Forever 21

Forever 21 Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang

Do Won Chang

Pros
  • Fun clothes, some delightful people, super-fast-paced; your days just fly by(in 76 reviews)

• You will learn a lot of competitive skills to take elsewhere(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day(in 75 reviews)

• Expect long hours with little regard to your personal life(in 65 reviews)

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's not bad

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people you work with are fun & helps the shift go by faster.

ConsDiscount isn't really that great (10%). Training sucked because they basically threw you into the sales floor and didn't really explain what you had to do. The managers and assistant managers think they're better than everyone else and don't really pitch in to clean or fold just stand at the register telling people what to do. Only when the District manager comes along do they act like they're doing work. It's very fast paced on weekend which get kind of crazy but it helps time go by faster. And they say they're flexible with hours but sometimes they don't even check the requests people made to take off which is rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out a little more than just standing at the register doing nothing.

Forever 21 is a great place to work!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIf you like fashion and the retail environment in general working here is pretty great. The music is always on so even when there's not much traffic it won't drive you mad to listen to your own thoughts. The managers are friendly and the workers all want to get work done. They are very big on their store policies and want to keep their workers updated so be prepared to learn a little bit about Forever 21.

ConsThe discount is not much of a discount; it is only 10% which basically just takes out the tax on the tab. Sometimes you can work very late depending on whether or not your co-workers have been working hard that day; especially if there has been a lot of traffic.

It was...well an learning experience I guess.

Forever 21 (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWell it's a lot of hard work and being under lots of pressure from customers every second. You are pretty busy your whole shift because it's always something to do. It's an okay job I guess it depends on the management cause I did not enjoy working here.

ConsDiscount only 10%, dirty customers, super long hours, bad/rude management, picking up other employees slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be more considerate and value your employees more and not be jerks because your at a higher position.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Only work there if you have too"

Accessories Specialist (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsThe only pros for forever 21 is the experience only!

ConsThe discount is only 10%, the company only care's about making money and not the employee. Too much gossiping and late nights. The store would close at 9 and we would say 2 hours late to help and clean up. Shipment comes in everyday so we would have to put product daily just to catch up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager were ok, they were always late openly up the store in the morning

Okay pay, really poor benefits

Sales Associate (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsManagement was nice enough. They listened to suggestions and we had weekend outings, like bowling. The music is decent, not repeated too often.

ConsOnly 10% discount for employees. Might as well not bother. Constantly had to work overtime because new hires never showed. 5 people for closing two stories is not enough people!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure more reliable regulars work closing so you know they will show.

The job is a complete burden, always a mess and not worth my time.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsReason i stuck around was for a paycheck.

ConsTotal chaos, some people work others are stupid and slack off, people make a mess constantly and the managers are of no help.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in better hangers, stop piling up so much crap into every room and people need a more insensitive to work in such a horrible environment

Stressful work, but potential for advancement if you can survive & see past weak management...

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOn the visual team you work weekdays and early hours, so good for family balance (unless during floor changes every 2-4months).

ConsDuring floor changes = overnight hours. High turn over doesn't permit team unity. Change is the business, but a firm foundation of trust/confidence establishes a successful store/atmosphere as a whole, which the store manager&DM failed to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example...you're only as strong as your weakest link...inspire others to be their best by being your best, NOT acting better than your team.

Bad

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDepending on your management team, there are can some fun moments at work, but that entirely depends on the type of employees your store has.

ConsA Lot. Very little training, very little planning from District and regional teams. The communication is not strong at all top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways question authority. Don't just simply follow a plan blindly. If their facts are straight, it wont be hard for them to answer your questions on a plan.

terrible company

Fitting Room Specialist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosworking with others who love fashion

ConsTerrible management, treat employees like they're disposable, not understanding when need time off, visuals don't get to dress mannequins or even pick out outfits, and so much more.

Some specific examples of how terrible Forever 21 is:

My fitting room team came up a system of keeping track of people's items when they tried stuff on. We started using hooks with numbered post its to correspond with dressing room numbers so customers could easily find any items over 6 they had. Also, our system prevented us from putting people's items back before they had left. Eventually our manager caught on and ordered us plastic numbers to use instead of post its, which kept falling off. Now every store (at least in Texas) has these numbers for the dressing rooms. But did we get credit for it? No. And because Forever 21 employees are so poorly trained, most of them don't even know what the numbers are for.

Also, they promoted one of my friends without giving her a raise. Then they had the audacity to blame her and say she should of asked for a raise. She was young and assumed a promotion comes with a raise, as most people do. They took advantage of her. It wasn't right. She was getting paid $7.50 an hour as a shift leader when some sales associates were making $9+ every hour.

They once scheduled me and a few other employees to come into work at 9, and when I arrived, I saw a note on the computer telling us not to clock in until 10. So I had to just wait around for an hour. They didn't call us the night before or anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees better and treat them with more respect.

Forever 21 Recovery Specialist

Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) Humble, TX

ProsFun environment and outgoing co-workers/managers

ConsA lot of rude customers and management isn't as organized as it should be

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!