Found Animals Foundation

2.0

CEO

Exhilarating and Disappointing

I have been working at Found Animals Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Although still relatively small, Found Animals is truly a place where animal lovers of all facets gather to discuss and contribute to resolving problems with the shelter system in America today. Money is no object so the company is not fueled with a mindset of: "how can we make more money." In other words, every branch of the company focuses on different reasons animals enter shelters in the first place by providing free public educational blogs/seminars/articles, low cost spay/neutering, free microchip registering, free/low cost microchips, training, volunteering, etc! And best of all, Found Animals has also created adoption locations of its own that directly combat animal shelter euthanasia by pulling animals straight from local high-intake shelters and giving them a chance to find a home without the threat of euthanasia looming over their heads!

Cons

Found Animals is truly a gathering of skilled workers who are passionate about how they want to change the world...but each member's skills and background differ vastly from one another. Although this is part of the reason the company is so extraordinary, it also leads to a scattered sense of self and overall direction. Being such a tiny overall organization, each branch is held up by only a few members who have specialized knowledge to bring to that particular field of operations. How can a company with so many branches and directions control the growth and success of each branch without a great understanding of each area's specific purpose, goal and needs? And with such vastly differing branches (Retail, Marketing, Animal Care, Shelter Networking/Operations, etc, etc, etc.) who can oversee and manage every facet so that each branch not only succeeds, but continues to thoroughly understand and tackle each new contributing factor in animal euthanasia? The answer is, well, no one... at least not yet.

Truly successful management is being able to recognize how the whole will not be successful without every piece of the puzzle working together towards the same goal aka the "lowest" positions in the company have just as much to add as the CEO. Management of all areas in a company requires caring about and understanding each area and what it has to contribute to the whole as well as what that area needs in order to do that "specialized" job. The person who cleans the toilet and sweeps the floors is there because someone needs to do that job. If that person is not monitored and given the equipment necessary to do their job then the job will not get done properly. Likewise, just looking at the floor and wondering why it's not clean does not affect whether or not that job is done properly. Neither does threatening to replace that worker since the real problem was never addressed; "why was the janitor able to clean the floor?" Therefore, it is going down to the janitor, understanding his goals and needs then making sure he has the right equipment to do the job that is true management. Found Animals needs to either break off into different specialized branches or be overseen by someone who understand how every branch contributes to the overall fight against unnecessary animal euthanasia.

Currently the Adopt & Shop branches are struggling under misdirection/mismanagement. Although they are still saving animals by finding new wonderful people to be their forever families, many of the obstacles they are facing on the front lines are not being addressed such as staffing and best practices for adoptable animal housing, training, and medical care. There also seems to be vastly different ideas of what that branch should be and how it should operate. Is it a boutique store or a shelter rescue venue? Is it expensive and exclusive or inexpensive and inclusive? Does it only take in perfectly healthy, trained, beautiful animals or real animals?

My advise to upper management is more of a desperate request: Please do not waste the efforts of those on the front lines, the ones making the connections with the public and the ones taking care of these amazing yet imperfect animals. Please keep yourself open to the real goal and that is saving as many of those animals as possible. Please refocus your expectations towards addressing real problems and real solutions. No animal is perfect and no family is perfect yet with policies and practices geared towards making each person and animal more perfect for each other truly amazing things can be done!

False Front

I have been working at Found Animals Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is easy, the staff. They are hard working, committed and just a great bunch of people. I actually feel sorry for them since their efforts will never be fully appreciated.

Cons

This is also easy, the management team. The management team is so horrifyingly bad it's hard to know where to start. It could be at the top with painfully insecure Director. Or with her right and left hand, who would rather agree with bad decisions, barely work and pick up a nice paycheck week after week.

This advice is to the funder of Found Animals. Found Animals is an incredibly fortunate organization with tremendous potential thanks to your backing and the number of dedicated staff. Replace the three-headed monster running the organization and watch Found Animals soar. The staff, community and animals will thank you!

They may love animals, but not humans.

I worked at Found Animals Foundation full-time

Pros

Found Animals provides pretty good salary and benefits in comparison to other nonprofits. There are lots of perks too like company lunches and nice offices. Obviously, the mission of helping animals is rewarding though there are lots of animal welfare organizations out there doing a lot more, with a lot less.

Cons

If you want to work 60-80 hour weeks on a regular basis with very little acknowledgement, this is the place for you. If you want to be fired for ridiculous reasons, without warning, and after an insane amount of effort and time put in, you should work here. No one is on the same page about their store operations and it seems their newest location is still not open, almost a year later than announced. The CEO has a superiority/insecurity complex that you don't want to cross, disagree with or challenge. The entire culture is incredibly toxic. Some really nice people there but also some truly horrible ones without a conscience.

My experience: exhausting, unorganized, and disappointing.

I worked at Found Animals Foundation (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for any non-profit animal foundation is saving the furry faces. The people you work beside with are full of knowledge and hardworking people.

Everyone I worked with had wonderful hearts and were incredible! The volunteers were amazing!

Cons

The cons for working for this foundation is no one is working as a cohesive team. Upper management seems to have their own agenda and wants.

