Ford Motor

Updated Mar 10, 2014

Ford Motor President, CEO, and Director Alan R. Mulally

Alan R. Mulally

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great engineering experience with a multinational

Powertrain Manufacturing (Former Employee)

I worked at Ford Motor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTravel the world, cutting edge automotive technology

Consjust a number within a huge organisation

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job

bad experience

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 5 years

Prosnone there is nothing good i could think of

Conssalary and work hours very bad

Advice to Senior Managementshould resign

Brilliant company to work for in terms of career progress and development

Finance (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Ford Motor full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Working life compared to other companies....Big Brand on your CV....Good Growth... Will give you many opportunities to develop....Many Social events that are great.

ConsLow Wage as many other finance companies give better wage.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent employer but personal development is upto the personnel

Industrial Engineer (Current Employee)
Basildon, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent Salary in the industry
Looks after you well
Pension schemes available

ConsPersonal development is not strictly monitored and appraised

asst manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor for more than 3 years

Prosvery nice company . take care of emloyeeess

Consbit slow in decision making. takes time

Advice to Senior Managementquick decision making and more awareness for competitive products

Lots of opportunity

Alliance Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTruly global company which provides opportunities to engage with colleagues from all over the world and for career development through international postings.
Dynamics and complexity of the global automotive industry provides a constant stream of new and interesting challenges.
Competitive salaries and excellent benefits (30 days paid vacation, final salary pension, car schemes, private health cover, etc)

ConsHuge organization with at times overwhelming bureaucracy.
Highly cyclical industry, training and development spending often one of the first things to be cut in a downturn.
Helps to be passionate about cars.

Dunton!

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Brentwood, England (UK)

I have been working at Ford Motor

ProsSize of company is very good, everybody knows "FORD" and it is a major employer on everyone's CV. If you happen to like the vehicles and products you are in favorable situation.

ConsMost of the permanent employees here in Brentwood have spent all their lives at FORD, therefore they don't know other company cultures or any other products. Motivation is pretty much down, especially due to the unexpected downturn of some vehicle development programs due to the credit crisis.

Having seen other vehicle OEM's I can say moral was the worst at FORD.

Working in an office where almost everyone is a middle-aged male worker doesn't help improving office culture either, other manufactures have a more diverse workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is not acceptable that senior management has not received proper and recent training in people management and obviously management is not chosen by soft skills either.

Not going down

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Basildon, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Ford Motor

ProsVery good benefits, 2 non taxable low cost lease cars at Management Role level, Final Salary Scheme, healthcare. Great product portfolio in Europe and a structured action plan to recover position in US

ConsPay for performance structure does not make a big difference even when 'exceeds expectation'

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at pay for performance package

Good pay but no future?

Line Operator (Current Employee)
Dagenham, England (UK)

I have been working at Ford Motor

ProsThe pay is very good and most of the workers are good people to work with
the production line i work on now is very clean and also relatively quiet
whilst limited there are various jobs that come along that could lead to career advancement
good benefits, after a lot of time off this year the company where very supportive and its care and medical team are top notch(although i believe they are the focus of future cost cuts)

Consabsolutely no communication from management as to our job security and how the downturn in production is going to affect plans for the plant in the long term.
morale is getting lower from the workers like myself with low service who are increasingly worried about our jobs with no information from our union or the company
i see no future working at a diesel engine plant
although im not privy to all the work they do, i'm seeing management stand around all shift doing nothing that isn't already being done by a group leader/maintenance or even ourselves. if they have all shift to stand around looking at terminals and playing with there mobile phones i can't help but believe management is very bloated
it feels like the union stands between us and the company, and both feel unapproachable and rarely have answers on key issues
production lines across the site are run by different standards with newer guys put onto more difficult jobs whilst being on lesser pay and also being under scrutiny of management more often even if they are more productive than the guys with longer service
the company does not recognise Repetative stress injury on jobs and enforce a policy of non-rotation between jobs on the grounds of quality, this leads to guys on harder jobs getting aches and pains that could be avoided by rotation of jobs. telling the workers to carry on until they are in pain then just goto medical is not a solution.

Advice to Senior Managementrather than try to slim line an incredibly productive work force, perhaps management "trimming" should be looked at before morale begins to slow production/quality
weekly team meeting's to be enforced across the plant to keep workers up todate, and to make them feel part of a team and able to contribute ideas
run all 4 production line's equally instead of forcing the newer guys onto the new lines and expect them to work harder than the older guys despite being on less pay
retire workers with long-term restrictions, they are unproductive

A great place to work and develop... just don't try and rush.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Brentwood, England (UK)

I have been working at Ford Motor

ProsGreat people that support your goals. Excellent belief in the staff and a willingness to be flexible in work practices.

ConsSlow rate of change - the company moves slowly which can be frustrating. Motivation can sometimes be tough as there is no carrot or stick - do well and you get a pat on the back - do terribly and get the same!

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to slim down the organization and start delegating responsibility to lower levels - allow people to make agile and brave decisions - don't over-analyse every decision and require so many levels of review and approva.
Also, start getting tough and poor workers - if someone if cruising through their day let them go.... we need motivated people only.

Worked for Ford Motor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ford Motor reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ford Motor CEO Alan R. Mulally. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Ford Motor employees.