Forever 21 Reviews

Reset
1.0
Forever 21 Co-Founder and CEO Do Won "Don" Chang
Do Won "Don" Chang

Pros
  • We work in a semi-fast paced environment in which we must be alert at all times in order to observe stealing or assist a customer (in 95 reviews)

• The company sells a wide variety of fashion forward products (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • only 10% discount heavy workload (in 92 reviews)

• Also the customer the company targets is vey unfriendly to sales associates (in 84 reviews)

1. Retail Sweatshop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Forever 21 part-time

Pros

It's a highly energetic environment. you might learn a bit about merchandising and managing a store. If you love to shop and are a teen you might enjoy it.

Cons

Minimum wage, you have to constantly be moving. Constantly picking up merchandise that people don't pick up from the floor. Lots of disgruntled and negative co workers and managers. super young and inexperienced management staff. Uniquely disrespectful customers due to such a young demographic shopping there. Crazy late hours. I would often be there til 1:30 am folding clothes and fixing the store after customers trashed it all day. Worst job I've ever had.

Advice to Management

Hire some managers in their mid-late 20s at least, who have some life experience. Be more positive and encouraging and value each person. Don't hire people just to have employees, hire because you think they will be an asset.

2. Good for college students

Former Employee - Accessory Specialist in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Accessory Specialist in Culver City, CA

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company can be very flexible with scheduling

Cons

Management is often unfair and have favorites

Advice to Management

Be more consistent

3. Keep Looking Elsewhere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for Forever 21. Well, to start I would say the In-house Starbucks. Before I would have also included the "Cafe", our huge buffet style cafeteria but that has been on a budget for the last couple months that even the food taste like a budget. Not to mention you only get 30 minutes to enjoy your white bug infested pineapple slices and really the first 10 minutes of that lunch break is spent standing in line waiting for your burger patty to cook or standing in line another 5 minutes just to pay. On the bright side though, lunch is only $3 (if you remember to bring your work badge, $6 without), JUST as long as you are not a Temp (non F21 hired employees) because then you are in for a pickle if you could even afford a slice after paying just over $6.00. That's right, because even temping for this company for over a year won't even get you a discount anymore. Another one of those best reasons to work for this company is, your fellow minority co-workers. Those of non Korean decent who work their butts off for this company, putting in extra hours and skipping breaks and lunches just to get some sort of recognition or gratification of a job well done and completed, only to get thrown another task that isn't even part of your job description. These types of people are the ones that are easily relatable and can feel your pain because they just got chewed out another butt hole by the owners for not being able to pull a rabbit out of a hat on a last minute moments notice. Because it's always nice to be able to take solace in knowing that the majority of your peers are in the same crap hole situation as you and everyone is basically counting down the months until they hit their year anniversary so they can hand in their 2 weeks notice.

Cons

Downsides? Or reasons as to why I should have kept looking elsewhere? To start (and I'll keep it short and omit some reasons as I need to continue my job hunt right now), two words... UPPER MANAGEMENT. Our friendly CEO Mr. Chang and Executive Vice President Mr. Ok. They run a very unstructured and tight ship at a very cheap price. And of course the only people that can stay aboard and reap of SOME of the benefits are they're fellow Korean buddies. Simple things such as office supplies, will not be provided to anyone of non Korean decent who needs them because we "are strictly on a budget". But, "hey (person of Korean decent) lets get you some privacy screen protectors!" And cheers Mr. and Mrs. Chang for making it on that Forbes List at no. 248 for $6.3 billion, what a win! The point is, this company is not very fair. The chance to move up is very slim, especially if you are of non Korean decent or a woman. They're cheap, they don't like to take responsibility for anything which is why they push the blame on others and why you constantly get yelled at here. You're expected to say yes to everything with no chance of any input. They are well aware of the high turnover rate at this company, but don't do anything to correct the errors they constantly make here. It's more of a 'you work for me, for my company' type of atmosphere. You would think being that the owners work on site under the same roof, that this place would run more structured but the truth is that no one really does what they're job description entails. Everyone is expected to wear a different hat everyday as that old added expression says. And that's fine I guess, but know how to compensate those people who come in exhausted every day at 8 in the morning after working till 10:00 the night before. This place is nothing but a stepping stone for people who are looking to gain experience and move to a better company. It just takes a little sacrifice and putting up with a whole lot of crap for a year or two.

Advice to Management

Dear Mr. Chang and Mr. Ok, Check out some of what the technology companies are doing with they're employees and the type of relationships they hold with them just by valuing their worth as an employee of F21. Get off your high horse and start working to establish a better work environment where your staff actually wants stay longer than a year. Bring down that turnover rate. Appreciate the time and energy that your employees are putting in just so you can keep those nice and oversized offices of yours cool and those luxury cars you drive in with running. Because non discounted food, a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a Friday, a fresh lunch patio with spoiled condiments, a management team that knows nothing of what you do, a company that abuses temp workers with long over worked hours and paying them the minimum wage with no intention to ever hire them on as a permanent team member and countless other mediocre gestures you do for us, JUST IS NOT CUTTING IT. Get it together FOREVER 21!

