Fort Worth Star-Telegram

www.star-telegram.com

Fort Worth Star-Telegram Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Fort Worth Star-Telegram – US – “Newsroom in new building”

Gary Wortel

Great when journalism was great

Reporter (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsLoved working with the staff there.

ConsNew publisher came in, everyone swept out. And this is before newspapers really collapsed.

Classified Advertising Sales

Classified Advertising Sales (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe people were to work with in all departments.

ConsLow pay with cap on commissions

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your employees when they get ill. Getting ill is not planned and unfortunately your office hours are the same hours as a doctors office. Letting them go 2 days before the FMLA law takes affect is

Former newspaper production employee

Production Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsConsistent employment for 30+ years. 401k savings. co-workers many who are long term friends.

ConsUncertainty in the newspaper industry. If you are a journalism graduate or advertising sales person
    okay for employment. All other jobs??? Worse thing to happen to the Star-Telegram is McClatchy
    our parent company. Down hill since 2006. Lost its luster after McClatchy purchased paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcClatchy paid too much for Knight- Ridder papers in 2006. Knight-Ridder should have sold to Gannett.
    Stop worrying about the debt and focus on the employees who have built the ST over the last 100+ years.
    You have lost too many good workers. Return to covering LOCAL news about Fort Worth and surrounding
    communities. International and National news available from many other sources.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ceiling caving in on sales people

Account Executive (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThere are really good and caring people working there that are easy to form life long friendships with.

ConsThe goal of the management is to NOT pay commission. They are consistently trying to find ways not to pay the sales people above the base salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your people…..they take care of you.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat atmosphere. Flexible hours. People are amazing. Family-like environment. Managers are good people.

ConsNot many advancement opportunities. No retirement. Salaries are non-negotiable (but still competitive).

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the young people. Stop making safe hires for new employees and look for higher ceiling candidates.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Better if locally owned.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsLocal magement used to be willing to listen to employees. Worked there durring pre McClatchy days. A lot changed with the new owners.

ConsMust fight decade old "that is just how we do it" mentality with corporate leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun each individual paper as it's own company and let all local decisions be made at a local level. (and by someone who grew up in the community)

Great environment until acquired by McClatchy

Pre-Press (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsCompetitive pay and benefits. Company willing to train and provide support. Co-workers willing to help. Great environment.

ConsVery stressful the last five years since company acquired by McClatchy. Downsizing has resulted in knowledgeable workers being replaced by inexperienced part-time help. Equipment is not being replaced or maintained properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with employees better about changes due to downsizing.

Great people, great environment

Account Executive (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat work-life balance, good people to work with

ConsTough industry to be in

Wrong industry to be in.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsCommitted team. Mostly good work ethic. Relaxed office culture. Decent benefits. Great location. Section editors are loyal to their workers.

ConsCrumbling infrastructure. Job security is miserable at best. Work schedule is terrible. Morale is lowering. Financial minded higher ups not worried about the professional journalists.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit laying off everyone under the age of 35. In an industry that is struggling to earn young readers and advertisers that cater to young people, laying off nearly all the young employees seems counter productive.

Good place to use as a stepping stone

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood people working at the people

ConsIt's a man's club at the paper for the management team

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your frontline salespeople and your customer

Worked for Fort Worth Star-Telegram? Contribute to the Community!