Forest Research Institute

Forest Research Institute Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great company but major changes

I have been working at Forest Research Institute full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are top notch. Many opportunities for growth. Great benefits. A lot of work from home opportunities. Great annual bonus each year, company car.

ConsCompany is going through a lot of changes / restructuring at the moment.

It was GREAT while it lasted!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Forest Research Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis company was great for anyone who needed to learn the business. There company was not using state-of-the-art equipment or systems. You could learn in an easy environment.

ConsLeadership was a concern. Very high turnover in the management and open positions stayed open for long periods of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't need advise now...the company has been sold. Very few people will remain after the final sale date.

Great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Forest Research Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI enjoyed my tenure at Forest and the friendships I made there

ConsThe company itself was good; the location was not the best

Great people to work with. Open communication, supportive teams, no walls between departments or colleagues.

Project Lead (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat culture of sharing knowledge and being supportive to your colleagues. Unlike giant pharma companies you are not going to be pigeon-holed into very limited function. You will learn a lot and fast from your co-workers. Flexible working hours, work-from-home available for some. A lot of freedom to manage your own projects. Management is very hands-off and does not breath down your neck. Pay and bonus packages are better than average.

ConsTop-heavy. Too much management that makes no decisions or simply twirls thumbs. A lot of wheel-spinning from Senior directors and VPs. Management consists of large number of corporate bureaucrats. They are insecure in their abilities or value to the Co. and thus surround themselves with subservient yes-men.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your focus on ROI. Stop spinning wheels Soviet style, get your focus on revenues instead of empty slogans and constantly changing special initiatives.

Clinical Scientist

Clinical Scientist (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Forest Research Institute as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThe only pro is that it is convenient if you live in or nearby the city. Prime real estate. Additonally, if you are a "favorite" you may like it here.

ConsThere is no compensation of any sort for a job well done. There are those do not contribute anything yet reap the "perks". It is the most unprofessional and unfair companies I have ever worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional and fair. Compensate those who do a good job. All the good employees leave when the can because they are smarter than to take the unfair treatment.

No drugs

Clinical Scientist (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsYou have the ability to do little work

ConsPoor management, lack of commitment, no training or onboarding program - sink or swim

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your people

Would not recommend.

CRA (Former Employee)

I worked at Forest Research Institute as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThere are some really nice, hard-working, smart people working on these trials.

ConsBeware contractors the workload will require you to work more than 45 hours but you will be harassed for billing more than 45 hours. You will be considered inefficient if you bill more than 45 and you will be considered inefficient if you cannot get your work done in under 40/45 hours. The team is more often reactive than proactive. The company has grown quickly in a short period of time and they are still suffering growing pains. They like to use a lot of systems on clinical trials and you will be accountable for staying on top of each one. This takes a lot of time in addition to the actual monitoring. Direction can change from day-to-day and also depending on who you speak with. There have been instances where it appears that Forest is more concerned with numbers than quality data. Poor sites are allowed to continue enrollment. The following is copied from their values statement "...Our goal is to enable everyone to feel supported, treated with respect, and deserving of the same treatment from co-workers that we extend to our customers and business partners." They do not follow this. I'd say you either love it or loathe it. So if you are a risk taker or up for a good challenge that will keep you up at night and suck the energy out of you give them a try.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proactive - not reactive. Streamline. Close bad sites. Pay for hours worked. Consider reviewing your Values Statement.

Contract & Budget Associate III

Contract & Budget Associate III (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsIf you dont have a vehicle is easy and accessible by train and bus down town jersey city. Summer hours starting memorial day until labor day. Loads of work can learn alot and go somewhere fully trained

Constelecommute policy sucks , depends on what department you work in you may never get advancement. sick days suck , bonus all depends on if you non exempt employee or exempt. If your non exempt you cant work from home at all.

Advice to Senior Managementsome managers are awesome and believe in there associates and promote, some dont .

Boring place

Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Forest Research Institute full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost people do their jobs. Company is heading towards the right direction.

ConsExtremely boring work environment. Lacks morale. IT support is not able to give you the software and hardware needed for work, and lacks the professional knowledge to trouble shoot internal softwares. Pay is slightly under average for New York area.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver the years I see the best workers leave Forest, leaving mostly mediocure workers here. Management need to recognize good work and innovation, in order to retain talents.

It is okay here in this company.

Temporary Scientist (Current Employee)
Commack, NY

I have been working at Forest Research Institute as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIts nice here there is a Relaxed environment, they have a nice campus one of the better labs in long island.

ConsTime management, management in general lacsidasical. It is difficult for things to get fixed when dealing with the IT department.

Worked for Forest Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Forest Research Institute reviews and ratings. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Forest Research Institute employees.