Forever 21

2.4
1,306 Reviews

Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won Chang
Do Won Chang

Pros
  • Fun clothes, some delightful people, super-fast-paced; your days just fly by (in 77 reviews)

• Forever 21 is a fashion forward company (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • 10% discount can be seen as a pro but it really doesn't do that much at the end of the day (in 75 reviews)

• Expect long hours with little regard to your personal life (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

136 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

IF YOU CAN MAKE IT HERE, YOU CAN MAKE IT ANYWHERE!

Current Employee - XXI Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - XXI Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

work hard, you will get noticed and possibly promoted. If you are a great worker, you get good hours and can actually make a good paycheck. Your co-workers are family, treat each other right. If you can stand this place, and can handle the craziness that is retail, everywhere else you work will be A BREEZE! you will know what hell is working here. You will learn so much in every aspect, it really does expand your knowledge in fashion and in management.

Cons

YOU ARE BASICALLY A HOUSEKEEPER! work long shifts, work holidays, close and then open the next morning, being at work more than being with your family. THE CUSTOMERS ARE THE WORST ! managers are inadequate, people quit/new hires everyday. No one cares about your personal life. managers favor some employees. upper management does not handle serious issues at all. managers hire complete barnacles, be prepared to leave at 1 AM on closing shifts.

Treat your employees better, we deserve more than minimum wage. Get more engaged in internal affairs, act like you are concerned.

Only if there are no jobs left for miles.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

Easy, cute clothing. Fun if you're into fashion,

Cons

Heavy work load for little pay. Overtime isn't paid. Managers are sometimes pretentious jerks.

Follow the labor laws. Treat employees with respect and it will go a long way. You can't hire sixteen year olds, make them cry on minimum wage, then expect them to behave fantastically and represent your place of business.

Good place to start, but don't stop here

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Working here is about building your resume as this company has a well-recognized brand throughout the fashion industry. Unfortunately, that's where it all ends.

Cons

Totally mismanaged. Managers are all running around scared of what upper and executive management says or feels. Very little organization. Your raises are 5% at the most - so definitely not a lot of room for growth. There are no real perks to speak of. The office culture is terrible as you sit in these big rooms where everyone can see everyone else. Try to get a seat in the back of the room so you can go job searching without anyone looking over your shoulders. Very low pay. Forced to work over time. Your pay is deducted during most holidays.

No because management won't listen or care. They don't have any real power to make decisions. For example, a manager needs to get the CEO to sign off on buying a $15 piece of RAM for his computer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Visual Merchandiser

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser  in  Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Orange, CA

Pros

Depends, usually the other visual merchandisers are really fun to work with a make a great team. Benefit for full time are pretty good. During floorsets you can be pretty creative when it comes to merchandising.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism, and if upper management doesn't like you, they won't bother to promote you any further. You are at the will of the store and what it needs. Some days you won't even be merchandising but being a glorified sales associate. Also hours can be everywhere and depending on management and how busy it is.

Okay experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Met great people, fashion forward

Cons

Management doesn't treat you with respect

Include some more promotions

Not a Career Company - No room for growth

Former Employee - Accessory Department Manager  in  Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Accessory Department Manager in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

I would say there are no pros to working for this company. I know that may seem harsh but in my three years there I did not experience anything positive with the company despite my handwork and dedication.

Cons

First the company pays horrible. As a college grad I was offered a part time position getting paid $10.50/hr with no benefits. Lots of promises are made by upper management and corporate managers that are not delivered on. Their is no room for growth and advancement. One can not bridge the gap between being at store level and corporate. They are very unethical in the way they treat their employees and do business. Work long hours without OT, required to clock in and out at midnight to avoid overtime. Poor working conditions not providing employees with sufficient working bathrooms and break rooms. Forbidden to leave the building on certain breaks and during the holiday season. I could go on for days, but you get the idea....

In store management should treat employees with equal respect. Although I was the accessory department manager I was not treated like a manager. I was not included in management meetings, I treated poorly by the other management, and I was not allowed in the managers office. I was treated like a SA, this was true under multiple store managers.

Great place to learn, not long term

Former Employee - Production Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I had no production or development experience going in to this job, so it was a great place to learn about the industry and business.

Cons

Short lunch breaks, micromanaging, didn't feel appreciated as an employee

Corporate: Some great managers, Extremely toxic environment, good for the young and naive ONLY

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Unknown at this time. Maybe the in-house Starbucks? The international experience is nice. Keeps things interesting. Some people are respectful. Most aren't.

Cons

Extremely disorganized; Very long hours; No work-life balance

Hire more people and put some processes in place so that everyone isn't scrambling at the last minute.

Worst corporate structure, worst owners, worst everything

Former Employee - Corporate Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The relationships I've made with my teammates, we went through psychological and corporate war together.

Cons

Trickle down management, nepotism and if you are not Korean you do not have a chance for solid further advancement. The high turnover in corporate is evidence of the mismanagement, and basic misery felt by much of the employees. Since the company is based on discount fashion, the materials I needed for my job are discount, to the point of the CEO having to sign off on my employees computers which too time for us to get. Rather than invest in the employees they company would just want to open up more stores.

Do an anonymous survey of the corporate employees and gauge what the employee needs and how they feel about the company

You will learn a lot about yourself and what you will and will not put up with.

Current Employee - Buyer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

- learn to respond/act quickly
    - learn to adapt to CONSTANT change
    - wear multiple hats

Cons

- a ton of roadblocks if you want to effect any changes
    - micro-managing upper management
    - no encouragement to grow
    - they want robots, not thinkers

this is your mission field. your employees are the frontline of who God has granted you to steward. love them. shine the light of Christ to them.

Worked for Forever 21? Contribute to the Community!