Forman Mills

2.3

Rick Forman

Management level, high volume, very fast paced, in charge of 15 employees

I have been working at Forman Mills

Pros

Just moved into a much bigger DC to accommodate more stores as Forman Mills is growing very quickly.

Cons

Our holiday peek seasons tend to over pack the DC. All manual operation which tends to slow down processing.

At least partially automate processing to speed things up. Update and implement newer WMS system. Better coordination between buyers and warehouse operations.

Very Disappointed...

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Pennsauken, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Pennsauken, NJ

I have been working at Forman Mills full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gets you the experience other employers are looking for on your resume.

Cons

No work/life balance, No growth potential, negative company culture. They say you will get to travel to the "market" but I've been once in 7 months. If you do go, it will only be to NY. Only Buyers go to Vegas, Cali and abroad.
    Last minute notice for travel. Be prepared to a lot of miles on your car. And get you reimbursement two weeks after you've spent the money, which with what they are paying can be quite a sacrifice when you are trying to support a family and you've already planned your expenses for the month.

You will not receive formal training and the people who do train are obviously not interested in doing the training. I never got part two of either of my training sessions. The majority of the training is done by the assistants who have enough work to do already. I have basically taught myself how to do allocations. And whenever my buyer disagrees with how I've allocated merchandise he never thinks maybe it as done that way because I am left to assume what he wants instead of him communicating with me how he wants things... Or that maybe I would have a better Idea of how he wants merchandise allocated if he included me in the buying process.

Oh and if RF (Founder/CEO) calls a meeting, three things are going to happen. I will not start on time, it will be for an insane amount of time (ie: once had a meeting that was supposed to start first thing in the am and didn't finally start until 4 and we were kept there until 8p, I worked a twelve hour day and received now compensation for it), next... he will take forever to get to the point, third... he will talk in circles and you will be left thinking of all the work you could have completed in the time he wasted.

I went from being an Assistant Manager to being a secretary... a position I had before I was a manager. I feel like I left my job for nothing. I left my job because I wanted to learn what goes on behind the scenes in retail, this is what I went to college for after-all. And now I am a bonafide paper pusher, my ideas are not needed, my opinions don't matter and I feel like all those power-point presentations I worked so hard gather info for in school were for nothing because none of that happens here. the company doesn't even use any type of trend forecasting service, the buyers buy what the vendors say is selling.

Invest in your employees!!!! give them good benefits, vacation days they can use after their 90 days, why make them wait a year? Train your people, develop a system that is used by everyone to minimize confusion. People have lives outside of work it is not ok to hold them captive long after the work day has ended with out even giving them the chance to notify families and caregivers.

Great if you don't want to have a life outside of work.

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Pennsauken, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Pennsauken, NJ

I worked at Forman Mills full-time for more than a year

Pros

Close to major highways, great coworkers to work with, great first job to get experience under your belt

Cons

No work-life balance, no personal growth, expected to work over 40+ hours a week on salary and get no compensation or comp days. Assistant buyers asked to work in stores as part of "training" however you will still have to go during any major Holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mothers Day weekend, Fathers day weekend, and then starting in July for back to school. Expected to work Saturdays during those peak periods. Be prepared to travel a lot to visit all the different stores and be prepared to get a days notice that you have to take a flight somewhere the next day. Visiting the stores isn't what you are doing--you are working in them, pushing out freight from the back room and putting it onto the floor. Old systems that could crash any day if you even log out improperly. No real allocation tools to allocate merchandise properly. Assistant buyers are not actual assistant buyers, their buyers assistants: clericals. They handle all paperwork such as PO's, vendor calls, vendor appointments, do all the allocations to the stores, work in stores, expected to be able to travel at the drop of a dime, if you are lucky you will attend the market maybe once or twice your whole time you are at the company, dress models for seasonal photo shoots, comp shop, deal with all warehouse issues daily. No real training program for new assistants, the current assistants have to train the new assistants because upper management doesn't have the time nor patience to do it. If you are looking for a job that is more hands on with the product this is not the job for you.

Listen to your employees when they give you the reasons why they are leaving and not just sweeping it under the rug like there isn't an issue. Find that happy medium between work-life balance, people have lives and families outside of their job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Buyer

I worked at Forman Mills

Pros

Entry level experience and hired out of college.

Cons

Low pay, tough management, poor working conditions, toxic office culture, poor training

Increased pay and responsibilities for your lower level employees.

It was definitely not a great first job

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at Forman Mills part-time for more than a year

Pros

The clothes where nice there

Cons

The pay the lack of hours management was always rude and the very rude customers

my opinion of forman mills

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Forman Mills part-time for less than a year

Pros

coworker and management very friendly toward one another and customers. has great room for advancement.

Cons

its hard work with a little pay. you must enjoy your work and job.

sometimes your employees would like to have understanding of time-off or end time of work.

Challenging

Former Employee - Cashier  in  New Carrollton, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in New Carrollton, MD

I worked at Forman Mills full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You must have thorough training and must have an outstanding Store Management staff.

Cons

The extreme long closing hours.

You must train you staff and treat them with dignity.

The proudest and most unprofessional company I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  New Carrollton, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in New Carrollton, MD

I worked at Forman Mills part-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher than minimum wage pay, coworkers were fun.

Cons

Horrible management, outdated computer system, uncaring corporate.

Learn some communication skills, and how to treat people with respect.

Forman Mills is not a good job

Former Employee - Sales Associate and Processor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate and Processor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Forman Mills part-time for less than a year

Pros

10% off ... which isn't that good. for ex. shirt cost 5.99 you pay 5.49.

Cons

They work you like a slave for $8.25 an hour. They only give you a quarter raise after a year. If you work late shift in ladies/men/kids department they will have you in that department by yourself cleaning up everything and want you to do all put backs.

Poor Management

Short

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Whitehall, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Whitehall, PA

I have been working at Forman Mills part-time for less than a year

Pros

I needed a job and they hired me on the spot.

Cons

Inconsiderate , they dont hear you.

Maybe have some actual training. Some managers give the answers to thw quiz. im just saying.

Worked for Forman Mills? Contribute to the Community!