The Adopt & Shop branches are a one of kind idea, but are poorly run. Management ultimately does not have everything together. Staff goes beyond and above to meet goals. The Adopt & Shop: Mission Viejo store was poorly handled. The store should have never opened. Staff was over worked/understaffed, no leadership, and no protocol or procedures intact. Essentially everyone that worked there were deer in headlights. Upper Management had no idea Mission Viejo was struggling. That is just mind blowing.

The staff was never really appreciated the way they should have been for doing amounts of overtime and coming in on time off and missing multiple lunches to run the store.

One of the big things I learned about working here is this foundation put a mask on and when you took it off it was terrifying. In the sense that when you look behind the curtain it's a whole different story. It gave me a real sense of what "non-profit" means.

If you [FAF] keep up with same patterns you have and had with Adopt & Shop: Mission Viejo. Then, Culver City will go down the same road. Pull your act together and focus on saving the animals and making this concept work, because it can if everyone is on the same page. The goal for the animals needs to be defined again. What is the goal to break even or save animals?

I've never been a part of a company that fired so many people or had so many people quit. It seems to me they are trying to weed out the people who are holding them back, but how does this move them forward? It seems to have hindered this foundation more than anything. I've learned this foundation let go of someone recently who should have been on the spot when staff told the CEO and Humane Resources about the person. However, I think the tables should be turned on the CEO as well. Through all the faults on the Adopt & Shop branches it was all "over seen" or "signed off" by the CEO. . .

Management needs to work on a more welcoming approach. And less of an intimidating one. We are all here for one purpose to help out together. I never personally met the CEO even though the CEO came into the MV store multiple times I was never greeted by the CEO or even acknowledged. To me the CEO was no one, really. Just someone we had to impress with a big title.

Great cause. Attracts great people. Does a great job at losing them.

I have been working at Found Animals Foundation

Pros

Found Animals offers a pet-friendly environment. The office is great for owners who would like their animals on-hand, or for those who are unable to have pets at home, but would still like dogs and cats in their lives. Lowering euthanasia is a very worthy cause. You will sleep well knowing you are doing good in the world. You will also get to know some incredibly talented people with a wide range of skills, as the foundation attracts animal lovers from diverse professional backgrounds, most of whom share a common goal. Additionally, in good times, there is a steady stream of new and interesting work to keep things fresh. You will never be bored.

Cons

Most everyone from the director level down is intimidated or disrespected by the executives. Despite hiring excellent people, it seems that the C-suites have very little confidence in employees (even when those employees have more specialized knowledge and experience in the area being discussed than they do, or have been with the organization for years). Priorities change with the wind, so be prepared to spend thousands of dollars pursuing new initiatives that everyone's pretty sure won't work to begin with... by the time the staff consensus is proven right, it's irrelevant because those at the top have lost interest. Meanwhile, other programs will be scrounging for funding to meet basic departmental needs. When high-level positions become available, internal promotion seems to be considered only as a last resort. High staff turnover may reflect the fact that most employees do not consider the foundation a long-term career option (you will hear that frequently from coworkers with all lengths of service, especially those below the director level, who do not feel that there is any advancement option available to them).

Hiring and training a skilled employee is much more expensive than retaining one. Free food and massages cannot improve morale when staff members come out of meetings asking if they should 'pack up their desk' or 'leave before they are fired,' (often heard by multiple people on the same day, for different reasons), or have been yelled at or talked down to in front of their colleagues. Please make a real effort to treat employees more respectfully, trust their judgement, and offer concrete incentives for performance to keep good hires committed to the foundation. I really love Found Animals and want to see us succeed.

Revolving door is right.

I worked at Found Animals Foundation full-time

Pros

It's a pretty nice working environment with a lot of free food. Many of the employees are very nice and most are good at what they do. Great to feel like you're really making a difference in the lives of animals.

Cons

Like the other reviewer said, they attract quality employees but have little faith or loyalty to them. Before I got the job, I was warned that people come and go very often and suddenly there but I didn't listen. I was also told that by more people once I started. I didn't worry about it because I have always gotten excellent feedback on my job performance from previous employers, including this one. Literally up until the day I was let go. I did good work and put in lots of extra hours but I guess it was never appreciated. Everything else the other reviewer mentioned is true as well, from what I saw.

Culturally appealing, real life nightmare!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Found Animals Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do have great benefits provided to the employees, along with some social activities that work towards creating a more cohesive work environment, but fail due to top management belittling the entire workforce.

Cons

They always say that employee morale starts from the top, there is no exception in this case. Top management constantly puts down other managers and employees publicly, without any particular knowledge or understanding of what they are referencing. I constantly hear from other peers in the organization how much they love what this organization is doing, but it is the negativity exerted from the top that makes this a disheartening place to work.

Be prepared to sit in the "safe box" with the executive director for the first 6 months, after that, be prepared to defend yourself on every decision made, right or wrong.

Found Animals Cares as it Innovates

Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Found Animals Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Found Animals Foundation is an amazing place to work. With a staff comprised of everyone from animal welfare volunteers to executives with MBAs, the non-profit is incredibly diverse. Benefits are great and much more comprehensive than most for-profit companies. The best thing about Found Animals is that everyone in the organization has a deep love of animals, and we all work towards a single objective of increasing shelter pet adoption rates to reduce euthanasia.

Cons

There's always too much to do when working for animal welfare.

Stay confident that you're on the right track.

Found Animals Foundation Photos

Juno the model
The first Adopt and Shop location in Lakewood
A typical day at the office

+ Add Photo