Foster Wheeler

Foster Wheeler Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Foster Wheeler CEO and Director J. Kent Masters

J. Kent Masters

Good experience at badly managed company

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Foster Wheeler as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsVery good technical experience gained at the company.

ConsCompany stuck in old ways with no new inovations. Management reluctant to see that employees are unhappy. Midrand office located in a very unpleasant and unsafe location.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with and listen to your people - you sell manhours. Without experienced professional employees, there is no business.

Old Guard Lost the Plot!

Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRelaxed, good engineering computer systems, Flexible working hours, so much good hard working individuals trying to give the company a boost. very good FEED projects including Lump sum pricing. good PMC projects

ConsManagement have lost the plot, The old guard are hanging on a straw,too much Gossip. bad relations between departments.poor benefits. We have lost too many excellent processionals due lost confidence in management and management not listening.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would focus to winning new projects, draft every living soul in our proposals group. shake middle management a bit.

If you are a secretary this is the perfect company to be

Senior Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler

ProsThe common comment was: It used to be a great company; today it has good ergonomics and offices.

ConsIt is confirmed. Having several conversations with employees at other divisions of the company I received the same comments. Secretaries rule over managers to the point that managers are fired and secretaries stay, the rest is up to your imagination, so on this perspective you can figure out what is the rest of the company. I speak for the Houston operation only, no clue of other offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what are you doing with Sr. Management and the empowered ladies. Some of the long term managers have to much concentrated power that will eventually ruing the company.

Okay

Senior Cost Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler

ProsGood proceedures present in the management database. Collaborative work leading to synergy in efforts were encouraged. Client interaction was promoted.

ConsWay too much gossiping and managemnet listening to opne side of the story only. Vert top down approach of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore senior managemnt efforts should be expended in staff morale boosing and development. More external courses should be approved by management.

Laid off from FW USA

I worked at Foster Wheeler

ProsMoved to a beautiful "green" facility on the west side of Houston, very accessible by freeway. Did their best as far as keeping people active on projects and having something to charge to before the layoffs.

ConsNepotism runs rampant here: hiring inexperienced friends at a higher salary while not bringing salary up to current market rates for more experienced and senior personnel (before the recession). Unfortunately, gossip and bringing personal problems to the work place have also had a negative impact on employee morale here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck to you in the Upstream Market. Improve and spend some money on a more updated and integrated EDMS system and other IT tools.

My experience was good, knowledgeable, a great company to work for.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

ProsProposal Department was busy department, challenging able, my trainee was very trained and very professional.

ConsThe hours for working in the proposal hard, they expected you to work long hours and weekend too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement need to stop playing games with employees and be honest with employees. Help employees, care about the employees, stand behind your employees, but most of all respect your employees

Very Mediocre company.

Project Controls Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere isn't a real incentive to target this company unless you are unemployed.

ConsThere isn't a real incentive to target this company unless you are unemployed. This company isn't a world class company yet. They want to be but they haven't made it as yet. Upper management has turned over a number of times in the past few years, leaving you with an unstable feel. The recent buyout by AMEC contributes to this feeling also.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead "Cons" closely.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Do not stay there for long if you have better opportunities.

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery good place for a fresh graduate engineer to start works with. The health benefits and retirement plans are excellent.

ConsThe HR people are an not very helpful for international employees. The management has very strict policy on matters like internet browsing, check-in times etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe managment should be more encouraging to empower employees according to their talent and interests.

Decent

I worked at Foster Wheeler

Prosbrilliant engineers, nice office space, few quantity of great leader in management positions

Conscontruction department is a disaster, incompetent manager. Tedious procedures

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more young leader in management positions, with energy, hungry to learn, that are bright, great coordinators and humble. Point is- no one ever knows everything about this industry, seems like this industry has the wrong idea of what leadership role should be, great manager are not the ones with the most experience, eloquence or the olders, but those that area great listeners and brilliant coordinator that have great interpersonal skill and positive attitudes.. Team will be more productive, great project atmosphere and healthy successful project.

Many brilliant, hard working, young engineer leader have been run off from this company due to incompetent manager.

Positive

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

ProsProject work pays well if you negotiate

ConsSome promises not kept so keep your eyes open at all times

Worked for Foster Wheeler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Foster Wheeler reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Foster Wheeler CEO J. Kent Masters. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Foster Wheeler employees.