Fortnum & Mason

Updated November 23, 2014
3.9

Kate Hobhouse

Professional yet friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - Corporate Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A constant professional atmosphere and a really great team to work with. Solid wages, nice work space and a good degree of respect along with friendly and helpful training. I was allowed freedom to make my own decisions on tasks that gave me a sense of self confidence as well as allowing myself to keep jobs under control. Civilized hours of work

Cons

Slightly touch and go system that I had to sometimes take the blame for from customers, and little time off in the working day.

Make sure the corporate order system is sorted completely and maybe allow a short afternoon break

excellent heritage

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in East London (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in East London (South Africa)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason part-time (less than an year)

Pros

well behaved,organised,royal environment feeling like working for royal family.

Cons

The posh and royal impression giving culture.

should be provide frequent training.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not everyday has to be the same. As a member of staff you will get informative and relevant training to your role and it can also be an enjoyable place to work due to the colleagues and staff you encounter on a daily basis.

Cons

Other luxury retailers seem to pay more and development is minimal.

Value your team and try not to think of them like replaceable pawns.

Disorganised and excessively bureaucratic but fun and lively

Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice range of departments, a number of decent perks, nice working for somewhere famous and historical, and cool to encounter celebrities. A nice range of people working too - from gap year university applicants to long term older employees, and generally people are very friendly and there is the potential for a good social aspect.

Cons

There are far too many useless managers. All the managers in my restaurant were fantastic and really earned the extra salary they were paid, but plenty of the non-floor managers just stand around not doing anything and seem pointless.
    Also, temporary staff aren't paid tips which creates an inequality and resentment and does little to inspire them to work hard. Additionally the human resources department is unacceptably disorganised and you can spend weeks trying to get a reply to a simple question.

Improve HR to look after staff better and make final details of employment smoother. Get rid of plenty of the non-floor managers - I can't imagine how much income is swallowed up by them when it could be directed so much more effectively

I have enjoyed my time there

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Back then the staff and management was lovely to work around, there weren't many snotty customers, mainly humble tourists. The products were great and I was proud to be selling them. Christmas department was thriving and it was certainly an experience to work there. Staff shop offered great products at incredibly cheap prices and discount was excellent. Two weekends off per month, mainly day shifts finishing at 6.15pm which offers great work/life balance.

Cons

Very boring during other parts of the year..., products becoming too cheap and quality of them questionable. No commission which would make the staff work a bit harder.

As Fortnums is a place with lots of senior staff, the possibility of progression has always been quite thin. Salary is not very good although competitive among other London retail stores. Staff is the key to your success, hire people passionate about the department they'll be working in and you'll get the best out of them..

not nice management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

bad organize. They don't appreciate hard working people.

Cons

against of manager who is lazy and stealing money.

Need to have really details care rather staff is just donkey.

Good Place to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

staff discount is a generous 40%. I loved the uniform. I worked in Piccadilly...very central.

the senior staff are very senior, which means they have a lot of knowledge to pass onto you about he products to help you become the best sales assistant.

Cons

the pay packet, was not the greatest, considering the calibre of store it is.

*I can remember being trained very well.
    *I was also given the opportunity to work across department.
    "I also loved the whole idea of have a update meeting at the start of each day.

Retail Manager Position - Generally Good (a few highs and lows)

Current Employee - Retail Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Fortnum & Mason full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Heritage, Discount, social after work

Cons

opening hours ! (esp. xmas, expected to work most weekends. Politics annoying .

more reasonable break from working most weekends.

Has been a great experience working there, great people and management.
    The environment is wonderful.

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Fortnum & Mason full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People , environment.Location. All is good.

Cons

working sundays.Bank holidays might be open also.

Carry on as you are

low pay and a grim outlook

Former Employee - Customer Relations in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Relations in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fortnum & Mason full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Occupies a beautiful building, its semi-original residence since the late eighteenth century, in Piccadilly.
    2. There are some really lovely, long-term employees who know a great deal about F&M's history.
    3. Located very close to Green Park tube station, which is served by both Piccadilly and Jubilee lines. Also a short walk from Piccadilly Circus, or a 10-minute walk from Leicester Square, for the Northern line.
    4. The new CEO seems to be interested in focusing Fortnum's image as a mecca for foodies without getting too trendy or going against its inherent and essential Englishness.

Cons

1. The store has a long history and remains very beautiful, but has lost quite a bit of its popularity in recent years, due mostly to its declining service and the gradual extinction of its clientele. Backstage in the stairwells, kitchens, and offices, yellow paint peels from the walls and everything feels dirty. A complete 180 from the sheen of the store itself.
    2. There are many deeply incompetent employees. They tend to be managers.
    3. A salary is this company's way of capping how much they have to pay you, while ensuring they squeeze as much time from you as possible. Employees in salaried positions will be asked to clock in and clock out each day. Missed hours will be taken from your pay. Things really get interesting when you end up clocking more hours than your salary pays you for because your department is understaffed. You do not get paid for your extra time. Also, your salary will not support even a very modest life in London. Most employees under 30 (and some over 30) live with their parents -- outside of the city.
    4. The new CEO seems to be relatively short-sighted financially. Either that, or he's not making sure his long-term plans are executed by his underlings.

You are struggling to keep a loyal clientele in part because your service is truly poor. The only way to improve that service is to make sure you're cutting the idiot employees and keeping the clever ones. You're doing the opposite.