Forfeiture Support Associates

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.3

John Farrell

My experience with this company was rewarding and law enforcement agency supported offered meaningful labor categories.

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates

Pros

Provides employees with an opportunity for growth.

Cons

Challenges include: the program managers did not earnest support contractor employees when Federal manager want to terminate; very small pot of money to pay for inclement weather days.

Establish a better business relationship with the Federal managers

Stable Employment, No Room for Growth

Current Employee - Records Examiner
    Current Employee - Records Examiner

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable employment, interesting work, opportunity to work with federal law enforcement, not high stress, no take-home work, good work-life balance, health/dental/vision insurance.

Cons

No opporotunity for advancement, only one training session offered, no incentive for employees to improve or work harder, there can be a lot of down time and boredom, some management problems with employer not being responsive or advocating for contractors, in the event of an office closure due to weather there isn't enough money to pay employees. No annual bonus, no raises.

Good stepping stone towards federal employment.

Current Employee - Paralegal
    Current Employee - Paralegal

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have one significant FSA pro: it is easier to get into the federal government employment system as a contractor because the competition is not as fierce and FSA does not implement a veteran’s preference (that I am aware of) like the feds are REQUIRED to do by an executive order. I have worked for FSA for 5.5 years and have applied to an unknown amount of federal positions. I received one interview and did not get the job. I have been told several times that I did not make the interview cuts because veterans applied and they automatically get preference over non-veterans (also there is a veteran's spousal preference that you will come up against). FSA is a stepping stone towards direct federal employment but do not assume you will ever get hired directly because not only will you come up against external veterans applying but you will have to beat out current or former federal employees. Also the feds don’t hire very often because they have a low turnover rate and the budget has been pretty bad for at least 3 if 4 years and therefore they don’t always backfill federal positions when one becomes vacant. In short, don’t be surprised if you never get hired on. Most likely your FSA coworkers have tried and failed many times like me.

All true training will be through your government placement. FSA's training has nothing to do with your actual job.

As for benefits, besides wage/salary, I would say I was satisfied. Even though the benefits get leaner and learner each year (like most employers) they are still competitive if not better than a lot of private-sector employers—I believe this to be true because the feds require them as a federal contractor to provide comparable benefits to what the feds provide to their employees. They offer a decent PPO for medical as well as acceptable dental and vision plans. 401(k) matching is lacking but at least they match ½ up to 5% I believe but don’t quote me on that. I also heard that benefits no longer start day of employment and therefore you might have to wait 30-90 days for any coverage so be mindful of that and plan to COBRA your last employer’s if need be.

I have worked at more than one office so it’s a gamble if you’re going to get a good federal environment. Some are reallllly great, while others are downright horrible (and FSA will literally give you no support if your federal environment is hostile). So if you can do some detective work on your particular office because accepting the job I would highly encourage you to do so. As the office is going to make or break your successful employment with FSA. Ask penetrating questions during your interview: exactly what is your FSA turnover rate? Why did the last FSA employee leave?

Cons

Sadly there are so many but here are the tops ones:
    There is no merit or longevity based salary increases. There are very rare cost of living increases. I believe since being hired 5.5 years ago I have gotten 2-3 hourly rate increases. Each for maybe 20-80 cents. Any raise that I have ever been given was completely eaten up by the next years benefit costs/deductions (e.g. health care increase). I have gotten two “awards” as they call them for very modest amounts: $500 and $750 but other than that I have never been compensated for my hard work or years of service. In sum, their hourly rate/salary rate offer might look competitive but just know that your take home pay will decrease every year and increase like most (if not all) employment.

They treat you like a number. Do not expect any help from them. They literally send you a paycheck every two weeks. That is the most positive experience you will have with them. They do NOT care about your happiness at your job. They only care that they are getting paid at least two times the amount you are by the feds. They cut costs everywhere they can so expect that you will pay for a lot of things out of pocket that you wouldn’t expect to pay. For instance, FSA will require you to mail them a document and will expect YOU to pay for the postage.

As a brand new hourly employee you will receive no more than 5 days of sick leave and NO annual leave until you have completed a year of service. If you start after 10/01 (the beginning of the fiscal year) those 5 days will be prorated so it is possible you could start with just one day of paid leave. If you have to take leave and you do not have paid leave hours accrued they will force you to advance up to two weeks of leave—leaving you indebted to your employer (this happened to me when my grandmother died and I had no leave during my first year). FSA’s paid leave policy is the worst I have ever seen in the professional environment. After a year, you will get 2 weeks of annual leave but your sick leave will never go up. At five years you get a whopping 3 weeks of leave.

Most federal office will treat you like the red-headed step child. Do not expect to feel 100% included at all times. You are different. You are a contract employee. There is a huge distinction and stigma. Get over this before accepting a FSA job.

Care about and compensate YOUR employees.

