Forest Labs Reviews

Reset

1. Not a great culture

Former Employee - Anonymous in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Forest Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and interesting projects Relatively few layers of management

Cons

Lack of transparency No career development Little work life balance Inexperienced managers Good performance is not rewarded or recognized

Advice to Management

Managers need training on how to manage

So Glad to no longer be a deckhand on the Titanic.

Former Employee - Manager in Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Commack, NY

Pros

At least the checks cleared and the health care benefits were ok.

Cons

Toxic management and culture. Complete lack of leadership. Lack of ethics and integrity. More focused on shareholder value than on the people making the place function.

Advice to Management

Drop dead!

Not a Good Place

I worked at Forest Labs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is something that is not an issue with this company. Work about 6 hours per day. Compensation is well below average.

Cons

Compensation is well below industry standards. The management is does not have a clue about what it takes to build relationships or drive sales.

Advice to Management

Do not be robots. Take an interest in your clients. The reward will be increased sales, instead of trying to create a market that does not really exist.

5. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Forest Labs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products, great partners, great real estate.

Cons

Lack of transparency and new management destroyed the company at the expense of hard working employees in order to add eight figures to a few coffers. Lack of diversity and females in senior management.

Advice to Management

Current CEO is a corporate raider and cannot effectively run a pharmaceuticals company. His strategy is acquisition and/or sale.

Project Manager

Former Employee - IT PMO Portfolio Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT PMO Portfolio Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Forest Labs (Less than a year)

Pros

local company easy to commute to by car

Cons

very political environment, high level of mistrust

Management does not value employees

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

The bonus structure is comparable to that of other pharmaceutical companies. Company car choices are nice. Ok, so those aren't really the greatest pros, but I am trying to be positive here.

Cons

Micro-management is the norm here at Forest Laboratories. The problem seems to start at the top and trickle down, and by the time it gets to the rep level, it is a landslide of fear and intimidation. Even if you have great numbers, as I do, you are made to fear for your job on an almost weekly basis. My team is on the cusp of making it to President's Club and my teammate was just let go for subpar performance! Are you kidding me?! The guy was in the top 25% of the company and they fired him for not "enhancing sales effectiveness". The problem with him was that he didn't buy into what our manager was selling. He wasn't vocal about it or anything, but you could tell that he wasn't into the whole kool-aid drinking culture here. They put him on a plan. His field ride scores, (which are very subjective, by the way), consistently went down over the course of his "performance improvement" plan. Then at the end of the period, he was let go. This is what they do here. Don't let the fact that there are no layoffs fool you into thinking that jobs at Forest are secure, because they truly are not. I have decided that I am leaving the company as soon as I can find anything with comparable compensation. I am so tired of this. I am a top performing rep and I am leaving on my own, before they cut me too.

Advice to Management

My advice is more to human resources, and it is this: Pay attention to the high amount of turnover that is associated with specific managers and investigate it. This is not a coincidence. When these managers place a representative on a plan, it should be viewed with the utmost level of scrutiny. Great employees are being let go and or leaving on their own due to this mismanagement.

Disappointing

Pros

The new talent they hired from outside

Cons

-Workload is not realistic -No sense of urgency -Salary is not FMV -Think innovatively

Advice to Management

-Continue to hire from outside and get rid of the employees that are resistent to change

Informatics executives are out of control

Current Employee - Research Informatics
    Current Employee - Research Informatics

Pros

Good location with nice views. Great benefits and perks. Salary is decent as well although stock options not performing.

Cons

Informatics senior executives do not really listen and do not manage their staff due to lack of professionalism and it is reflected on everyone downstream several levels below. only in it for themselves and managing up by putting on a different face so to look good is not a very good way to run IT. Staff productivity, morale, motivation and attitudes are really poor across all Informatics areas due to extraordinarily bad management. Unnecessary stress, politics and pressure. It is true that most of the folks in senior roles are in some shape or form "connected" to CIO and SVP and hired from outside - clear sign that there is no internal staff development to move up. Forest has a lot of good talent that is not being utilized effectively.

Advice to Management

Appoint new SVP Corporate Informatics and direct reports.

10. An another sad story about people in power benefitting the most by working the least & leaving scraps for lower echelon.

Current Employee - Scientist IV in Commack, NY
    Current Employee - Scientist IV in Commack, NY

Pros

Benefit package is fair, what one would one expect from another fortune 1000 companies. Flexible working hours for employees in non-managment positions. Also, casual dressing for people in non-mamngment position is a plus. And in my opinion Entry level salary for lower level jobs with Bachelors and Master degrees is at par what would one expect.

Cons

Getting promotion, atleast in my department (PR& D) is based on how well your are liked by your project leaders and group leader and has nothing to do with how hard working and deligent an employee you maybe. Manager is completely oblivious to what goes around him and takes little interest in employees professional growth and in fostering a happy and productive enviorment for his herd. From manager to the group leader and than to some project leaders (at the PR&D section) you will find personals who don't have the credentials as well as the aptitude and the attitude to be at the position where they are now. And in my opinion lack of competent employees is the root of all of Forest current problems.

Advice to Management

To higher managments I would say that its high time for them to start involving actively in grading the perfomance of all employees at most crucial departments.

11. Forest is OK

Current Employee - Principal Statistical Programmer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Statistical Programmer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Relatively reasonable work load compared to other pharma. Courteously middle management Reasonable pay package. OK insurance plans.

Cons

No work from home option Work location has no free parking promotion opportunities and frequencies are less compared to other pharma

Advice to Management

Listen, listen, listen Make decisions based on logic and business practices, rather than emotion and personal preference.

RSS Feed </> Embed