Fort Worth Independent School District

Fort Worth Independent School District Superintendent Walter Dansby
Walter Dansby

OK

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District

Pros

compensation, days off, vacation, mission of the district, education

Cons

leadership, culture in the district

Teacher

I worked at Fort Worth Independent School District as a contractor

Pros

The kids, no really the students are the bright spot; as they should be for any educator. The kids are not the best or most disciplined and working with them can be difficult esp when testing time comes around.

Cons

An administration over your shoulder, at least at my school. There is no support for new teachers. There's good and bad ways to offer support and I consider being over my shoulder negative support. Talking behind teacher's backs is also inappropriate (something I witnessed). All around negative atmosphere. I really only enjoyed being in the classroom with the students.

Give your teachers autonomy when it comes to education. Have positive support for new teachers. The goal is to keep teachers, not scare them off.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get a lot of much needed vacation time.

Cons

Policies and procedures prevent us from actually caring about our students

Care more for your students and employees rather than test scores.

great people, great kids

Current Employee - Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The kids are the reason you go into the education field, that is the only real pro I can think of. The people I work with are great and really enjoy what they do which makes the environment comfortable with lots of laughs.

Cons

The benefits are not outstanding, but better than some companies. Expect to pay deeply into your pocket for health insurance. The hiring process was disorganized, and I felt pressured into starting my job before allowing the appropriate two week notice for my current employer. The irony is the lack of educational training and support, I found that to be odd that the district doesn't embrace professional development for their employees both outside of the classroom and inside.

Fixing hiring process, it is unorganized, feels chaotic, and a touch on the stressful side. Restructure the hiring process for classroom positions vs. non classroom positions. People working in administration are business professionals who are taken aback when told to provide a reference from a current employee, without being promised a job. If you want to keep and retain the best people to make the district run more efficiently you have to streamline the processes everywhere. Professional development, grow your people, with growth people remain happy and naturally do a better job.

Decent administration, but poor environment and resources

Current Employee - English Teacher in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some awesome kids that deserve so much more than they are getting in this environment. There are also some amazingly dedicated teachers making a huge difference. Lots of technology to utilize, but a lack of basic supplies and books.

Cons

Many students come from poor educational backgrounds. Too much focus on teaching to the test. Lots of staff overturn and reassignment. Many new teachers just starting out to help support. Too many discipline issues and unhelpful parents/guardians. No funds for materials that are needed.

Great Music Department

Former Employee - Elementary Music Teacher/Middle School Choir Director in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most unusual. VERY friendly, supportive and caring leaders & peers. Excellent training and
     GREAT leadership. Mentor programs are in place and systems to help you succeed. Food at all meetings which leads to social interaction and team building among colleagues ...developing relationships. Everyone is connected via email and they openly share ideas & offer support.

Cons

The paperwork for UIL contests and field trips is massive

The administration is more interested in trying the "next trend"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time

Pros

Stable -- students need good, passionate, compassionate examples to follow. Compensation is above average, compared to other districts. There are some outstanding teachers in the district.

Cons

Administration is more interested in "the next thing", rather than the thing that works. You could spend your life learning new acronyms. Management is inconsistent. There are schools in which one should carefully consider working because of leadership-- not students.

Think carefully about an employee's skills and talents before allowing placement.

Mismanagement of Children's Education Funds.

Former Employee - Staffing Assistant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Staffing Assistant in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Gold Seal Programs. The retirement benefits are great too. What company can guarantee that you will get paid a percentage of your highest wages for the rest of your life. You can retired at 65 and live to 100 and get over $80,000 a year. Depending on how much you make and how many years you worked for the district.

Cons

Mismanagement of money. The administration has allocated 85% of the budget for salaries. You have school principals that should be fired. Instead they are errand boys at the administration building until they qualify for their retirement.

Hired people with a business degree and not a art teacher to run the business side. You can't color business common sense.

Enjoy my job at my neighborhood school.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Children, colleagues, principal of my school.

Cons

Top heavy administration; poor communication from administration (other than Dr. Dansby)

Treat your teachers as though you value them

Typical urban district with plenty of politics at the district level

Current Employee - Administrator in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Administrator in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most teachers are dedicated and qualified and have the best interests of the children at heart.

Cons

Many district level leaders have lost touch with the day to day operations and challenges at the campus level.

Stop the insanity. Stop putting incompetent leaders in principal and district level positions just because they "know" someone. Don't place a person with only elementary experience in charge of secondary schools or programs.

Fort Worth Independent School District Photos