Fort Worth Independent School District

Fort Worth Independent School District Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Fort Worth Independent School District Superintendent Walter Dansby

Walter Dansby

Typical urban district with plenty of politics at the district level

Administrator (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsMost teachers are dedicated and qualified and have the best interests of the children at heart.

ConsMany district level leaders have lost touch with the day to day operations and challenges at the campus level.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the insanity. Stop putting incompetent leaders in principal and district level positions just because they "know" someone. Don't place a person with only elementary experience in charge of secondary schools or programs.

Mismanagement of Children's Education Funds.

Staffing Assistant (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat Gold Seal Programs. The retirement benefits are great too. What company can guarantee that you will get paid a percentage of your highest wages for the rest of your life. You can retired at 65 and live to 100 and get over $80,000 a year. Depending on how much you make and how many years you worked for the district.

ConsMismanagement of money. The administration has allocated 85% of the budget for salaries. You have school principals that should be fired. Instead they are errand boys at the administration building until they qualify for their retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHired people with a business degree and not a art teacher to run the business side. You can't color business common sense.

Teacher

ProsInteract with children and parents

ConsA lot of paperwork and meetings

Advice to Senior Managementdecrease paperwork

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoy my job at my neighborhood school.

Elementary Teacher (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsChildren, colleagues, principal of my school.

ConsTop heavy administration; poor communication from administration (other than Dr. Dansby)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your teachers as though you value them

Substitute Teaching in Fort Worth ISD

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThis is a good job for someone that needs flexibility in their schedule and can deal with a new work environment and new tasks daily. This is great for a stay at home parent while their children are at school or a person thinking about going into teaching as a career. This can give you experience and insight. If you enjoy working with children, this is a good opportunity. There is pretty much no interview process. You apply online and if you are hired, you go through a background check and short training process. There are sometimes opportunities for half days. In this district, you are not required to have teaching certification, just a certain amount of college hours. This has changed to be lowered recently but I know it is less hours than what it takes to receive your Associate's. Your pay will be directly deposited into your bank account on the same day each month, no check to fuss with. There is a website that can be utilized to find a sub job. This tells where the job is, who it is for, and the type. Sometimes the teacher will add special instructions or extra information which is always nice. This makes it easier to find a job that suits you personally and to have a moment to think about it rather than making a quick decision over the phone when the call center calls you. It is encouraged to work an average of at least 2 days per week, however this is not strictly enforced if you consistently work and are reliable. If you establish your name in a school you enjoy, you are likely to begin receiving calls from that teacher again or other teachers in that school. This is nice for building more consistency in your work week and working in an environment that you know you enjoy. It is so great to get to know the kids and have them jump for joy when you return. The kids are the best part of this job. I think most subs will discover an age group they prefer and will seek those jobs. I have found that this widely varies from teacher to teacher and is a very personal preference. In my experience, the lesson plans are typically either very easy to follow and basic, or they are very specific which is also nice. I have not yet been in a situation where there is no lesson plan, however this can happen. There are free workshops offered for substitute teachers which can help with many areas of the job such as classroom management, building a sub pack, special education, etc...

ConsThe pay is low. About $73 per day or $35 for half day. The hiring process takes a while. You may not hear back from the district for several weeks after initial application and then the orientation process also takes weeks. Personally, it was 2.5 months from the time I applied to the time I took a job. You get paid monthly which is sometimes a pro but also a long wait if you need money NOW. There are no benefits available for substitutes, even if you work full time. There is no compensation for subs during the summer or holidays. If you do not have your teaching certification, you will have to pay $40 for a sub training and exam process online. However, you do not have to have this done immediately upon working. You can begin work and will have some time to accomplish this. It should not be difficult for someone with basic knowledge of the learning process and school environment. You are required to have a bank account in order to be paid for this job. Be prepared with a printed copy of our account and routing numbers when you go in for orientation or you will have to return with it before you can work. The phone calls are very frequent which can sometimes become aggravating but is part of the job and should be accepted as a new way of life. I would recommend you have unlimited minutes in a cell phone plan because they will leave an automated message if you do not answer. There are no opportunities for promotion or pay raise with this job. Any advancement is entirely self-motivated and requires action on your part. Your pay is only affected by the hours you work, not the energy or heart you put in. Sometimes you have very little information to go off of in regard to what the job will entail. In these cases, you will need to prepare yourself immediately for mapping out the school location, best route, traffic, etc... and will need to have ideas for fill-in activities in the rare case that a teacher does not leave a thorough lesson plan. Classroom management can sometimes be stressful but if you can stay professional, leave emotions out of it, and keep the students busy it shouldn't be a big issue. It is part of the job and comes with experience. The more self training you do (online or reading teaching books for example) the easier this becomes and the more you can enjoy the other aspects of this job. These tactics become second nature. There is a specific science to it that has been proven to work and this training is all offered in $40 online training program. There will also be a classroom management training that you are required to attend.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy only advice would be to get a district wide message to permanent teachers heavily encouraging them to leave a smidgeon of information in the text/voice instructions if time allows. Most subs that I know are more likely to take a job that they have more information about. I honestly believe that this would lead to more jobs being filled. The most difficult part of subbing is committing to going blindly into a day of work. Any time there is a little extra information, I am more likely to accept a job. I would also recommend focusing a larger portion of the orientation/training on information about special education jobs. Although I understand these jobs are not for everyone, I really do believe that with a little more information and preparation, subs would feel more comfortable taking these jobs. Many believe that they are not capable when they probably are. Thank you!

Overall Positive experience.

High School Math Teacher (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThey offer the best training for your position!!

ConsThe goals for the students for the most part is to only pass the TAKS test. They struggle to keep the minimum standard of education due to the low level of knowledge of the students. Some Hispanic students, are only in school until they are old enough to not attend, without being caught up in truancy court. Some students don't do homework because they have to go to work right after school to support their families, or to babysit their younger siblings.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce school policies consistently, from the BEGINNING of the year. too often, you let students get away with things until after the TAKS test and then you try and enforce them. THE YEAR IS ALREADY 90% OVER BY THEN!!!

Varied, flexible work environment for those in Grad school, with another job, or other obligations.

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe schedule is flexible, and you can choose which schools you wish to go to, as well as which subject and grade level to teach.

ConsWhile the staff at most schools are helpful and friendly, some are not. Likewise, the students at some schools are more cooperative and respectful than those at other schools. Additionally, the salary is too low for the skill set and knowledge required.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries, and provide school staff with training on how to work well with others.

Good job

Transportation (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsIt's a great start to your cdl driving experience

ConsKeeping the children under control on bus.

Good place to start out

Middle School Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood starting salary for the area

ConsVery behind I the educational power curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make educational decisions that affect your stakeholders just because they sound good or another large district has used that program. Use your teachers in true focus groups for the development of the district.

It was meh...

Communications (Former Employee)

Prosnot very many
    very lame

Constoo many to list in such a small box

Advice to Senior Managementget it together

Worked for Fort Worth Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fort Worth Independent School District reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fort Worth Independent School District CEO Walter Dansby. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Fort Worth Independent School District employees.