Fordham University

Updated September 28, 2014
3.7

Fordham University President and Trustee Rev Joseph M. McShane
Rev Joseph M. McShane

Pros
  • You get tuition remission after working here for 6 months (in 8 reviews)

• Very nice people and work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Administration of other related departments (student employment, for example (in 4 reviews)

• A lot of college kids which can get annoying (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

I have been working at Fordham University

Pros

Connected with the people there and good company

Cons

A lot of college kids which can get annoying

try and pay more, pay is very basic compared to other places

Review for GA position

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Fordham University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunity, learn a lot from the professor. I also get to know many staff on the career management center and that's an edge for me to look for job in the future. Good benefit for a student worker

Cons

Have to come in out side office hours. For a GA position this is demanding and I have to work on every bit of research or any work given.

Great atmosphere

I have been working at Fordham University

Pros

Pleasant atmosphere. The office is a friendly environment and it's non judgement. There is always some sort of campus event going on and all staff is welcome.

Cons

Have to pay for parking and since it's a rather large campus, it may involve a long walk to the building that your office may be located it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work I learned alot in the maintenance and janitorial field.

Former Employee - Cleaner I  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cleaner I in New York, NY

I worked at Fordham University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits so many paid days of in the year if you are part of their union which is 503 Teamsters. Also if you are an employee with over a yer of employment your spouse and children can enroll at Fordham University tuition free.
    Pay is great I made 19.05 an hour starting as a custodian they called it Cleaner 1.

Cons

Work distribution, overtime was not east to come by, even though as a custodian doing heavy work I noticed the need for a few extra hands to complete certain jobs. Pressure to complete tasks at times was over the top in my opinion, and I think there is a lack of understanding for personal emergencies,

Very educational experience.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bronx, NY

I worked at Fordham University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Worked as a lab assistant in the chemistry department. Did research on tartaric aic. Learned a lot during the year and a half I was there. It was not a salary job but it was a job in which I learned a lot about applying the scientific process to action. I also got to put the lab techniques I had been learning all along into action.

Cons

Was a very free environment and sometime lacked clear guidance.

The reputation is great but the conservative environment adds to a non-diverse staff and faculty.

I have been working at Fordham University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are loyal employees at Fordham that try to create an atmosphere of camaraderie.

Cons

There's nothing innovative about the work environment. If a process could be implemented to improve a system it will not be considered unless it's free or inexpensive. The support staff are treated like second class citizens. The pay is extremely low and it's difficult to get a raise unless you know someone. The Human Resource Department is the worse Human Resource Department I've ever witnessed. If they get something right it's a miracle. The norm is that they'll make the same mistake over and over. It doesn't matter that everyone complains about how incompetent they are.

Encourage staff to participate in professional development opportunities and show appreciation for their work more than once a year.

Fordham IT Customer Care Review

Former Employee - Fordham IT Support  in  Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Fordham IT Support in Bronx, NY

I worked at Fordham University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very nice people and work environment. The pace of calls is not too fast or slow. It was a good student hob to have while at college.

Cons

Can get boring and repetitive with similar issues to resolve every time. Hard to get a lot of hours.

Graduate Assistantships

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Fordham University as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunity to work in your division in order to get tuition remission, made a lot of good connections in my field

Cons

There is no enforcement of the hours work so while you get paid for 8 hours of work per week for each assistantship assignment, some people are working 5 hours a week and some are expected to work 30 or 40. A lot of the day to day running of the offices gets shifted to the graduate assistants and people who are actually paid salaries of the university have no idea what their own policies and procedures are when students leave for the summer or graduate.

Great benefits, very political place to work

Current Employee - Administration  in  Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Administration in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Fordham University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work for a short period of time while studying; some faculty and employees really care about student experience, but the vast majority are just trying to maintain status quo and hold on to their jobs

Cons

Poor management: uneven distribution of workload, no incentive to and in some cases, even hostility toward taking initiative or making processes more efficient; very little opportunity for growth

Gear employees truly to mission statement, improve student experience by continually updating curriculum, systems and processes, allocate resources appropriately.

Desk Assistant

I worked at Fordham University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours and awesome coworkers

Cons

Overtime is hard to come by

Worked for Fordham University? Contribute to the Community!