Foster Wheeler

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Foster Wheeler CEO and Director J. Kent Masters

J. Kent Masters

Constant and overwhelming frustration

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
    Reading, England (UK)

ProsLots of talented people on projects.

ConsThose talented people on projects always frustrated and dissatisfied. Corporate management very disconnect from project people and very bureaucratic. Lots of procedures and rules that don't quite work or make sense. Overhead management is about 10 layers, and you are lucky if you get to talk to your immediate line management once in several months; and you have no chance to ever get to meet and talk to managers beyond his level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear upper management: cut your numbers by half and make the company more competitive pn the market. Stop spending all your time in endless corporate meetings and get to know your projects and people who execute those projects. You keep losing talented people because they do not feel valued. Quite on the contrary, most professional, talented and free-spirited people in your company feel they are treated like schoolchildren who always need to be told and disciplined.

Good experience at badly managed company

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee)
    Johannesburg (South Africa)

ProsVery good technical experience gained at the company.

ConsCompany stuck in old ways with no new inovations. Management reluctant to see that employees are unhappy. Midrand office located in a very unpleasant and unsafe location.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with and listen to your people - you sell manhours. Without experienced professional employees, there is no business.

Old Guard Lost the Plot!

Reading, England (UK)

ProsRelaxed, good engineering computer systems, Flexible working hours, so much good hard working individuals trying to give the company a boost. very good FEED projects including Lump sum pricing. good PMC projects

ConsManagement have lost the plot, The old guard are hanging on a straw,too much Gossip. bad relations between departments.poor benefits. We have lost too many excellent processionals due lost confidence in management and management not listening.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would focus to winning new projects, draft every living soul in our proposals group. shake middle management a bit.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a secretary this is the perfect company to be

Senior Management (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe common comment was: It used to be a great company; today it has good ergonomics and offices.

ConsIt is confirmed. Having several conversations with employees at other divisions of the company I received the same comments. Secretaries rule over managers to the point that managers are fired and secretaries stay, the rest is up to your imagination, so on this perspective you can figure out what is the rest of the company. I speak for the Houston operation only, no clue of other offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what are you doing with Sr. Management and the empowered ladies. Some of the long term managers have to much concentrated power that will eventually ruing the company.

Okay

Senior Cost Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood proceedures present in the management database. Collaborative work leading to synergy in efforts were encouraged. Client interaction was promoted.

ConsWay too much gossiping and managemnet listening to opne side of the story only. Vert top down approach of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore senior managemnt efforts should be expended in staff morale boosing and development. More external courses should be approved by management.

Laid off from FW USA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsMoved to a beautiful "green" facility on the west side of Houston, very accessible by freeway. Did their best as far as keeping people active on projects and having something to charge to before the layoffs.

ConsNepotism runs rampant here: hiring inexperienced friends at a higher salary while not bringing salary up to current market rates for more experienced and senior personnel (before the recession). Unfortunately, gossip and bringing personal problems to the work place have also had a negative impact on employee morale here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck to you in the Upstream Market. Improve and spend some money on a more updated and integrated EDMS system and other IT tools.

Good experience, especially for up and coming young professionals.

Validation Engineer (Current Employee)
    New Brunswick, NJ

ProsGreat job opportunities as a contractor.

ConsNo real cons as a contractor

Former great company in America, dedicated to safety and integrity of engineering design and construction

Senior Structural Design/Checker (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsWorking as a team to perform a high quality product for our clients. We always helped each other to qualify for a better understanding of presentation to construction management..

ConsNew management not having the values of older management that originally brought the company to international recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementBottoms up management works great when dealing with field construction people.
    Everything must be clear in presenting engineering drawings that have integrity.

Great people but there were a lot of politics

ProsGreat people
    Lots of expertise
    Fun projects

ConsWay too much red tape
    Office Space like with TPS reports

My experience was good, knowledgeable, a great company to work for.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsProposal Department was busy department, challenging able, my trainee was very trained and very professional.

ConsThe hours for working in the proposal hard, they expected you to work long hours and weekend too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to stop playing games with employees and be honest with employees. Help employees, care about the employees, stand behind your employees, but most of all respect your employees

Worked for Foster Wheeler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Foster Wheeler reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Foster Wheeler CEO J. Kent Masters. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Foster Wheeler employees.