5. Disorganized

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Forever 21 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros is that you meet some great people who are also sales associates like yourself

Cons

The cons are that the managers disrespect workers constantly, apart from 1 or 2. Another is that you will be put in a section alone when it's extremely busy and there should be at least another person with you. Lastly, they cut hours as much as the kardashians/jenners show up in the tabloids. It's ridiculous. Oh! And when you first get the job, they don't really teach you anything. They might show you around but other than that, you need to know everything yourself. Example; no one taught me what are runs and where to find them, I wasn't updated about new rules sometimes, etc.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many new people if you don't have enough money. Stop hiring new people if all you are going to do is keep cutting workers hours. And stop switching things around without informing the workers. Also, the managers are not punctual! Not good at all for receiving respect!

6. sales associate/cash wrap

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Forever 21 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice coworkers, up to date fashions, low cost, flexible scheduling, aesthetically pleasing as far as store setup goes. no other pros.

Cons

management was unbelievably unorganized and rude. my store manager will ignore u or hang up the phone if you had to call out or had an emergency. when I asked for one day off because my other job needed me that day she gave me silent treatment...so unprofessional. 10% discount was the worst, and customers that the company targets are the rudest to retail employees. doesn't allow full time unless you are a manager. high turnover rate because the work is so hard while the pay is so little.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, don't ignore them. as management you should be listening to each employees complaints or requests THATS YOUR JOB. figure out a way to schedule your 50+ employees electronically so they don't have to call out all the time cause you mess up on the schedule.

7. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was my first job so I was able to learn useful skills. I learned how to multitask, handle customers, and keep my area neat and organized. Eventually I became a reliable and strong closer that was dependable towards management.

Cons

-Lack of training of new employees and lack communication between management. -Sometimes I would train new people that just got thrown to do something with no instruction, out of my own will because when I started working here I remember feeling confused and had to figure out how to do things by myself, like searching a product in our system. I didn't want other people to feel as lost as I was, so I try to be helpful even when management doesn't ask or know I even train them. - It's happened multiple times where management doesn't even realize that someone didn't show up for their shift. When I notice, I talk to my coworkers to make a game plan and when we bring it to the attention of the manager they always act surprised because they didn't realize someone was missing and take credit of the plan. -I have been working there multiple years and every year I would receive an evaluation of my job performance and I would get a small raise based on whether or not my performance was up to par (which it had been for two years), well another two years passed with no evaluation or any kind of raise. They let me know that they weren't doing them momentarily ( telling me so I wouldn't think they're with-holding my money on purpose), and yet they were offering a raise to people who were threatening to quit, in order to make them stay.

Advice to Management

- Communicate with your employees! It's not that hard to check up on everyone every once in a while to make sure they're doing okay and not losing their minds or on the verge of just walking away and never coming back (which trust me, I have seen multiple times). -If you make promises, keep them! At a meeting we had with all the employees and management, they promised many things and improvements, months passed and nothing had changed. Something we wanted was a small measly sign for the fitting room that says "Please wait to be assisted", we didn't even get that and all they had to do was print it. -We want to close quickly and go home as much as you do, so will it hurt for you to fold a single shirt for christ's sake. Stop walking around, acting like you're doing something when we clearly see you talking with other managers and messing around, it frustrated me that I had to work for people that aren't even professionals at their jobs.

8. visual merchandiser

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Three Rivers, MA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Three Rivers, MA

I worked at Forever 21 (More than 3 years)

Pros

hours are good for personal life

Cons

management not so good. they are not proffesional

Advice to Management

if you treated people better you would get better results

9. Terrible organization look elsewhere

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My job on the floor was easy but boring. All you did was put down hangers and re-tie untied bows and such.

Cons

Got hired in a mass hiring during an event in early September. They gave me a date to come in for training shortly after this event and had us write our availability down then but told us to call to confirm with the manager in charge of schedules. The next three weeks I called for this manager, they were always not there - not mornings, not weekends, not evenings, never there! That week I instead went into the store and found a supervisor that gave me some receipt paper to write my phone number and availability down and that should have been my first hint of how unkept this company was. Two weeks later I get a call that I missed my shift! I go in that same day and was told I will get out at 8pm. 9:15pm comes and the manager will not let me leave until she checks my section, 10pm comes and I just left. Everyone was really unprofessional and it made me appreciate my job on the floor at H&M instead. I would suggest to apply there vs a F21. After I finished working at F21 it took me 3 YEARS to get my paychecks that they wouldn't let me collect in person! They had no problem sending my W-2 the following January but 3 years for back pay is ridiculous. Seriously, look elsewhere to work in retail.

Advice to Management

Hire more competent and qualified managers and supervisors. They should all have more experience in retail, customer service and management.

10. Worst Job Ever

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

- Air Conditioning - Cute clothes - New Experience - Really really really cute clothes

Cons

- The employees who have been working longer than you think they are 10x better than you even though you are doing the same job as them - No proper training - 10% "discount" (they even encourage you to sign up for their emails for the random 15%) - Managers are superficial and expect toooo much especially when you just started - Managers are rude - The customers are not considerate enough to at least put the clothes back - You will literally fold and organize racks for your entire shift - 30min breaks ... - Horrible pay.

Advice to Management

Learn to be considerate!

11. Distribution Center Manager E-Commerce

Pros

None to speak of over worked if you like to work 6 or 7 days a week. For those who like to work holidays this is your place. You have no life with this company.

Cons

Just about everything, don't take my word for it get a job there.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals to run your operation and dump all relatives. If you are Korean this is the place to work.

Showing 549 of 2,226 reviews