Fortnum & Mason

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kate Hobhouse

Good Place to work for!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosstaff discount is a generous 40%. I loved the uniform. I worked in Piccadilly...very central.

the senior staff are very senior, which means they have a lot of knowledge to pass onto you about he products to help you become the best sales assistant.

Consthe pay packet, was not the greatest, considering the calibre of store it is.

Advice to Senior Management*I can remember being trained very well.
    *I was also given the opportunity to work across department.
    "I also loved the whole idea of have a update meeting at the start of each day.

Retail Manager Position - Generally Good (a few highs and lows)

Retail Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHeritage, Discount, social after work

Consopening hours ! (esp. xmas, expected to work most weekends. Politics annoying .

Advice to Senior Managementmore reasonable break from working most weekends.

Has been a great experience working there, great people and management. The environment is wonderful.

Manager (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsPeople , environment.Location. All is good.

Consworking sundays.Bank holidays might be open also.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on as you are

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

low pay and a grim outlook

Customer Relations (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros1. Occupies a beautiful building, its semi-original residence since the late eighteenth century, in Piccadilly.
    2. There are some really lovely, long-term employees who know a great deal about F&M's history.
    3. Located very close to Green Park tube station, which is served by both Piccadilly and Jubilee lines. Also a short walk from Piccadilly Circus, or a 10-minute walk from Leicester Square, for the Northern line.
    4. The new CEO seems to be interested in focusing Fortnum's image as a mecca for foodies without getting too trendy or going against its inherent and essential Englishness.

Cons1. The store has a long history and remains very beautiful, but has lost quite a bit of its popularity in recent years, due mostly to its declining service and the gradual extinction of its clientele. Backstage in the stairwells, kitchens, and offices, yellow paint peels from the walls and everything feels dirty. A complete 180 from the sheen of the store itself.
    2. There are many deeply incompetent employees. They tend to be managers.
    3. A salary is this company's way of capping how much they have to pay you, while ensuring they squeeze as much time from you as possible. Employees in salaried positions will be asked to clock in and clock out each day. Missed hours will be taken from your pay. Things really get interesting when you end up clocking more hours than your salary pays you for because your department is understaffed. You do not get paid for your extra time. Also, your salary will not support even a very modest life in London. Most employees under 30 (and some over 30) live with their parents -- outside of the city.
    4. The new CEO seems to be relatively short-sighted financially. Either that, or he's not making sure his long-term plans are executed by his underlings.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are struggling to keep a loyal clientele in part because your service is truly poor. The only way to improve that service is to make sure you're cutting the idiot employees and keeping the clever ones. You're doing the opposite.

Magical Iconic Great London Store

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsHeritage, Quality of Stock, Supplier Network

ConsSmall store so less chance of progression

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within who are loyal skilled staff

Friendly environment

Human Resources Recruitment Administrator (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood staff and good atmosphere. Great location. Good staff discount. Emphasis on quality knowledge of products for staff. Beautiful shop.

ConsMarketing department fails to recognise potential of the brand of Fortnum & Mason. Product quality is higher than competitors but the lack of publicity costs the shop potential sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think marketing

Lovely store

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsExcellent surroundings, people to work with. Beautiful inside, great food, wines and fashion lines. Helpful staff.

ConsWished that they had more staff and less management . The management team has got bigger and at times we do not know if we are coming or going.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet together with your team, so that we do not get conflicting requests.

Worked for Fortnum & Mason? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fortnum & Mason reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fortnum & Mason CEO Kate Hobhouse. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Fortnum & Mason employees.