Forward Air

2.6

Bruce A. Campbell

Use and abuse

I have been working at Forward Air

Pros

The only good thing is that there are good loyal dock workers besides all the abuse. They stay besides all the threats of being fired.

Cons

Have in their own laws management cannot curse to employees ,yet cursing is in almost every sentence and employees are constantly getting put down and disrespected. A night supervisor curses out customers and drivers, i wouldn't be surprised if those drivers come back and go postal because of him. Human resource does nothing to help it goes in one ear and out the other

Treat you employees as the human beings and woth respect.

Job has no potential!!!

Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the Benifits and the pay

Cons

The dock manager is a moron.He puts all his family and friends in positions of power.He treats the dockmen like garbage and has no compassion for anything that goes on in someones life!

You both are terrible to work for and should be fired!!!

It was an new and excellent experience

Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Cargo Handler in Irving, TX

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great pay and flexible schedule

Cons

a lot of people didn't do the job assigned to them

Not a good place to work.

Current Employee - Warehouse in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Forward Air part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays weekly, thats hire anyone with a bad background.

Cons

1. Baltimore location is or has fired all americans and want only latins
    2. No way to move up; only hire out siders.
    3. Base your speed off a computer not; the facts of looking for miss routes.

Upper Management need to have college degrees not high school diploma

Excellent work conditions and a great team to be a pert of all being ruined by corporate greed

Current Employee - Dockworker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Dockworker in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Such a great atmosphere Always a positive energy in the air along with a good vibe which makes the work day go so much smoother and its rare to see that in a warehouse environment

Cons

Supervisors are so quick to point out the little things that need improvement, that's because the more important things like load factor and cut off times for certain destinations have never been a problem, and when we ask for a raise they never give us a straight answer. I don't mind going another year without a raise all I'm asking for is an explanation on why raises won't be given this year. We deserve that much at least

In the few years I been working here I've seen a lot of people come and go most of them being the best dockworkers this terminal has ever seen and little by little they keep losing great employees. if corporate approved on decent raises then maybe people will stop quitting. But there to busy buying out there competitors so it must've slipped there mind. Good Job Guys

Morally bankrupt

Former Employee - OpsMgr in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - OpsMgr in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Forward Air full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really, the only aspect I liked at FAS was the handful of decent employees. But, that was the 5%. Definitely not enough to keep me.

Cons

OMG...too many to list. Employee to employee violence. Unsafe conditions. I reported into an employer who does not empower the Management team. I was constantly undermined and never awarded the authority/autonomy to make this a great place to work. We never gave any employees a raise. We dangled FT employment as a carrot to get "more" out of employees but rarely rewarded. Top performers were given more hours, but still at a low pay rate. The supervisory staff were assigned based on "best available option" rather than actually seeking out the most qualified employees. I have never been associated with a Company so morally deplorable. I truly wish I had NEVER accepted this position.

Really, I could give tons of advice. But, FAS is very clear that they are not interested.

Its a perfect balance between life and work

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Forward Air full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible, Understanding, Less work load, Good managers, bonuses

Cons

Small teams, Less growth, Less challenging work

Depends on the day

Former Employee - Dockworker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Dockworker in Houston, TX

I worked at Forward Air full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice people work there who are willing to help. Really cool workers.

Cons

No one from the office seems to actually be out on the dock and see what actually happens. Most people place more freight on the contractor drivers and offer no help to them at all, only a select few people know where the freight is located at, if you need to go to the restroom you need to get a card key to be let out. Everything is scattered throughout the warehouse making it almost impossible to get to sometimes, no palletjacks and only 2 forklifts available to be able to get the drivers freight ready. Barely any room to build pallets. Almost like a maze to get a forklift through all the freight, and waste of time to be on the forklift trying to maneuver through a bunch of obstacles getting to a drivers truck when they have to be out at a certain point and time.

for marketing for limited why not get some kind of basket with wheels on it to put all the big posters and marketing for a specific route in so it's not a mess and everyone knows where the marketing is. Also before you go about getting more companies, make sure you have enough room in the warehouse before you sign the contract.

Dock worker

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Lakeland, FL

I worked at Forward Air part-time (more than an year)

Pros

During peak season, october through december, you will get hours. The harder you work the better the hours.

Cons

Only team leads, and supervisors are hired as full time. No weekly schudle. The day you work you go home and recieve a phone call late at night about what time you will work the following day, if you work the following day. Supervisors will not open all the bay doors for ventilation on days when the tempeature reaches 100 degrees. You go to the bathroom and you need a card key to get back in the security gate but that card is not given to the dock workers. i was employed here for 1 year 9 months and was not given a pay raise.

Give employees a weekly schedule. a card key to enter the security gate and full time hours.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Forward Air as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice people to work with, in the office and on the floor ( warehouse), nice supervisors, understanding, knowledgeable and very helpful

Cons

Unfortunately there's politics at the upper management level, and helped by a biased dispatcher ultimately lead to inequality among contractors, some were unfairly favored.

Treat everybody fairly and don't keep biased employees around, not worth it.