Good stepping stone, but no room for growth

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates

Pros

Good work life balance. Regular work hours from 9:00 to 5:00. Time off policies are flexible for Dr. appointments, etc. Time can be made up.

Cons

No pay raises in 5 years. Health benefits keep rising. No room for growth. Negative working environment. No praise or positive feedback for a job well done.

Send supervisors for mandatory training to learn how to encourage employees to be all they can be and learn how to build moral.

VERY easy position

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time

Pros

There is very little work and management is in D.C.

Cons

There is no vacation for the first year, no education benefits, no upward trajectory and the procedures/policies are more than a little backward.

Too much to list, they will not read this and they will not change.

Has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really good entry level job based on the pay. I wasn't able to find anything in my area for higher pay after just graduating from college. As a contractor, the FSA life is mostly based on the customer and the people you work with. I am fortunate enough to work with great people.

Cons

Unfortunately, one person that gets on a power trip can make your work life terrible. "Technically" contractors have ZERO rights within the government. For example, we can not drive government vehicles (ok I can deal with that), cannot use the gym facility (what?), participate in special events, such as, picnics UNLESS you take leave (you have got to be kidding! We only get 10 days of leave a year as it is), and I am quoting this from a memo - "Contractors are not government employees and should not be treated as such."

As other people have stated, there's no such thing as raises and, in a smaller city, no chance for promotion. I have received a couple bonuses but that's all based on the customer going out of their way to contact FSA and fight for you to receive recognition.

My biggest issue with FSA has been when the government shutdown occurred. I was furloughed for 2 weeks and did not get paid even though every government employee (furloughed or not) got paid. I was more upset about how they acted like it wasn't a big deal for me to not receive pay for an entire pay period (even though they were paid during the entire shutdown). They even got mad at me when I asked if I could make up the time lost.

Allow for raises based on performance appraisals and for individuals who always go above and beyond their real duties. I am a data analyst but I am doing more work than the contractor intel analysts who receive 20k more than I do.

Good place to start but no room for growth

Former Employee - Data Analyst
    Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my own experience at my particular contract location the good things were: they had a great relationship with the client so we felt just like a direct-hire, FSA has a great reputation among the clients, most of my coworkers were pleasant and some I consider really great friends, the work (initially at least) is very interesting, very stable, benefits are good, good networking opportunities

Cons

absolutely no room for growth whether it be salary or promotion. The reason is that it is a contract and they can't adjust unless a spot is open up but if they really wanted to, they could pay. I mentioned how I would like more monetary incentives and was told directly that doing so would affect any recommendation to potential future employers. Eventually you get to be great at your job and your job duties won't get more challenging as you are stuck in your contract role. You have to do whatever the client wants, no matter what. Healthcare costs have gone up the past 2 years consecutively by 30% or more.

Please provide incentives for your employees to do good work. A plaque of appreciation doesn't pay the bills.

High Strung but Offers Decent Options within the Government and Firm

I worked at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Supportive of employees when it suits them and does no interfere with client relationship. Decent job options within the federal government as a contractor and occasionally as a temporary to permanent hire as a federal employee. Good at promoting people inside the firm. Occasionally promotion is based on cliques--get in with the in crowd and mingle with management on and off the clock to rank higher in terms of promotability. Great coworkers--by and large normal decent people.

Cons

Carefully establishes a demeaning, disrespectful and negative environment. Culture was one of anxiety, frustration, and high strain. High strung management. Obsessive about the most minute and senseless things, seem to be preoccupied with their own image to the contractor and the the performance or well being of the employees (which does not demand hugs or psychotherapy only creating a positive environment that will encourage elevated performance and commitment). Difficult to find, qualify for and obtain positions that are temp to hire. Despite the money, which is not great, not enough incentives to stay, more incentives to leave. Unfortunately, it's so hard to get beyond the contractor one can't properly focus on or enjoy the work at the federal agency! An unpleasant waste!

Focus on developing a positive environment that encourages employee improvement and high performance and put less focus on management face time with the federal agency. Management should be managing employees not putting on a fashion show for the client or trying to be besties with the employees. Listening to employee concerns and making legitimate efforts to address them so as to avoid the appearance of kowtowing to the client. Sometimes a transfer is called for (i.e. when personalities don't mesh but capacity to do the work is present or when work is not a good fit but employee is capable and reliable) when out right firing is not. But that requires paying attention to the needs and capacities of the employee not just client.

Record Examiner

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Forfeiture Support Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location steps away from Crystal City metro

Cons

No proper training, very limited resources, no advancement, have to worship your boss and kiss axx to survive

We know you don't care your employees as long as you have the contracts but please don't forget how you started.

Poor Communication

Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst
    Current Employee - Records Examiner/Analyst

Pros

Somewhat flexible Job depending where you work

Cons

Low Pay, no promotion, no raise, company does not look out for you