Fortino's Supermarkets

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.9

CEO

Fortino's taught me how to manage.

I worked at Fortino's Supermarkets

Pros

Fortino's has a strong and stable culture. They taught me about integrity, responsibility, accountability and ownership. They allow their managers to manage and be creative without micro managing. I enjoyed the honesty, trust and directness. Its a professional company with a strong culture. It was one of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Cons

More communication is necessary to find out about employee growth within the company.

Review your managers and find out what their goals are. Keep the communication open. With more communication there is more dedication and much more loyalty. .

Great for Students

Current Employee - Cashier in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Fortino's Supermarkets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the location I am at, the mangers are nice. I have been there for 5 years and they have worked around my school schedule with no hassle. They recognize when your doing a good job and will treat you accordingly. Benefits are amazing for a supermarket position.

Cons

You will always run into people who are lazy and don't want to do there jobs properly. Even though you are recognized for doing a good job, doesn't mean you get promoted. Some customers will treat you poorly but that is within any retail job. Very slim chance you will work full time. Mostly only hire for part-time. Benefits kick in only after you been there for +3 years and have to maintain a certain amount of hours in calendar year.

had a great manager ever since they left its been downhill,

I have been working at Fortino's Supermarkets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

most of the employes are great, its a decent first job to get some experience, some managers are decent, before my manager left i felt valued and i was well taken care of

Cons

about half of the managers are rude, hard work goes unrecognized and pays not great, schedules are hit and miss, their union is a little backwards on certain issues as well, lots of little loop holes that makes you feel under valued as a an employee and there seems to be little room for growth at least in my department

Horrible

Current Employee - Bean Roast
    Current Employee - Bean Roast

I have been working at Fortino's Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ive been working here for 4 yrs and i really want to leave!. The only thing keeping me there is location and schedule flexibility. Also ive made good friends here

Cons

In my dept there is alot of washing/cleaning
    No discount
    No appreciation from manager or franchisee
    My manager gets away with everything. Always calling in "sick" and screws over our dept. and the thing that annoys me is she keeps getting away with it. We do all the work(baking off pastries, ordering).
     If it wasnt for my manager this job wouldnt be so bad.

Make sure the franchisee is personable. Customers arent liking out new franchisee. Make it possible for employees to get in contact with you without franchisee being involved.

Good Company

Former Employee - Clerk in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clerk in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Fortino's Supermarkets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The managers are very helpful in showing things that need to be done. They do their best to accommodate to your schedule, trying their best to work around your schedule, which is very helpful while attending school.

Cons

There is not much personal growth unless you work there a very long time. The only downfall would be the people you work with, not the managers but your co-workers. Often times things were not getting done and you have to deal with lazy people.

Continue to encourage people to do more work.

Management is horrible

Former Employee - Hot Foods in Ancaster, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Hot Foods in Ancaster, ON (Canada)

I worked at Fortino's Supermarkets part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros, just don't work here maybe for the hourly wage but that's it

Cons

Managers have no respect for employees, managers take random several hourly breaks doing nothing.

Get it together.

good one

I have been working at Fortino's Supermarkets

Pros

friendly staff with nice attitude

Cons

too far from my home

Secure place to work

Current Employee - Joe Fresh Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Joe Fresh Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Fortino's Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary, great benefits, you feel like part of a family

Cons

The business is starting to care less about their employees and is becoming 'greedy' with the companies earnings. Bonus' and such are being taken away...

It's like working with a bunch of dramatic people. Highschool immaturity.

Some perks for working hard would be nice. Seems to be that moving up internally is impossible... Even if you're incredible with what you do.

Extremely challenging, would not go back, efforts go unnoticed and unappreciated

Former Employee - Department Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Fortino's Supermarkets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None that I am aware of.

Cons

Working conditions, salary, long long hours, chaotic, no recognition(not even a thank-you) even when outstanding results were achieved. You are just a number. Anyone at any level within the organization can be replaced within a day.

Learn to treat your employees like human beings. Reward those who have gone above and beyond and produced great results. Pay competitive salaries. Reduce chaos in the environment. Hire more intelligent Franchisees and Department Managers who have at least a post-secondary education.

loved it

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Fortino's Supermarkets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

amazing fresh food, great colleagues to work with

Cons

scheduling by seniority, hard to get to full time