Forrester Research

Updated August 15, 2014

3.7

Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • The work-life balance at Forrester is really refreshing and strongly encouraged (in 31 reviews)

• Really smart people and has a great place in the market (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it (in 12 reviews)

• There is a hesitence to speak the truth to senior management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with a lot to look forward to

Current Employee - Sales Development Specialist  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Specialist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, competitive, good base pay, leadership, sharing of best practices, structured, adaptive to change, proactive, good benefits/401k match,

Some of the other reviews mention that Forrester changes too much, but I see it as being proactive to adapt to the forever changing market.I wouldn't even call it change, instead I'd call it improvement. Forrester eat's it's own dog food by having the ability to disrupt the business to create the best customer experience.

A friendly, hard working office environment with great energy which keeps the office from being dull. If you know how to leverage your networking skills and how to access all the marketing tools, you will be successful.

Cons

Nothing I can think of...cafeteria could be better I Suppose. There's not a whole lot of restaurants around to go out for lunch.

All mangers are different. Some are more involved and others let you go as long as you get results. I have no problem with this because these managers hire the people they believe will work with their system. Understanding what your employees are doing exactly is something I recommend because they can adjust the small things in order to increase productivity.

Was once grand, now it's a joke

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance
    Cool office space
    Good people to work with

Cons

Highly noncompetitive salaries
    High analyst turnover
    Poor comp plan

Pay your employees fairly. I was promoted from within (2x) and have been withheld salary increases at every turn, whereas colleagues on my same team, with the same title and same responsibilities, who were hired from outside the firm make $15K-$20K more on their base salaries.

Lagged competitors for years, now stuck its' own echo chamber

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Billings, MO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Billings, MO

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Analysts are easy for clients to work with and will bypass management barriers where they can.
    Some of the most decent people to work with, including senior leadership. They care about their people.
    Disciplined in how they manage money and they have lots of cash
    Front line managers say what leaders want to hear, but behind the scenes will try to give what clients need.
    Some great research on consumer side.

Cons

Very inside/out oriented. CEO and leaders know what's best for clients.
    Slow to realize something's not working. For years, internal structure hurt collaboration and confused clients. Only now is it dying, slowly.
    Deep cynicism among research directors, analysts and salespeople around 1984 like speech requirements. Clients are quietly told "when you read this, don't worry, it really means this"
    Amping up the provocative and what sounds cool over solving problems could erode a long term advantage we had.
    Compliant leadership team. Those who really disagree with CEO, lose influence or leave.

CEO needs to find out what's really going on. Given current tone, it'd have to be anonymous.
    Stop doing things that are obviously silly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive environment

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time

Pros

People are eager to help and strongly encourage employees to utilize the internal ecosystem for knowledge sharing.

Cons

It's not clear who or where you need to go in order to get the answers you need. Often you will have to go through multiple people to finally get to the expert in the space.

Has stalled a bit in recent years

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good work life balance as long as you have a manager that doesn't feel the need to micromanage. Easy to work from home, on-site gym and pretty good benefits.

Cons

Job satisfaction depends heavily on who you work with and report to. So much red tape it's difficult to get anything done and moving up is almost impossible nowadays. Cambridge office is in a crummy location and people don't seem to take much pride in their work anymore. It's more about getting it done or passing the buck.

Over the river and through the woods

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During my tenure at Forrester, I was fortunate enough to have great managers who cared about my professional development and really helped me further my career. My team was a bunch of rock stars and working with them was by far the best part of the job. Other highlights include working with tech industry giants, and having Forrester on your resume to back up your street cred.

Cons

The Cambridge office location is horrible. Rely on public transportation? Good news: It's only a 10 minute walk from the end of the red line, into the woods, down a dirt path, and through a blaze of goose poop. In below freezing winter conditions you can play "try to guess when the shuttle bus will actually show up." Just don't wait inside -- driver does not play nice if you try to wait inside. Driving in? Unless you plan on getting there at 6 am or leaving past 7pm, you're stuck in the inevitable Alewife rotary cluster for who knows how long. The place feels like a prison because once you're there, you're isolated.

Assh*les abound at Forrester -- most noticeably in the analyst ranks. On the bright side, you'll have some very thick skin when you come out on the other side.

Quarterly goal structure discourages collaboration across teams because no one has time to spare for longer projects that don't fall within the predetermined goal guidelines.

George doesn't walk on water. You'd save yourselves a lot of frustration if someone could finally grow a pair and tell him as much.

Culture is a double-edged sword

Former Employee - Director, Business Development  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Director, Business Development in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Forrester Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the smartest analysts in the industry. Brand has a terrific reputation. Company never rests on its laurels.

Cons

CEO claims to thrive on change, but firm struggles to manage it... Constant re-organizations and compensation plan changes translate to high employee turnover... This creates headaches for remaining employees -- and some clients.

Pick a course and stick with it -- at least long enough to understand/measure the impact on employees and clients. Also, show more appreciation to your employees, the research is great, but it does not "sell itself".

Challenging and rewarding career with the most amazing culture ever!

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are fantastic. The collaboration across the team is awesome. The compensation is great. Work / Life balance is excellent

Cons

The complexity of navigating across the internal ecosystem

Innovate beyond written research and meet people where they are......which is "on the go"

Mostly positive, but the constant change is wearing me down.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance is a priority here and much appreciated. Smart, curious, friendly people work here. The Cambridge office is in a beautiful building.

Cons

Constant change is daunting and demoralizing.

Let it rest. Give employees a chance to catch their breath.

Great place to grow in your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and interesting coworkers, good upward mobility, good work/life balance, opportunities for travel and for telecommuting

Cons

Compensation a little low, new location is further from Boston

Keep doing the quarterly company meetings. It helps to keep everyone motivated.

Worked for Forrester Research? Contribute to the Community!