Forrester Research

Forrester Research Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony

George F. Colony

Pros
  • The work-life balance at Forrester is really refreshing and strongly encouraged(in 31 reviews)

• Really smart people and has a great place in the market(in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it(in 12 reviews)

• There is a hesitence to speak the truth to senior management(in 15 reviews)

It will change your life...for the better.

Associate Account Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsWork/life balance, incredible benefits, opportunity to work with brilliant minds and educated professionals, entrepreneurial culture, you get to work with influential business leaders in both IT and marketing, it improves business acumen, sharpens selling tool-sets, get to be on the cutting edge of business technology.

ConsLow end of compensation for the industry, not many opportunities for growth/advancement/management. takes a one-size-fits all approach to products, too many layers of superfluous mid-management, training leaves much to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work with how you regard your clients and employees, but get rid of the dead weight!

Dynamic work environment, working alongside very intelligent people.

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe work-life balance at Forrester is really refreshing and strongly encouraged. The people I work with are very smart, insightful and I learn a lot almost everyday. It's a really open environment and people are willing to help and also heed your advice. The research is compelling and their innovation in the marketplace is refreshing and sometimes daring. I respect that.

ConsI would honestly say the biggest downside is the pay - they tried to give me a pay cut for getting a promotion - who does that?! Also they don't take cost of living into consideration, so whether you're in NY, SF or Boston - those markets all mean the same to them. NOT smart coming from a company that does market research.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take cost of living into consideration, people don't want to leave - but when someone offers you a $40K more in base salary elsewhere...that's hard to beat and also a slap in the face to me who is clearly getting paid way under market.

There a reason they have such high staff attrition

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsInteresting content. Allows you to understand some hot areas of interest.

ConsConstant change, which almost always effects sales negatively. With the new CSO trying to be more like Gartner in terms of the pricing but the Forrester is not Gartner. Huge lack in Infrastructure content. Lots of Analysts leaving at moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the impact on the front line before making decisions. Take a look outside the speadsheets to get a real world view on what is happening.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn and grow

Associate Account Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCollaborative culture. Great place to learn and grow.

ConsNo path to promotion. Salary is not competitive.

Great research company

Data Operations (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosgood working environment. flexible schedule.

Consthe company is constantly changing and the organization is very complex and takes quite some time to understand different teams and their responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great people, culture and learning opportunities

Recruiter (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIncredibly smart people with personality! Work/life balance and emphasis on health is amazing. Everyone has a common goal and collaboration is huge. A pretty flat organization where innovation is encouraged.

ConsPay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it.

Great company

ProsGreat culture and emphasis on running your own business. Great benefits and definitely not opposed to asking questions

ConsSenior management seems to change strategies every few years baswd on company performance. Not a lot of training on systems and process, you have toask lots of questions

Great company, great opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsTraining is in-depth, opportunities to learn and grow abound. Time-off policy was pretty flexible and fairly unofficial when I was there. Casual dress code was nice, open seating is great for working with team mates. Great benefits, employee stock purchase and 401K match, compensation felt reasonable.

ConsI really had great opportunities with the company, so I don't have cons to report.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf possible, try to clarify career tracks and make available better resources for internal employees who may want to switch tracks. If someone goes to business school and decides they want to switch to a new department, help them figure out how to transition or present opportunities that incentivize people to pursue further education (beyond the tuition reimbursement program).

Great company, but needs a new CEO

Analyst (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsReally smart people and has a great place in the market. If you love learning a lot about different industries/technologies you will love being an analyst here.

ConsThey should never have gone public. The quarterly pressure is having a bad impact on the teams.

Since the CEO (aka founder) owns the majority of the stock, he ultimately makes all decisions with very little oversight. If you can live with this, you will have a great time. But just understand that it is George's company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about bringing in some grey bearded folks from outside.

So much potential, but...

ProsFlexible schedule. Surrounded by smart people. Intellectually stimulating. Interesting client questions/challenges.

ConsCompany indulges under-performers. Small set of employees that are a drag on overall performance. The company does not do enough to actively manage them out of the business. This point is specific to non-sales side of the organization.
    Company tolerates bad attitudes that are killing the culture. Again, there are a small set of employees - unfortunately, many are in management positions - who come to work each day with a dark cloud of negativity over their heads. They set a negative tone in the office.
    Leadership is lost, though it seems as if things have bottomed out and are getting better. They were obsessed for a while with the stock price and profitability, and lost focus on the WHY of Forrester. That meant that career development, training/coaching opportunities were neglected.
    Manager quality is variable, and, on average, quite low. That means important areas like professional development, coaching and feedback, and career path discussions are neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in managers across the organization. Improving the quality of managers in the organization would be transformative for Forrester.

Worked for Forrester Research? Contribute to the Community!