Forfeiture Support Associates

Updated January 11, 2015
Updated January 11, 2015
2.3

John Farrell

My experience with this company was rewarding and law enforcement agency supported offered meaningful labor categories.

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates

Pros

Provides employees with an opportunity for growth.

Cons

Challenges include: the program managers did not earnest support contractor employees when Federal manager want to terminate; very small pot of money to pay for inclement weather days.

Establish a better business relationship with the Federal managers

Good stepping stone, but no room for growth

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates

Pros

Good work life balance. Regular work hours from 9:00 to 5:00. Time off policies are flexible for Dr. appointments, etc. Time can be made up.

Cons

No pay raises in 5 years. Health benefits keep rising. No room for growth. Negative working environment. No praise or positive feedback for a job well done.

Send supervisors for mandatory training to learn how to encourage employees to be all they can be and learn how to build moral.

VERY easy position

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time

Pros

There is very little work and management is in D.C.

Cons

There is no vacation for the first year, no education benefits, no upward trajectory and the procedures/policies are more than a little backward.

Too much to list, they will not read this and they will not change.

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good entry level job based on the pay. I wasn't able to find anything in my area for higher pay after just graduating from college. As a contractor, the FSA life is mostly based on the customer and the people you work with. I am fortunate enough to work with great people.

Cons

Unfortunately, one person that gets on a power trip can make your work life terrible. "Technically" contractors have ZERO rights within the government. For example, we can not drive government vehicles (ok I can deal with that), cannot use the gym facility (what?), participate in special events, such as, picnics UNLESS you take leave (you have got to be kidding! We only get 10 days of leave a year as it is), and I am quoting this from a memo - "Contractors are not government employees and should not be treated as such."

As other people have stated, there's no such thing as raises and, in a smaller city, no chance for promotion. I have received a couple bonuses but that's all based on the customer going out of their way to contact FSA and fight for you to receive recognition.

My biggest issue with FSA has been when the government shutdown occurred. I was furloughed for 2 weeks and did not get paid even though every government employee (furloughed or not) got paid. I was more upset about how they acted like it wasn't a big deal for me to not receive pay for an entire pay period (even though they were paid during the entire shutdown). They even got mad at me when I asked if I could make up the time lost.

Allow for raises based on performance appraisals and for individuals who always go above and beyond their real duties. I am a data analyst but I am doing more work than the contractor intel analysts who receive 20k more than I do.

Good place to start but no room for growth

Former Employee - Data Analyst
    Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my own experience at my particular contract location the good things were: they had a great relationship with the client so we felt just like a direct-hire, FSA has a great reputation among the clients, most of my coworkers were pleasant and some I consider really great friends, the work (initially at least) is very interesting, very stable, benefits are good, good networking opportunities

Cons

absolutely no room for growth whether it be salary or promotion. The reason is that it is a contract and they can't adjust unless a spot is open up but if they really wanted to, they could pay. I mentioned how I would like more monetary incentives and was told directly that doing so would affect any recommendation to potential future employers. Eventually you get to be great at your job and your job duties won't get more challenging as you are stuck in your contract role. You have to do whatever the client wants, no matter what. Healthcare costs have gone up the past 2 years consecutively by 30% or more.

Please provide incentives for your employees to do good work. A plaque of appreciation doesn't pay the bills.

High Strung but Offers Decent Options within the Government and Firm

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Supportive of employees when it suits them and does no interfere with client relationship. Decent job options within the federal government as a contractor and occasionally as a temporary to permanent hire as a federal employee. Good at promoting people inside the firm. Occasionally promotion is based on cliques--get in with the in crowd and mingle with management on and off the clock to rank higher in terms of promotability. Great coworkers--by and large normal decent people.

Cons

Carefully establishes a demeaning, disrespectful and negative environment. Culture was one of anxiety, frustration, and high strain. High strung management. Obsessive about the most minute and senseless things, seem to be preoccupied with their own image to the contractor and the the performance or well being of the employees (which does not demand hugs or psychotherapy only creating a positive environment that will encourage elevated performance and commitment). Difficult to find, qualify for and obtain positions that are temp to hire. Despite the money, which is not great, not enough incentives to stay, more incentives to leave. Unfortunately, it's so hard to get beyond the contractor one can't properly focus on or enjoy the work at the federal agency! An unpleasant waste!

Focus on developing a positive environment that encourages employee improvement and high performance and put less focus on management face time with the federal agency. Management should be managing employees not putting on a fashion show for the client or trying to be besties with the employees. Listening to employee concerns and making legitimate efforts to address them so as to avoid the appearance of kowtowing to the client. Sometimes a transfer is called for (i.e. when personalities don't mesh but capacity to do the work is present or when work is not a good fit but employee is capable and reliable) when out right firing is not. But that requires paying attention to the needs and capacities of the employee not just client.

Record Examiner

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location steps away from Crystal City metro

Cons

No proper training, very limited resources, no advancement, have to worship your boss and kiss axx to survive

We know you don't care your employees as long as you have the contracts but please don't forget how you started.

Poor Communication

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst
    Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible Job depending where you work

Cons

Low Pay, no promotion, no raise, company does not look out for you

Difficult to maintain positive outlook

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is good. The current group that I work with is good and the training that I have and can obtain has been a plus.

Cons

No pay raise in 4 years due to no increase in cost of living according to Department of Labor. Lack of communication with senior management since they are located offsite. Furloughed employee in October while the government was shut down.

Management needs to ensure that they are keeping up with the increases in cost of living and accommodate employees. Tough to survive when everything goes up and our pay stays the same. Assist employees in getting a job upgrade when request.

Data Analyst/ Records Examiner

Former Employee - Records/Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Records/Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and schedule. Regular 9-5, Mon thru Friday. All federal holidays off. Health benefits are pricey but good for family.

Cons

Too many double standards. Contractor really has no rights, government employees will not treat you as an equal. Promotion is non-existent

Ensure contractor duties are specified and made clear to government employees how to properly utilize the FSA contractor. I often felt like I was to do anything the account holder wanted me to just to make their life easier, especially things that were not covered in my job duties and description.