Foundation 9 Entertainment

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
2.8

James North-Hearn

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at Foundation 9 Entertainment (more than 5 years)

Pros

staff is managed like true professionals, no one breathing down your neck

Cons

no cons to share presently

continue the good work

Low pay and poor management

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Framingham, MA

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got to work on fun projects, including console games. I met a ton of smart people. My manager was a smart and hardworking person.

Cons

Low pay and long hours, especially having come from outside the game industry (though both are common in the industry). Upper management seemed out of touch with lower management and employees.

Plan projects better to reduce the need for crunch time.

A decent company that didn't pay well

Former Employee - Lead Developer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company was growing at the time I was present there. Multiple studios meant that there was growth opportunity. Large for an independent gaming company. Variety of opportunities across different platforms.

Cons

Company has gone downhill since 2008, shutting down studios and going through numerous senior leadership changes. Seems like the company was a response to the gaming boom of the mid-2000s

An apple a day...

Apply at your own risk.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Locale
     - Short commute, light on traffic.
     - Outdoorsy locale with the coast being only a 2 hr drive away.
     - Bars/night clubs just around the corner!
     - College town - Go Ducks!
    2) Co-workers
     - Dedicated and talented. Reliable and generally honest folk with a few exceptions.

Cons

1) Job/career security
     - Turn over epidemic. Once upon a time the pamphlet could brag about a low turn over rate; no more. You know it's bad when just about every legacy worker has left or been cut.
     - Local competitors can all be counted on one hand; bad area for job hopping.
     - Projects dwindling steadily over time.
    2) Locale
     - Downtown could do without the homeless addict culture. Very offensive and often unsanitary behavior occurs on a regular basis from the, 'local wild life.'
    3) MGT/Corporate/HR
     - Slow to act - Staffing up, tooling up, trimming fat (as opposed to muscle) etc.
     - Whistle blowing is the fastest way to get a pink slip. Especially if concerning a superior.
     - Passive aggressive leadership in the guise of, "professionalism."

Nuke and pave, baby.

Missed the boat on mobile gaming

Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Fun culture. Great talent

Cons

Limited career growth potential and opportunities

Focus on mobile gaming now

Not somewhere to aspire to go work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of work that can be done independently.

Cons

Poor morale and working conditions.
    Less freedom of choice than one thinks.
    Lack of creative vision

Foundation 3

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Fellow developers I met during my career were some of the most fantastic and talented people I have ever known.
    - Encouraged me to change careers entirely

Cons

- Stability. Foundation 9's name was due to being comprised with nine separate studios for stability and partnership. Instead other studios became liabilities threatening to drag everyone down with them so they were closed or sold. Three of the original nine studios remain as of today, thus my review's title.
    - Morale issues due to petty managers and basically what the other reviews said.

- When the doors close for everyone, and they will, I suggest switching careers. Or at least apply somewhere far away. Those under you who have moved on to better studios have remembered you and they will be asked by their new bosses if your resumes come across their desk. Do you think you will get a recommendation?

So much work for nothing

Former Employee - Artist in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the Emeryville Studio we had such creative and talented people. Good problem solving, collaborative support, creative work, great locations, and fantastic food nearby.

Cons

Our tools for production were changed to a set from a partner company rather than updating our own tools that we knew and worked. At least half of the projects I worked on were never completed. Other studios closed entirely while we lost good staff here and there, and the replacements were mostly in India. Eventually you'd be working with half your team on the other side of the planet (not a good business model for collaboration and interdisciplinary support). The overseas staff was not the problem, it was the decision to push work there too quickly and with no integration. Those who voiced a concern were the next ones laid off. Production employees were laid off left and right, while management kept saying we'd turned the corner. For a long time, the greatest source of morale was surviving another lay-offs. HR department let go in favor of sharing HR with other companies, who then ignored us.

Change your career. Management is not your calling. Your decisions affect the lives of real people who dedicated themselves to supporting your course, and firing good employees who voice polite disagreement only validates their views and kills morale.

Good while it lasted, but this house of cards gets shorter by the day.

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Highly creative and professional talent pool. You guys all rock (you know who you are). I would suggest the remnants of the closed studios entertain the idea of banding together for some Kickstarter projects and crank out some awesome indie games!
    - Excellent networking opportunity - because I met so many skilled people who have gone off to greener pastures, I have people recommending my pals and I around the world. It's a great feeling when the industry as a whole is doing so poorly at the moment.

The reason I am not giving a 1-star is because of the amazing individuals I met during my time there, short as it may have been.

Cons

- Poor stability - studio closures under F9E left and right, only a matter of time before absolute closures. It should be noted that with the latest closures, they have only closed American studios down and have kept their overseas divisions open; quite a the salt in the wound for all those who worked tirelessly for their companies.
    - Generally inept management - As another mentioned, management was all over the map. This is not an isolated problem and many of my friends from other studios under F9 have all told me the same thing. "Fake-it-till-you-make-it," types were in charge (and protected) more often than not.

Please consider a career change when it is your turn to get the pink slip. Without the threat of those who had mismanaged us into the ground, the games industry as a whole will thrive when those who actually care about fun games and innovation are the sole survivors.

Cool place to work

I worked at Foundation 9 Entertainment

Pros

Some of the most talented people in the East Bay are working here. The space in Emeryville is beautiful.

Cons

Mostly working on licensed IPs, so creativity feels a bit limited. Getting there via public transit can be tricky because of lack of BART access.