I worked at Fortis (Canada)
Pros – 1. Well known company in NL
2. Better benefit packages - Health, dental, RRSPs - can also snag some perks like tickets to hockey game or concert depending on division you're in
3. Really great people to work with - nice and for the most part good at their job
Cons – 1. Low pay - especially low compared to other industries that are not oil & gas
2. Long hours - Don't be shocked to be constantly putting in 50-60 hours a week depending on position and division you're in
3. High turnover - This goes with 1 and 2
4. Advancement Opportunities - There are some advancement opportunities but internals don't get first consideration...dont be surprised if someone below you becomes your superior in a year while you're left stuck.
5. Management - It's hit or miss--Some of them are smart and good at their job....others will be leaving you scrathing your head wondering what were they thinking. It goes with any place really
Advice to Senior Management – Start raising pay across the board and create more positions which will allow people to do their jobs well and not be stressed out. Guarantee that this will almost kill the turnover in the company
2011-11-28 06:46 PST
I worked at Fortis (Canada) full-time for more than a year
Pros – - Good benefit package-- one of the better ones in NL outside O&G....too bad that's it.
Cons – - Horrible pay in comparison to similar jobs at other companies. Very bottom line driven.
- Managers are either overworked heavily or do very little. Chances are you'll be the former. Oh yea, no pay for overtime either.
- No job descriptions. They will tack on any title(s) just to fill the gaps, which shows how much they care about your career. They wanted me to do more than two jobs for a measly pay...as if that was going to happen.
- Middle management has no teeth and quite a few of them don't have a clue what they're doing.
Advice to Senior Management – Increase your pay across the board, increase your head count, and get rid of the underperformers. I' hope they're not content just being a springboard for people's careers. There's a reason why they have a bad reputation in NL.
No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company
2012-09-10 04:55 PDT
Your feedback has been sent to the team and we'll look into it.
Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.
Simply post an anonymous review for a current/former employer or recent interview experience. Your post is anonymous – and if you're worried someone will be able to identify your review, you can even post without telling us your job title and location. Learn More.
No thanks –