Foresters, The Independent Order of

24 reviews filtered by
CEO

1. Good

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of

Pros

The work environment is friendly

Cons

No more words to express

Advice to Management

N/A

2. Unique culture with life-time employees

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Foresters, The Independent Order of

Pros

Access to US market distribution channels

Cons

New employees struggle to become accepted into the unique culture of the organization

Team Manager

Former Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People that want to work hard and do their best
    Great people to work with

Cons

Need stronger leadership at the top
    Better communication between staff and management, especially when it comes to workforce reduction etc

Advice to Management

Don't shy away from having tough conversations with your staff about challenges the company is going thru. Foresters was a family atmosphere but since laying off all the strong managers across the company, everyone is now looking out for themselves. Get back to what made you a great place to work. Put your staff first, keep them in the loop and don't be so quick to lay everyone off. It should be more than just a numbers game

Experience as a contractor

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has helped many charitable organizations throughout the years in addition to offering generous scholarships for youth. Benefits for full-time employees are great, especially those with families.

Cons

The bureaucratic nature of management at the time created a poor working environment. Office politics create a negative energy in the environment and cause others to not work to their full potential.

6. Generally good company overall.

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of

Pros

I enjoyed working for Foresters. The employees are friendly, management is approachable and down to earth.
    They are generally flexible (many positions can work from home from time to time if needed).

Cons

Too many changes - seems as though there are continuous structure changes. Salaries are low for non - management employees.
    Many departments have employees that have a "that's not my job" attitude.

Advice to Management

Less changes to structure
    Offer more fun group activities to keep employees motivated
    Reward employees for good performance

7. Was better getting worse as a place to work

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of full-time

Pros

Pay above average, good people, lots of opportunity

Cons

Cutting where they can now except at the top where they should. Too many bad decisions mage and people still work there. Do not follow what they preach, no strategy for getting new systems. All are worse than what they replace, do not follow proper methods to decide on new systems, more of an insider and where/what new executives used to work with elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Follow what you say, say one thing but usually anyone can get around what should be followed. Board basically approves everything, was revamped and now not many with knowledge of the company so rubber stamp anything do not question what is presented.

Great organization but in recent time it requires significant leadership change.

Current Employee - Marketing Management in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Management in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Foresters, The Independent Order of full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This organization provided many opportunities to work on a number of initiatives allowing employees to build knowledge. They have a passion for giving and making a difference. Pre-2013 I would have rated it THE place to work.

Cons

Some culture issues post 2013 that needs to be addressed - retention is becoming a challenge.

Advice to Management

Take the time to investigate culture, employee satisfaction and reason for declining retention.

Decent firm, strong culture

Former Contractor - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Strong small company culture
    Hands-on leadership

Cons

Resistance to change
    Technology imprint can be stronger

Advice to Management

Nothing specific
    Work on building greater acceptance of change

10. Good summer experience with great people, but not many learning opportunities.

Former Intern - Summer Student
    Former Intern - Summer Student

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people really are amazing. My senior colleagues really paid attention to our needs and frequently asked us if there is anything specific that we wanted to do and they will try to find it for us. Even the manager and AVP is really attentive to our needs and sets up meetings with us to discuss how we're progressing. If you know what you want to do, they will try to make it work.

Cons

This isn't really a con and mostly expected but since it's a summer job, it's mostly repetitive admin things. There will be periods of time when you will actually have no work to do and just kind of sit there. However, if you ask the right questions and are lucky enough to have something going on at the time, you can get opportunities to do some really great things.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see more responsibilities built into our work here. I understand the nature of this job is mostly to do administrative work, but it'd be really great for students to be given mini projects or something that they can own from start to finish and get real feedback on how they can improve.

11. Politics and secrets trump honesty and integrity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Foresters, The Independent Order of full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company goals are great for families and members
    A few great people who are passionate about their work
    Good location and lots of parking (not free though)

Cons

If you want to succeed here, honesty is not the best policy (everything comes down to politics).
    Staff are rarely informed of true reasons for senior management decisions.
    Management who manipulate/use others are often rewarded instead of punished.
    Hard to have work/life balance because long hours expected.
    Not enough opportunities for promotions or career advancement.

Advice to Management

Weed out political players who create misery for others
    Practice what you preach (treat employees as well as you say you'll treat members and their fmailies)