Forever 21

Forever 21 Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang

Do Won Chang

Pros
  • Fun clothes, some delightful people, super-fast-paced; your days just fly by(in 76 reviews)

• You will learn a lot of competitive skills to take elsewhere(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day(in 75 reviews)

• Expect long hours with little regard to your personal life(in 65 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCool co-workers
    Being around trendy clothes
    Great as a first retail job
    Busy & Fast paced

ConsManagers show favoritism
    Rude managers
    Only 10% discount
    Expect you to stay extra even after your scheduled time

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more kind to employees and praise them for heir good work

My car was just like this store: broken down

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

Prossome pleasant coworkers
    fast-paced
    The music

ConsWhere do I begin? Every retail location I have come upon, I have never experienced the open disapproval that I experienced by the management at this store. When I worked here, I was a student. I carried a full class-load while taking three music lessons and auditioning in the city. Due to many, many conflicts, which I pointed out during my interview, I had to keep calling people to cover my shift and then, eventually, people took my outside conflicts as me just being lazy when that was not the case at all. I covered many shifts as well. The management, however, seemed to focus on the shifts I had to change or was late to. The head manager, Amanda is cool as were some of the co-managers. There was one manager, however, that would shop on the job, use foul language and nothing you did was fast enough. I eventually had to carry a piece of paper and make a list. She would be all friendly with you until you made her angry and she became unsatisfied with your performance. I really wanted to like my job here, but I was jumping for joy the day I was forced to quit because my car broke down and I would not be able to stay for the last half hour of my shift, therefore I had to quit because a partial shift is considered a "no call/ no show". HR, seriously re-write some of these policies and stop treating us like we work in one of your sweatshops...while you're at it, stop treating those that work in your sweatshops that way as well. This place is simple: cold, hard capitalism. No respect for personal life or family, everything must be cleared by the warden.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmanda, get rid of your staff and hire competent employees who care about the workers under them. Also, scheduling needs major overhaul.

Not enough pay

Head Cashier (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros-fashion forward
    -meet great friends

Cons-not enough money for the jobs you do
    -high school atmosphere
    -managers play favorites
    -horrible discount

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do your jobs without relying on others to do so. Do not pick favorites or just hire anyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth the stress

Visual Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are opportunities to be creative within the store and there are some opportunities if you can get in good with higher management.

ConsI have worked in several different locations and there has always been lack of communication at all levels, unrealistic expectations, very stressful work environment because of both these.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to care about the employees at all levels. There is a mindset of "everyone is replaceable" and should value and develop employees.

If you can make it a year at Forever21 any future retail job is a breeze

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Skokie, IL

Prosyou learn A LOT about the retail biz, work with great people that even grow into long lasting friendships :) AWESOME HOURS with ok pay, long shifts, value seniority

Consvery unorganized management, hire anyone

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to put up schedules earlier in the week, it's extremely hard to have any sort of life when schedules are put up on Fridays...

Overworked and underpaid

Accessory Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou get to be around clothes and sales associates don't really do much. You can dress mostly anyway you want. Most of the time the hours are decent.

ConsClosing is terrible. You always leave at least after 11pm, and usually later. Its difficult to get promoted and they let managers get away with anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should treat their employees better and actually promote within the company instead of hiring outside all the time.

Fun, stressful, fun.

Retail (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun, past-paced, nice and fun people to work with, discount and good pay.

ConsRude customers, very busy on the weekends which bring the rude customers lol, stressful.

Decent Entry Level Retail Management

Assistantt Store Manager (Current Employee) Skokie, IL

ProsExperience in management. Great People. On the job training. Good health care for full timers.

ConsCompany expects high turnover and therefor does not invest in employees. Company payroll is very tight leaving stores understaffed regularly. Very demanding and fast paced with little reward or achievement. Company is trending down after last year's -3% to comp.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your company.

I have a love/hate relationship with this company, but it has finally come to an end.

Visual Merchandiser Assistant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Trendy, stylish apparel at very affordable prices (although it seems to be getting a bit expensive)
    - Flexible hours, great work for a student
    - Plenty of room for advancement, IF you're hard working AND determined
    - Good experience relating to retail/fashion industry

Cons- Hours fluctuate by season (a lot during the summer but very little after Christmas) unless you're full time
    - Unprofessional environment: employees are young so, a lot of petty, high-school drama & some coworkers very gossipy
    - Very LOW discount
    - Short breaks
    - HIGH turnover, employees never stay long, unless they have potential for manager or visual

Advice to Senior Management- Give more POSITIVE feedback to your employees. Believe me, they appreciate it!
    - Don't play favorites. Employees will definitely notice.

* My personal experience w/some managers was great. If you have an honest conversation with them, they'll listen. Just give them a good reason to feel that your opinion counts. Don't call off a lot, have GOOD time and attendance, and show that you're a team player. You'll get hours, then.

Hard-hard work, low pay

Visual Assistant (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsYoung and fun co-workers
    Get to dress maniquins however you like, at times:)

ConsLow pay
    No benefits
    Only 10% employee discount
    Inconsistent hours, night shifts
    Bad unprofessional management
    Favoritism
    You need to have thick skin to deal with piles and piles of clothes to hang and put away every day, while you see people thoughtlessly going thru them, dropping things on the floor and not bothering to pick them up. Mind numbing work, no room for creativity, even for fashion merchandisers. Lazy management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of break room, and get involved

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!