Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association

Darin Drabing

Very positive work experience

Current Employee - Client Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Client Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay, benefits and very caring people. People stay for years and those who work hard get promoted. I’ve been here for many years and worked at three locations and got a raise every year. It’s not easy work but it’s rewarding to feel like you’ve helped people get through the worst time in the life.

Cons

I just hope that the negative reviews are from people who are no longer working for this mortuary. People forget that this is a JOB and it requires hard work and dedication and especially in the mortuary field. People this sour should do everyone a favor and stay out of any business that works with people at the worst time in the life. This work isn’t easy but it’s rewarding.

Don’t let the negative comments bother you. People need to feel like it’s someone else’s fault when they’re not promoted. Managing any department in a mortuary can’t be easy.

Do not work here

Current Employee - Client Representative  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Client Representative in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, annual salary increase

Cons

non-union, at will employment, unclear job responsibilities, no set schedule - expect to work weekends and holidays

Ethical and fair to family clients and employees alike. There's no better place to work!!

I have been working at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Visionary company that cares for its employees and provides caring service to clients. We have a direct, open line to talk to anyone, at any level, anytime, with suggestions or criticisms. No politics or favortism, it feels like a family, and everyone goes out of thier way to help.

Cons

Not everyone is committed to serving the families that come to us in time of need to the fullest of thier abilities. The company is almost too patient and give too much benefit of the doubt to employees that should be long gone. I guess those are the people writing the bad reviews. They're crazy, though, just ask one of the hundreds of employees who have worked here for fiteen years or longer;-)

Thanl you for all you do on our behalf. It would be nice to go back to the suggesstion box system fo those that are too shy about giving thier ideas. I remember emlyee meetings were awards were given for the best suggesstion. It wouuld be fun to do that again. Be quicker to release employees that don't fit it. The good employees suffer when the are forced to work with people who don't get what we do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company to work for

Current Employee - Manager  in  Hollywood Hills, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Hollywood Hills, SC

Pros

This company offers the best benefits, the people are so nice and the management are awesome.

Cons

There no cons everything has been very positive for me.

Keep doing what you are doing. Things are better than ever"

An Organization To Believe In That Believes In Its Employees And Shows It

Pros

Forest Lawn is a unique organization that values its employees and shows it by offering great compensation and benefits, and fostering a culture of camaraderie. Looking at the tenure of its employees is a testament to this organization with numerous employees still working for Forest Lawn after 20, 30, even 40 years. Several supervisors, vice presidents, and even the President & CEO started as entry level employees before working their way up to their current positions, which shows the growth potential is infinite. Of the six companies I have worked for during my career, Forest Lawn is without a doubt the best organization I have worked for.

Cons

I suppose anyone can find something negative to say about any company. In my experience, I have not heard any negative comments from anyone who comes to work and does their job. Having worked at various companies in a variety of industries and seeing how most companies treat their employees, there are no cons to working at Forest Lawn.

Keep up the good work!

Great company. Struggling with change and dedicated to getting there.

Pros

Great benefits, including reimbursement for education. Dedicated to promoting from within. Culture of compassion and caring. Great internal structure of support for supervisors and managers.

Cons

Too top down, can lead to indecivisve managers who must check with their bosses before making everyday decisions. Could do better at ensuring new hires are acclimated into corporate culture. Could do lots better at identifying, mentoring and growing next generation of leadership.

Lack of training,
    No real consistency
    Promoting done on brown nosing system instead of skills and abilities.

I have been working at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association

Pros

Very well known company.
    Decent pay.
    Good benefits.

Cons

Lack of consistency and training in memorial counseling.
    Very top heavy company.
    Promoting based on how much you brown nose instead of your background and abilities.

It's very sad to see where we are, we lack training. We use to have a training manager with lots of great knowledge and experience. He would spend time with us working and helping us in our approach and taking care of family's needs instead of all over the place. Unfortunately he wasn't part of the click and was put away at Cypress for awhile until he got tired and left the company.
     Upper management like at Hollywood Hills and Covina are very clickish and show favoritism. Very inexperienced pushing and pushing numbers and satisfaction surveys with no experience in memorial counseling, they are a joke they no nothing but the Forest Lawn way of doing things. If we are going to survive the next 100 years as everyone keeps talking about we got to think outside the box.

THOSE WHO GAVE THIS PLACE 5 STARS NO DOUBT WORK IN EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT.

Former Employee - Advance Planner  in  Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Advance Planner in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, and nice employees.

Cons

I worked at Forest Lawn for 2 years. It was both rewarding and EXTREMELY HARD!

I left mainly because the opportunity for advance at this company is LIMITED TO NONE, particularly if you are not bi-lingual or WHITE. On two separate occasions I applied for positions, in an attempt to move out of sales. Both places I applied had a 95% Armenian customer base. Yet each time I applied, I was told that they were looking for someone who spoke Spanish. Huh???? Not sure why since there were plenty of Spanish speaking reps already on staff. Eventually, I learned the truth FROM HR, which was that they didn't promote those in sales. Sales pretty much was a DEAD END JOB. Supposedly, they told me this when they hired me, though I don't remember them doing so nor can I imagine them doing so.

The other thing you should know is that TURN OVER IS VERY HIGH at FOREST LAWN, especially in sales. And earning a living there is very hard. I don't care how hard you work. It will never be hard enough, and management will always make you feel as if your not making quota is your fault. Quota is $30,000 a month and $90,000 a quarter, and if you don't make it, they give you 1 quarter to make it up before they ax you, which explains the high turn over.

Think about it, how many people do you know who would enjoy talking about death whether it be theirs or that of a loved one. None. Now try to base your living on doing this. It doesn't matter that people know they are going to die, most don't want to plan for it or talk about it, not even if it will save them thousands in the end.

Now there are people at the company that make great money in sales, and good commissions, but it's rare and generally ALWAYS the same sales reps. Many, including some in management, think they are in bed with other managers and doing under handed things in order to sell.

WHOEVER WROTE THE GLOWING REVIEWS HERE ABOUT FOREST LAWN ARE LYING! Anyone claiming to have been employed there as long as they have, who would give these people glowing remarks, no doubt works in HR or is among the executive management.

My advice to you, If you are considering really working there, is to go to one of the parks and talk directly to some of the employees. Don't just ask how do you like working here? Ask about management's support, how many in their department have been promoted....

Don't de-value people.

Ok company to work for.

I have been working at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association

Pros

My experience wasn't too bad. The Covina location has some really great and very hard working employees. Good company benefits. They pay for your dental insurance and offer a decent priced health insurance.

Cons

There are a lot of politics and gossip in the workplace, but honestly, what place doesn't? Management at the time was terrible. Working hours seem like a drag and highly stressful. If you can't handle different personalities or emotions coming from families, it is probably not the ideal job for you.

Promote the people who really deserve it, not who you like the best. There are a lot of deserving individuals who should have advanced, but weren't given a chance.

You'd be treated better if you were homeless

Former Employee - Service Arrangements Representative Ibalmer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Service Arrangements Representative Ibalmer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The paycheck and benefits you will get every couple of weeks or so.
    The day they terminate you.
    Was a decent place to work when the family ran it.

Cons

Clients that are allowed free run of the place with no sense of direction.
    Highly inexperienced staff(and some in BIG positions)
    Complete disregard for the employees.
    Attempting to treat the help like it was Auschwitz.
    Vindictive and inexperienced management and leads(especially at Hollywood Hills Mortuary)
    Cliquish...worse than high school. You will learn quickly to have several BFF's and how to side step the backstabbers and wannabe"s(or will never be"s)
    Blatantly discriminatory promotion, hiring and termination procedures. Female, ethnic young and inexperienced will get you everywhere.
    Who you know will make or break you.
    Inability and inflexibility to treat their families properly

Outmoded business model.
    Current CEO has a very nasty temper. Anger him (and sometimes it doesn't take much), and one of his lackeys will be given the orders to terminate you.

Considering his backround and experience, Mr. Drabing should be well positioned to run this operation, but that is not the case. His temper, nastiness, inability to really get by those qualities and treating his employees like human beings. Also he has a really poor sense of direction for the company. Operates under a "change is good" mantra, but does not think it through. Once the place was out of the Llewellyn familys control, things started to slide into the toilet quickly. Mr. Drabing, you really should know better.

Worked for Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association? Contribute to the Community!