Foster Wheeler

Updated November 8, 2014
3.1

Foster Wheeler CEO and Director J. Kent Masters
J. Kent Masters

Pros
  • 9/80 work schedule allowed for a good amount of time off (in 5 reviews)

• Nice office (Houston headquarters), some nice people there, very good benefits (medical etc) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Salary is favourable, but employee benefits require improvements, in particular annual leave days and medical benefits (in 3 reviews)

• Too many bosses, crazy hierarchy and high turnover of senior management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good mid-sized engineering firm, decent internship

Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Foster Wheeler as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people working here are really good at what they do (process engineering) and I learned a lot about engineering that I hadn't been exposed to in school.
    For my assignments, I was relatively free to explore solutions as I wished.

Cons

Spent my entire internship in the office, very little field work opportunity.
    Very much the stereotypical cubical offices, and not even the good open plan cubes, got a little mundane after a while.
    Feel like the experienced engineers were very good at very specific technical fields, and might be "pigeon holed" if I was to continue there.

Good company for process engineer

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, opportunities for young engineer. stable workforce.

Cons

got monitored in/out office, too strict on office time

need diversify the technology, not only focus on coker

Houston Office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

9/80 work schedule allowed for a good amount of time off. 3 weeks PTO for new hires. Good 401K and medical insurance programs. The building and furniture are above average.

Cons

Upper management likes to micro-manage and monitor its employees. They ask for opinions from their employees, but they don't seem to want to implement any change related to employee satisfaction. When the previous CEO left for another office, bonuses and incentives diminished or disappeared. It's pretty difficult to get recognized for your achievements or hard work at this company. It's also hard to advance in the company unless you are buddy-buddy with someone with power and influence in the company.

Listen to your employees, and try to trust them to be honest on their own.

Tired operational staff that became lazy because of poor and constantly revolving management.

Current Employee - Prefer Not to State in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to State in Houston, TX

I have been working at Foster Wheeler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is decently competitive and their 401k matching is comparable to a state worker's TRS.
    9/hour workdays with every other Friday off

Cons

To really know FW requires knowing the history from various other workers. Many workers are fairly new due to turnover and the boom and bust of unstable business due to projects. Management seems to care most about upstream divisions, but has poor attention and does not assist in departments outside of engineering. The guidance from the corporate HQ office is poor and there is a severe lack of operational maturity. FW loses business to competition due to poor planning and effective monitoring of operations. Various departments outside of engineering have many high-level managers and directors with poor and lazy attitudes. Many of them are just not used to having to be competent at their professions like FW's competition. Had I known the entire history and been able to interview with others outside the department hiring manager; I would've never come here.

Implement TCO mentality from top down and provide global guidance to offices in a singular effort. What good is upstream without staff to properly support them?

Didn't enjoy my time there

Former Employee - Accountant in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Accountant in Livingston, NJ

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

A company that works in low margin industries can't be generous to their employees. Terrible raises, delayed raises, 4 in 5 years, etc. Suggest working for a company that makes a lot of money. They can treat their employees better. This is a while back, put I doubt much has changed.

None

A Good Place To Work

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Foster Wheeler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great to place to learn and develop.

Cons

My ability to learn and grow was limited because the company is not diversified.

Expand the types of jobs to included chemical and other refining processes.

If you are a secretary this is the perfect company to be

Former Employee - Senior Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Houston, TX

I worked at Foster Wheeler

Pros

The common comment was: It used to be a great company; today it has good ergonomics and offices.

Cons

It is confirmed. Having several conversations with employees at other divisions of the company I received the same comments. Secretaries rule over managers to the point that managers are fired and secretaries stay, the rest is up to your imagination, so on this perspective you can figure out what is the rest of the company. I speak for the Houston operation only, no clue of other offices.

Pay attention to what are you doing with Sr. Management and the empowered ladies. Some of the long term managers have to much concentrated power that will eventually ruing the company.

Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Foster Wheeler

Pros

Coworkers are talented and good people to work with.

Cons

Lost confidence in executive management's leadership and integrity.

Not much career opportunity.

Current Employee - Project Managerngineer Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Managerngineer Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Foster Wheeler

Pros

Get touch of different projects

Cons

Technically there si room to improve

Get more skilled enginner

my experiense with foster wheeler has lead me to believe in myself at a different level, my exspectations are greater.

Current Employee - Combo, Welder/Foreman in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Combo, Welder/Foreman in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Foster Wheeler

Pros

Quality from experience from different crafts coming together to do a project is as smooth as butter.
    productivity from comittment is a powerful goal for the hard workers on site.
    The respect that people give to one another for safety for us and our families.
    The kindness of each other to at least be a some what family through the others of the day we got to spend together.

Cons

dont really hav a down , only because i worked for other companies before and never really had such a respect for any company such as this one.

maybe, the lack of communication when one is tryin to tell the reasons of missing work or maybe late. Being a female, and a mother, my responsibilty as a parent is kids first... their education their health, ect. dnt shut us out cuz were trying to explain.

Foster Wheeler Photos