Fortress Investment Group

Add Photos

Randal A. Nardone

Good company

Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart people, strong manager, nice location

Conssometimes they hire wrong person

Deutsche Bank of Hedge Funds

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBonus compensation; that was really it.

ConsOperations team seems to have a proverbial stick up the you know where. Regardless of how well they're treated by other groups, they have an inherent hatred of each other and have constant miserable attitudes, and often don't train new hires, and brush them off. When initiative is taken to take self-training courses for products that are used, you are reprimanded, then alienated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the initiative to have the medical procedure to have the sticks removed from your you-know-where.

Excellent place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, compensation and environment. Executives work as hard as they expect everyone else too which is great to see.

ConsBe prepared to put your time in but if you do you will be well compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You can do better.

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLooks great on the resume.

Close to the subway.

ConsThe back office in general is a capitally mismanaged meat-grinder. There is very little in terms of year-end reviews, raises or employee appreciation. Bonuses are reasonable but considering how much you'll work for them, they will be underwhelming. In general the message is - just be happy you have a job.

There are some managers who genuinely care about their underlings but that does not seem to be the overall tone at the top.

The culture lacks in collegial environment and professionalism which is surprising for a firm of this caliber. Don't take me wrong - you'll work with some great people - they have brilliant, amazing individuals at Fortress, but unfortunately there is no fundamental culture that discourages the bad apples from treating the rest like crap and rewards those who make a real positive impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are not cogs in the machine, thinking that way creates risk and is counterproductive.

You are a big firm now, act like one.

Great company, hard workers, excellent pay

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPay is great, benefits are great, view is great. I had a positive experience working here, came in early when not many employees were there, was nice to have quite time. Was able to leave when all work was done at the end of the day, nobody lays the guilt trip on you when you are done with your work for the day.

ConsLong hours, as with every job sometimes. Not personally, but i know that some teams work from 9am-10pm every night including most weekends. High turnover in in these departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees who are over worked eventually leave. If everybody is working at 100% all of the time there isn't any time to gather your thoughts and relax to let new and innovative thoughts in.

Stifling

Administrative (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe benefits are great, and the pay isn't bad.

ConsYou will never get promoted and your ideas will be ignored. No one in a position to care about your career does anything to help further you along. HR department is unproductive for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to mid management. They are pouring poison on the fruit vine.

An awesome place to work!!

Trainer/Motivational Instructor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork with the most talented people in the talent-laden hedge fund world

ConsSometimes long hours, but they make it worth it!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire me again!!

Liquid Markets Summer Analyst

Capital Formation Group Summer Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearn a lot and get lots of exposure to a variety of markets.
    Small teams and lots of access to VPs and MDs.
    Got to do "real" work as an intern on Wall St... most other summer analysts can't say the same.

ConsCulture is a very aggressive one. If you are not a cultural fit (i.e. very aggressive personality) will not fit into this particular group. However, this group is not representative of other groups at Fotress.

Extreme micromanagement

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsReputable well diversified hedge fund and the pay is pretty good. Working hours are decent, exposure to various credit investments.

ConsPoor management and governance. No autonomy or scope for career growth. Extreme micromanagement and red tape. No appreciation for one's work. No morale boosting.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your team to be responsible enough to complete the given task by the deadline, instead of sending constant annoying reminders and follow ups. Appreciate and recognize good work which boosts morale.

Challenging yet very satisfying at the end!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work environment
    Employees are taken good care of
    Get to learn lot of new technologies,they won't hesitate to put in capital for the applications
    Small IT team hard work is recognized very well, juniors' ideas are also heard.

ConsLess work life balance.
    24/7 critical support applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT teams and applications, more application learning sessions should be conducted so that more departments drop the act of maintaining separate IT teams and come under one roof for better results and savings.

Worked for Fortress Investment Group? Contribute to the Community!