Forrester Research Reviews

Reset
3.5
Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • Great work/life balance which makes up for the cons listed below (in 37 reviews)

• International company that attracts smart people (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it (in 12 reviews)

• Senior management seems to change strategies every few years baswd on company performance (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Fantastic Work Environment

Current Employee - Technology Management in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Management in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As someone who has mostly worked at small, "scrappy" companies, the first thing I love about Forrester is the physical environment. The office and surroundings are beautiful, eco-friendly, and well-maintained. It's just an amazingly comfortable place to spend half of your waking life. Every employee gets an identical workspace. There's no jockeying for the "corner office" (though the execs get to work in a glassed in area – but still in the same type of cubicle!) There is plenty of career mobility, most notably employees moving from corporate roles to analyst roles, and vice versa. I'm working on the corporate side, and find the pace of work reasonable and family friendly. Commuting here is easy. It's in Cambridge, but it's simple to drive here (you exit Rte. 2 right before it jams up at Alewife). It's also easy to get here on the red line if you don't mind a short walk through a beautiful nature preserve. Maybe it's a sign of my age, but I appreciate the "grown up" feel of the company. We certainly have fun, but the culture is not gimmicky or immature. I feel like an adult among adults here, and it's a good feeling.

Cons

Well, if you're the kind of person who WANTS to strive for a private corner office, you won't be happy here. You also won't be happy if you like goofy startup culture or the (slim) opportunity to make a bazillion dollars in stock options. We also have a lot of silly euphemisms for things, like "Strategic Growth" instead of "Human Resources". Whatever.

Advice to Management

Keep being authentic, open, and honest with your staff. It's immensely appreciated.

Forrester Research Response

May 4, 2015 – Chief People Officer

“Fun”, “grown-up”, “not gimmicky or immature”, “plenty of career mobility”, “eco-friendly” - so good to hear that we are striking a good balance for employees who want to work hard AND who also ... More

Smart people, good intentions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After 7+ years here, I can honestly say that I'm the most excited about this company than I've been in years. Senior management has become more transparent and clear about decision-making. The CSO continues to steadily change the culture of the sales team and other executives could learn from his approach and style. Management across the board is more focused on coaching and developing employees; while there isn't always time for it, the intent is there and they are trying to make it more of a priority. I could be a Forresterite for life.

Cons

Not everyone has the chance to create their own career path or find the next step in their career within the organization - I consider myself one of the lucky ones to have always gotten the next job I've asked for. We continue to move quickly from one change to another; not always finishing the last major initiative before shifting focus elsewhere can be confusing.

Advice to Management

Follow the CSO's lead. Be more patient. A dynamic and changing culture is fine, but let's make sure we finish what we start.

3. Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Management in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people Smart people Great product set Great values

Cons

No upward mobility pay average - even when over perform

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to be the company you are capable of being, Reward employees for increased responsibilities.

Sr. Account Manager

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart analysts and a great opportunity to work with senior level decision makers are Fortune 1000 companies. Despite all the recent pains still a strong culture which does set Forr apart from other companies.

Cons

HR is a weak link. As mentioned before they are biased towards management and don't understand how to maintain the great culture (leadership here needs to change). Same old people at the top riding out their careers (SVPs in sales and VPs in Research - nepotism). Sales comp plan would be OK IF quotas were reasonable and they paid at 100% from dollar one like most companies. Office location is bad for everyone and limits incoming talent.

Advice to Management

Get rid of roles, investment back in IT research and verticals (Garnder seems to be doing great for their shareholders with this approach), look at technology acquisitions to distrust the research space. Finally, give sales people reasonable quotas, we are in an up market so sales people expect to be making money! Pay more on consulting business!

Ground Hog Day

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time

Pros

Smart, engaged people Excellent value add for clients Fun work environment

Cons

Constant change / same results: Every few years there was a huge shift in strategy that created a snowball effect of changes that often just disrupted the business but didn't improve the revenue line. There was rarely a realistic connection between strategy and what it would take to execute it. Muscle memory is strong at Forrester, and even though there has been a revolving door of executive team members coming and going, the results are always the same. Few breakthrough moments or real value add for the clients. Constantly fighting budget issues, which makes it hard for managers to run a business unit

Advice to Management

Not a criticism, just an observation. The workforce is a powerful engine that could drive the business, but needs leadership with true vision and the ability to harness that talent.

A culture that celebrates being different and driving innovation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Forrester, we're challenged to be constant learners, and think differently. I've learned a tremendous amount in my three years at Forrester, about myself and how to be better in my role.

Cons

There aren't more hours in the day, to contemplate all of the fresh thinking swimming around in my head.

8. Great company with great people to work with

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Smart people around you, good benefits

Cons

To many changes in one fiscal year

Overall a Good Experience

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A relaxed working environment with adequate work given if you ask for it. Forrester has a good culture and great facilities. It's also a good name to put on a resume.

Cons

The work can become stale and repetitive at times. The programs used were a bit dated and there could have been better organization.

Advice to Management

Update the programs and create a system that relies more heavily on technology. This would save resources and make things faster and more efficient.

Fast-moving, leading edge technology company - love it!

Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President - Technology in Boston, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast-moving, leading edge technology company - love it!

Cons

HR is the weak link.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent name for a future job and the work life balance is pretty good. Forrester employs a lot of young, bright people and has some interesting opportunities to learn if you're placed on the right team.

Cons

Forrester does hire a lot of young, bright professionals to staff its research organization, though it does little to nothing with them. None of the "opportunities" available to a research associate are linked to merit, which encourages complacency and drives most of the junior staff to leave in the first year-18 months. The pay, as documented elsewhere, is barely more than half of the industry standard, and while everyone from the head of research to the head of human resources will tell you that it's not, it is. Many RAs wait tables, bartend or tutor in the evenings and on weekends just to be able to pay rent in a low-cost suburb of Boston or Cambridge. The work that RAs do is most often unrelated to research. 90% of the job within the first year is administrative, i.e. scheduling calls, running to the cafe to buy an analyst a Snapple, etc., and while there are some analysts that value the RAs that work with them, most view them as an expendable personal assistant, and exclude them from their research process. On a more general level, there is no connection between senior leadership and the rest of the organization. This has been commented on ad nauseam already so I won't get into detail, but when you're laying off employees and shredding their bonuses, is chartering flights to exotic locations and splurging on executive bonuses really a prudent decision?

Forrester Research Response

May 4, 2015 – Vice President - Global Compensation & HRIS

Your comments about pay at the RA level resonate. We’ve done extensive analysis of our compensation and benefits, and while our salaries are within the competitive range for nearly every position, we ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed