Forrester Research Reviews

306 reviews filtered by
3.3
Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • The work-life balance at Forrester is really refreshing and strongly encouraged (in 37 reviews)

• Working with extremely smart people and very flexible work environment (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it (in 12 reviews)

• The communication of this back to senior management doesn't seem to be happening effectively (in 18 reviews)

1. Account Development Manager

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time

Pros

good culture and great brand recognition in the industry

Cons

a lot of change in strategy and turnover in the salesforce

2. Fantastic Work Environment

Current Employee - Technology Management in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technology Management in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As someone who has mostly worked at small, "scrappy" companies, the first thing I love about Forrester is the physical environment. The office and surroundings are beautiful, eco-friendly, and well-maintained. It's just an amazingly comfortable place to spend half of your waking life. Every employee gets an identical workspace. There's no jockeying for the "corner office" (though the execs get to work in a glassed in area – but still in the same type of cubicle!) There is plenty of career mobility, most notably employees moving from corporate roles to analyst roles, and vice versa. I'm working on the corporate side, and find the pace of work reasonable and family friendly.

Commuting here is easy. It's in Cambridge, but it's simple to drive here (you exit Rte. 2 right before it jams up at Alewife). It's also easy to get here on the red line if you don't mind a short walk through a beautiful nature preserve.

Maybe it's a sign of my age, but I appreciate the "grown up" feel of the company. We certainly have fun, but the culture is not gimmicky or immature. I feel like an adult among adults here, and it's a good feeling.

Cons

Well, if you're the kind of person who WANTS to strive for a private corner office, you won't be happy here. You also won't be happy if you like goofy startup culture or the (slim) opportunity to make a bazillion dollars in stock options. We also have a lot of silly euphemisms for things, like "Strategic Growth" instead of "Human Resources". Whatever.

Advice to Management

Keep being authentic, open, and honest with your staff. It's immensely appreciated.

3. Great place to work, territories need to be better defined

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Forrester is a great place to work. The work life balance is 2nd to none. You get to work with some of the brightest people in the world and everyone around you is always trying to perfect their craft which drives healthy competition. Mid level to upper level management is always there for you. They really do have an open door policy, but you have to feel confident to enter. I would say compensation is fair. Still might be lower in terms of raw dollars but because of the work life balance I think it's more than fair.

Cons

One thing I think needs work is the territories. I feel they need to be redefined and fairly divided up. New business has really large territories which is great, however if you are an account manager it's very difficult to get prospecting accounts. I feel the hybrid role would be a great solution. Nothin can be perfect but I think that would be a good and fair solution. I think moving to an annual plan was the right move. What I don't agree with is how they determine your comp pay out. Also there is an 85% threshold for account managers and 65% for new business and I believe we should all be treated the same way and the threshold should be the same across the board.

Advice to Management

Please look at the territories and divvy them up in a fair manner.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent name for a future job and the work life balance is pretty good. Forrester employs a lot of young, bright people and has some interesting opportunities to learn if you're placed on the right team.

Cons

Forrester does hire a lot of young, bright professionals to staff its research organization, though it does little to nothing with them. None of the "opportunities" available to a research associate are linked to merit, which encourages complacency and drives most of the junior staff to leave in the first year-18 months. The pay, as documented elsewhere, is barely more than half of the industry standard, and while everyone from the head of research to the head of human resources will tell you that it's not, it is. Many RAs wait tables, bartend or tutor in the evenings and on weekends just to be able to pay rent in a low-cost suburb of Boston or Cambridge.

The work that RAs do is most often unrelated to research. 90% of the job within the first year is administrative, i.e. scheduling calls, running to the cafe to buy an analyst a Snapple, etc., and while there are some analysts that value the RAs that work with them, most view them as an expendable personal assistant, and exclude them from their research process.

On a more general level, there is no connection between senior leadership and the rest of the organization. This has been commented on ad nauseam already so I won't get into detail, but when you're laying off employees and shredding their bonuses, is chartering flights to exotic locations and splurging on executive bonuses really a prudent decision?

Good name, but going downhill fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Forrester is a really good name to have on your resume. As many other reviews have noted, it can be a good stepping stone to get to a better job - put in one to two years here, and then go somewhere that really respects you. The office itself is very pretty, with a modern design inside and a nice layout. Some of the employees are very nice as well; young employees band together through a sense of camaraderie. There is a gym on-site, and a lot of after-work activities designed to get people involved and make them feel welcome. And you can work from home once a week, which is nice. The work/life balance can sometimes be very nice, unless you get very particular analysts that believe you are accessible 24 hours a day.

Cons

The office is very nice on the inside, but it's in the middle of a field. In the middle of nowhere. Convenient for the higher ups that can afford to live anywhere near there, but definitely something to consider before working there. There is a parking garage on-site if you drive, although it will cost you a percentage of your already small paycheck. The biggest downside (as many people have noted) is the pay, which is beyond insulting. They say that they benchmark salaries against market value, but going in, know that you can make much more elsewhere. Much more. When you're first hired, they will play up that they'll make up for your salary in bonuses, which used to be quarterly. That has all changed, however. They say it's not to cut costs, but let's get real. We all know better. Bonuses are now annually, which is fine for the older execs who don't rely on them to live. Or pay their rent. Or buy groceries. And now, if you leave before the end of the year (as most do), you get nothing. Just the way they want it. The other half of your bonus is tied to the company performance, and, as you probably guessed, something you will never see the full percentage of. Layoffs come every January (right around they announce you won't get all of your bonus, before they send selfies from their private jet to the Bahamas with the sales teams. I wish I was making this up), in their attempt to "streamline" the company.

If you do go work here, just know what you're getting into. You can do better. And you will. You'll just have to grin and bear it first.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth (not the higher ups, you guys all make enough already). Stop acting like Millennials are all entitled brats who just want handouts.

Forrester Research Response

Apr 13, 2015Chief People Officer

I am sad that you are not having a positive experience at Forrester. A former client myself, I chose to come to Forrester 2 years ago because the company I relied upon 20 years ago to tell me the ... More

Great brand -- poor senior management and growth strategy

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people, strong brand in the market, great company if you are beginning your career.

Cons

Senior/executive management is out of date, stale and lacks vision. Cambridge office location is a drag. Very inward facing culture despite "age of the customer" mantra. Poor at change management (their consulting model is a mess)

Advice to Management

Move the corporate office! Innovate! Employ some youth and energy at the top.

8. Great place to work, smart people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're smart, work hard, and ambitious Forrester is a great place to work. They reward great employees with new opportunities and responsibilities and it's easy to move from one role to another across the organization. Everyone who works there is very smart and very driven. The benefits are great.

Cons

Changes aren't well communicated to employees. Often one part of the organization has no idea what's going on in another part of the organization. After a certain point there are few opportunities for training or growth.

Advice to Management

Communicate regularly and widely. When trying to build a collaborative culture it's critical to communicate at all levels and across the organization.

Great place to work, not perfect but what is?

Current Employee - Vice President & Principal Analyst
    Current Employee - Vice President & Principal Analyst

I have been working at Forrester Research

Pros

Get to work with the best clients that know, trust and love Forrester. Everyone is smart and the company fosters a very supportive culture. An amazing place to work. If you get a job offer, take it!

Cons

Everything revolves around an inner circle. There's quite a bit of an old boy/old girl network. It doesn't lead to truly leveraging all the assets that the company has available.

Advice to Management

Talk more to your employees, all of them not just your friends. Make manager - employee communications a priority at all levels. These are the people that are driving value to your clients every single day.

Job Seekers Beware

I worked at Forrester Research full-time

Pros

The perception of a known local company on the resume.

Cons

What a disappointing experience. Misleading representation of positions posted and compensation presented. Terrible management style and communication. Misrepresented office culture. The company boasts about "being direct" but colleagues are down right rude, unprofessional and often abusive and many act like it's normal behavior. I am a seasoned professional and I have never come across more unhappy people in my career.

Advice to Management

Have a vision, a point of view and execute. I don't understand what value you bring to companies and you certainly only pretend to value your employees.

11. Awesome culture but growth limited

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture for sure; I'm still very much in touch with former co-workers who have become good friends.
    Work-life balance thanks to flexible schedules
    Gym on site is a nice perk (before/after work, during lunch, or anytime)
    Close to T less than 10 minute walk
    Casual dress code

Cons

Remote from city when considering Boston or MA traffic in general
    Pay is not the greatest
    Little room to move up if starting out entry to mid level since managers are fairly young and been there for a while (this is one of those double edged swords; young managers are cool and relatable, but reality is many times they are in the role you wish to pursue)

Advice to Management

Delegate more meaningful work to entry-junior level positions. This is a way for us to gain skills and experience to potentially move up or move on to develop our career.

Forrester Research Photos