Forest Pharmaceuticals

Updated September 15, 2014
2.7

Forest Pharmaceuticals Chairman and CEO Howard Solomom
Howard Solomom

Pros
  • Good benefits, company works hard for employees (in 8 reviews)

• Flexibility in schedule/work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement, poor work-life balance, changing metrics (in 3 reviews)

• Is this how they expect to motivate sales reps by degrading them and using scare tactics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Specialty Representative

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Freedom, company car, great benefits

Cons

lots of hours outside of a normal workday

Every employee is different. Treat them that way

A great company to work for but in the midst of many changes.

Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay, people, training, diverse portfolio, vacation accrues quickly.

Cons

Management is nice but often acts as a puppet doing/saying what they are told to say. Difficult to gauge feedback because it often changes based on who is copied on an email etc.

Trust the Managers to do their job. Don't give them phrases to use on everyone. Let them give feedback based on their experiences. Then it is much easier to change/grow as a rep.

Signature/Sample Quota

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's outside sales so you have some autonomy. I say some because your iPad tracks every movement and time stamps your call activity.

Cons

The call metrics - I get reach & frequency - but having to leave a sample at a Dr's office that doesn't need them just so I can get a signature to prove I was there is counterproductive to reaching my goals.
    The base salary is insulting but if you have a family, mortgage etc sometimes you have to take a hit.

Hire adults for the sales force so you can treat said adults like adults and not micro manage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Autonomy of working in the field is great if you can be your own motivational driver.

Cons

There seems to always be misdirection coming from one place or another. Communication is terrible. It seems even when you're on top, it's not good enough, and you will not be recognized for anything you do right. Management at the DM level doesn't always have the degree of professionalism that one might expect from an established company.

Have clear and open communication. Make goals that are laid out, achievable, and give credit when those goals are reached. A level a fairness amongst peers would be commendable.

You either love it or hate it, depending on who your boss is.

Former Employee - Field Base Sam
    Former Employee - Field Base Sam

I worked at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good bonus opps
    Great benefits
    Growth opps (if you are basically preselected by higher ups)

Cons

Each Managment team has different styles, very competitive always competing and hiding good sales strategies...I get you want to win but the company offers bonuses if we all come out on top

Be consistent and knowledgeable. Nothing worse then seeking help and your mngr blows you off. Also have your teams back... They have to know they can trust someone to fight for them in this dog eat dog industry. If it's something like a small sample violation, inform the rep don't just go hand them over to sample compliance...you've lost their trust and respect.

Uncapped bonuses and great manager

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

uncapped bonuses, good PTO, great manager.

Cons

Lots of administrative busy work

Overall good experience

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent amount of resources, several potentially big products in pipeline, lots of incentives

Cons

Lots of reps in territories with overlapping products. Branded meds are getting more difficult drs to write

They have treated me fairly

Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair pay. I was not overly micro managed. Large product line. Profit shareing. Matched 6% 401k. Had a company work care.

Cons

Too many meetings. I think the salary was a little below average for industry standards. The company could have done a better job movivating employees with more bonuses that were attainable to the majority of reps

A company in steady decline since management change in late 2006/early 2007.

I worked at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

At one time the ability to make significant contribution to company was a way of life. This made going to work a pleasure and something you looked forward to as you knew there was great stuff going on and you could impact it, save the company money, and help people grow.

Cons

Moved to matrixed organization and placed people in leadership who knew little about the areas for which they were responsible. Further, majority of major decisions involved "teams" with excessive membership and everyone believed they had a say. Ultimately, the company bogged down, profits dramatically increased, decisions were made that were non-business driven and there was no recourse for area experts to impact their business as they had in the past.

Forest is gone. That says it all.

Good company until Brent Saunders

I worked at Forest Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Was a great company that cared about it's employees. Pay & benefits were awesome.

Cons

Then Brent Saunders become CEO and the company cared more about shareholders profits instead of quality and their employees.

Too late for advice. They have already done irreparable damage to the company. Approved of Howard Solomon, disapprove of Brent Saunders.

Worked for Forest Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!