Fort Worth Zoo

Michael Fouraker

Ok job

Current Employee - Janitorial in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Janitorial in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Zoo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a job to help with bills that needed to be paid

Cons

No room to advance

The lowly stay low

Former Employee - Keeper in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Zoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with animals
    full time earns almost a day of vacation off ever two weeks
    good benefits
    a christmas gift worth up to $1 each year
    voted best place to work - by people who couldn't get jobs anywhere else and kids that really don't want to work but their parents made them

Cons

little to no chance of advancement
    no holidays off - the time is built into vacation time
    no sick time - considered your vacation time
    no investment in employees to develop or better themselves while management spends weeks in the Caribbean doing "research"
    high deductible
    work most- to- all weekends unless you are the top of the totem pole
    often short staffed
    management doesn't care about employees, enough people want to work with animals that they know they can fill your job easily and back at starting pay
    low starting pay, don't require a degree, don't pay for one
    the heat in summer and the cold in winter

Good place to work, limited growth.

Former Employee - Keeper in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Zoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The zoo provides a good coworker and management experience. Some higher than average flexibility in schedules. Nothing can replace the joy and pride you get from working for/with the animals. Offers full benefits. Has PTO accrual program (great for planned days off). Michael Fouraker (Head Hancho) gives the opportunity for lower staff to voice their opinions and/or concerns directly.

Cons

Very restricted in ability to preform research projects. The way the zoo is structured, as a keeper, there is little opportunity to grow your career into higher positions. The best way to combat lack of growth is to gain your years of experience here and seek employment elsewhere, or just begin your career elsewhere. Pay raises are very minimal. Benefits are not something to write home about.

None

I miss this job so much

Former Employee - Admissions Cashier in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Cashier in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Zoo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, awesome management, great hours. I was part-time and getting up to 39 hours a week! It was such a fun place to work, especially in my department, because you got to really meet people from all different cultures and places. My department specifically had a cool system where you chose preferences in which you wanted to leave. The closer had to stay until closing, but the other four in the ticket booth and the five out on the entry bridge were able to choose around which time they preferred to leave. Breaks were 45 minutes and there was a 40% on food. Walking around the zoo on break was fun as well!

Cons

Hours got a little slow in the winter. There were many times I'd show up to work only to be told to go home, but that was just on extreme weather days such as a mix of cold/rain/storm, etc. If you stress easily, Spring Break will be awful. You do have to count your own money at the end of the day, and you can't leave until you balance or until a manager signs off reporting that money is missing from your till. You will be counting up to $10,000 a day in cash and credit receipts.

Just get a little bit more organized when it comes to scheduling during winter months. It was no fun driving all the way to work only to be told you weren't needed that day. Other than that, the zoo was amazing.

Full time Summer/Part Time School Year College Student Highly Approves

Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Fort Worth Zoo part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is great for what is required of you ($8.00/hr in Food Service). Relaxed job, usually not too busy on a regular day. High school students can get hired for their first job or a summer job easily. Supervisors will help workout a schedule that fits what you're going through. High school students usually work weekends during the school year, and college students during the week and weekends. Very friendly supervisors. Five free call ins every six months, the rest can be covered with school or doctors notes. Can usually get requested days off. No food service members work on Christmas. 8 free guest passes a year and 40% off food and merchandise. Management hires within for supervisors.

Cons

Must work holidays (except Christmas) if you normally work said day unless you can ask for it in way advance, otherwise you must call in, couldn't get Easter off myself. No 401(k) option, no benefits (from a revenue operations perspective). Since a majority of the revenue operations employees are in high school, there is an occasional lazy or stubborn person you have to deal with. Spring break can be terrible with the amount of people that show up.

Don't expect much career advancement or pay increases—merely a stepping stone for some.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Zoo

Pros

My particular position was in the main office, however, my job duties often included helping with outdoor events. Many of my co-workers were nice as well.

Cons

Being a non-profit company, there weren't many (if any) pay increases. The work load was fairly heavy at times, without much positive feedback for a job well done. I felt more like a drone, so I bided my time until I found a new job. Expect to work on weekends here and there for events.

Appreciate your employees more instead of just expecting them to crank out the work. Perks, even small ones, will go a long way for morale. Too many meetings!

The Fort Worth Zoo is a great place for a starter job before moving elsewhere.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Zoo

Pros

Being able to walk around the park on stressful days is a great way to alleviate stress! As a first job out of college, it was a great place to learn information technology and get my hands dirty. I was able to implement many ideas simply because the systems administration done prior was not standardized and was lacking. Also, the majority of the staff at the park was great to work with.

Cons

Since the Zoo is a non-profit, salaries are entry level. Also, there isn't any career development in place. Being forced to "volunteer" at certain annual events (Zoo Run, Boo at the Zoo) was a drag.

Give the Human Resources staff pay raises- they are great to work with!

Good place for internship

Former Employee - Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Fort Worth Zoo

Pros

The staff was very helpful - a lot of young professionals. Great with working around your schedule. Good inside look at how the Zoo's admin/business side is run.

Cons

Internship pay was not competitive with other internships in the area - but that is to be expected of a non-profit.

The management was helpful while I was there. Always had an "open-door" policy. Worked well with the interns - made time for us.