years. Please, Pretty Please with sugar on top.

Ensure all LL5 and LL6 have a lock on One Ford Behaviors.

When employees reporting to a supervisor regularly quit, recognize that the supervisor is the problem and move that person to a non-supervisory position. For heavens sake don't promote them and make even more employees lives a living hell.

Create a robust technical career path for IT. Consider going back to the old grade system - the removal of GSR 9 and 10 and creation of LL6 was the beginning of the technical talent drain for Ford. When the technically gifted have no possibility of salary increases or advancement - there is no reason to stay at Ford.

Relocate all the employees with the old-Ford mentality to a special projects team. Ford cannot afford to let them continually infect new employees with their attitude.

Worked for Ford Motor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ford Motor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ford Motor CEO Alan R. Mulally. All 740 reviews posted anonymously by Ford Motor employees.