Forrester Research

Updated December 8, 2014
3.6

Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • The work-life balance at Forrester is really refreshing and strongly encouraged (in 37 reviews)

• Working with extremely smart people and very flexible work environment (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it (in 12 reviews)

• The communication of this back to senior management doesn't seem to be happening effectively (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Intellectually challenging work, surrounded by smart people and fun personalities. My manager listens to concerns, and works with me to identify areas for career growth and development. I've made use of the tuition reimbursement program, and have also been encouraged to pursue and expense other work-related personal development expenses (e.g., review materials and course for a certification exam, exam fees). I've worked from home on days when necessary (caring for an ill family member, waiting for a plumber, etc), and feel that work/life balance is respected here. There is a Fun Committee that helps to bring the office together by sponsoring contests, free ice cream Wednesdays during the summer, etc.

Cons

Benefits have improved, but compensation could be better. Change management is improving, but could be better too. I've been through several reorgs through the years. I've seen good people, high performers, leave because of changes and burnout. More needs to be done to retain and develop young employees (those in their first few years of working).

We need to hire more people. Employees are stretched thin, and more asks are piled on. My manager puts a lot of effort in making sure our team doesn't burn out, and we all push back where we can.

Looks ok on the CV

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Forrester has Great people, great social aspect & best of all table tennis to help you distress from the poor management.

Cons

The company lost most of there good sales leaders which has resulted in poor leadership, poor European strategy. Forrester is very US focused meaning a lack of resources for EU reps. They lack sales training (poor training) and have poor career development in Europe.

Hire some new management as the current leaders in Europe have poor management skills & are terrible at recognizing real talent and rewarding the real talent.

micromanagement

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good research and reports. Fast turnaround internally

Cons

Micromanagement but feedback is not always consistent. Their feedback makes you feel stupid. A lot of gossiping, bickering. A research company but can't hire enough people with strong analytical and process-oriented skills, resulting in an internal mess and inconsistent client experience. Too many layers of client-facing staff, resulting in confusion over who does what. Even salespeople don't know well what roles other internal teams play. The CEO is full of himself, making the onboarding experience boring.

Improve training. Give encouragement and constructive feedback rather than lengthy criticism. Give (negative) feedback in private rather than in front of other people.

Personal growth, questionable strategy

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great content, you really understand where the world is going and what big brands should be doing to "win, serve and retain customers"

Cons

Strategy is excellent for US but in Europe it's harder to sell their product: value it's great but it's not enough. Should have more flexible culture.

Top management changed too much last years. Hard to understand, from my perspective, some c-level firing. I don't like loosing a leader.

Management should really implement the advice they give to other companies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paris (France)

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time

Pros

Prestige, frequency and variety of challenge, PR opportunities, large base of smart analysts to draw upon.

Cons

Poor management. Europe treated as a consultancy not research entity by US. Machiavellian research topic allocation.

Take some of the advice from Forrester reports and apply it to your own organisation. Make research directors and practise leaders more accountable. Implement upward appraisals. Tailor roles to staff skills.

Tough work but rewarding for the motivated

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some flexibility to work at home but this is becoming increasingly difficult as they pressure analysts to be based out of an office. Forrester has recently bolstered its consulting support for analysts which creates more time for research. I get to write what I want, when I want, or at least for the most part. My direct manager is wonderful. The work is HARD and demanding. You need to be very motivated and proactive to be successful here. If you are, it is very rewarding and a positive work environment. Your calendar will be packed. Managing this will be huge to being successful. Willingness to collaborate with others is dependent on teams, whether people are meeting their goals, and the specific analysts.

Cons

Getting harder and harder to access our data and produce good research. Moving from an RA to an analyst is a tough but rewarding path. Unfortunately you are put on a lower salary path than if you've come in from outside. If you've worked your way up from being an RA, you likely will need to leave after a year or two of being an analyst/senior analyst. Luckily that's a good jump start for your career. There's a lot of travel, but if you've got a popular coverage area you can largely dictate if and when you travel (this is a pro and a con). Analysts with smaller or less popular coverage areas likely will need to travel a lot when it comes and also travel for a lot of unpaid events to get business. There's little reward for going above and beyond goals. This job requires diverse skill sets. You'll need to be able to write in the Forrester style, become an expert in a coverage area, be a strong speaker, be organized, and be able to pitch projects and advisory. Failure to do any of these could make it hard to meet your goals.

Pay people more that you've spent the time and effort developing, or we'll leave.
    I love the move towards more metrics. Goals for the next quarter should be set in the first two weeks of the quarter. NOT after the quarter is already over. Nothing disgruntles an employee more than unfair goals getting pushed on them after the quarter is already over.

Great

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, ability to influence at clients at C-level. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

Management is slow to make decisions. Time will go buy and those managers will leave the company and new managers will need time to adjust in order to be able to make decisions.

Pick a direction and stick with it... for longer then 6 months.

On a steady decline over the past few years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Forrester is a well-recognized brand and is respected in the industry. It provides analysts with the rare opportunity to be ahead of the trends, engage with thought leaders and be the go-to experts for big B2C and B2B brands. Great work/life balance which makes up for the cons listed below.

Cons

Work environment can be toxic due to a few primadonnas who use bully tactics against their own colleagues in order to sustain their huge egos. Lack of career development opportunities for analysts. Managers avoid the topic of "promotion" like the plague, which leads to analysts heading for the door when they hit the 3 year mark. Lack of leadership and poor people managers have created an "every man for himself" environment that favors politics over teamwork. The company has recently changed its attitude on remote workers, despite the fact that its offices are located in very expensive cities that are a commuter's worst nightmare. Considering all of the employees who are in remote locations, this can be perceived as a passive-aggressive tactic to get people to leave.

Get up to speed on organizational culture and how to positively motivate employees. Get rid of the ego-centric bullies who inhibit open ideation and collaboration. Launch a career development plan for employees so there is a clear and fair promotion path. Reconsider your attitude towards remote workers and investigate opening satellite offices in client-heavy areas.

Good on CV, but not as rosy as it is made out to be

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, competitive salary, a few good people to work with and opportunity to have C-level dialogue and create professional network.

Cons

Very biased management, will pay lip-service to a few select analysts while the rest are treated like trash. The primadonnas consider them above everyone else. There is lack of cordial professional relations within the company, too many silos to work around, tremendous pressure to generate revenues, constantly changing focus, anyone who opposes CEO's decisions is shown the door...more like a dictatorship. Senior management remain disconnected from market trends and functions at the whims and fancies of the CEO, many time ignoring what the client actually wants.

Be more realistic in your expectations from employees and pay more attention to what the clients want.

A safari in the corporate jungle

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Paris (France)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance; very friendly environment mostly made up of smart quirky people;
    The company seems to finally have figured out a real strategy in the past year and now heading towards that direction with positive results;
    The job creates the opportunity to have C-level discussions and develop a good professional network.

Cons

General climate of condescension from management with the upper hierarchy manifesting with not speaking up the truth;
    The "ecosystem" as they call it turns out to be a real jungle, redundant and made baroque to say the least with a number of middle figures of doubtful value;
    Career paths are still quite blurred and promotions attributed on an uncertain basis, which leaves a lot of wiggle room for some less-than-professional middle managers to push forward their 'protegés'.
    Success in this company is more than any other I've seen in the past structurally based on personal relationships - the fact of having or not a personal good relationship with an analyst might make or break your business, since they still have a great degree of freedom on deciding for whom they have time or not;
    Although there are many exceptions, working with a good deal of analysts will feel to you like turning into the agent of some tyrannic teenage pop star, so you'd better start practicing your zen.

less jargon, more action