Four Seasons

Updated October 17, 2014
3.7

Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith

Pros
  • there perks that the company give you such as nights away in any four seasons hotel around the world is mind blowing (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, employee purchasing of hotel amenities and comp nights to all hotels (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a little "off" depending on what department you work in (in 25 reviews)

• The very high standards that must be kept, the very long hours and working with many people at once (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

Good work environment. Beautiful office building with catering on site.

Cons

Need an office in downtown Toronto. Location is in the middle of no where.

Great company for people who want to grow in Hospitality

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training, good benefits, good tips

Cons

working extra hours for free, no time for break,

need to relax a bit

I was second shift supervisor, I trained and oversaw three to four people at a time

Former Employee - Security Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Security Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for a top brand, high customer service and able to enjoy free nights at the company around the world.

Cons

One challenge that I encounter was the training was uniform in security. So everyone did not have the same skill set.

To ensure all employees can carry out their work duties and not play favorites.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Guest Services in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, employee cafeteria, uniforms are laundered and provided and generally a great work environment. They really make the employees feel wanted and retain a great number. I really enjoyed working there.

Cons

The reason that I left was the hours. I was never on a regular schedule, some weeks I would work 3 different shifts in the same week. For instance on a Monday I may work 7AM - 3PM, Tuesday 3PM - 11PM, Wednesday 3PM - 11PM, Off Thursday, Friday 11PM - 7AM, Sat 11PM - 7AM, Sunday off. It just was really hard to deal with the sleep deprivation. The other con would be working weekends, nights and every holiday. It get's old when you can't spend time at the holiday's with your family.

When you hire Managers fresh out of college, their heads tend to swell really big, really fast. Keep them humble by letting them work in the trenches a lot more during their first years with the company.

Empty promises with a side of brainwashing

Former Employee - ResComm Agent in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - ResComm Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location in Austin, prestige of brand, on-site employee cafeteria, uniforms provided and laundered on-site.

Cons

>Location = No parking options or you can pay to park in the hotel's parking garage.
    >Cafeteria can be a plus, however, you are only allowed 30 minutes for lunch and you can be called back to the floor at any time.
    >Uniforms provided can be great, but often someone else has claimed yours on accident or your uniform is not washed on time for shift and often it smells like 50 different people's BO because its been in a pile of 50 other dirty uniforms.
    >The ability to grow is based almost completely on politics. If you are friends with the right managers you will be moved up.
    >Management are ineffectual and apathetic. They have no ability to facilitate change or motivate their employees.
    >All line staff employees are underpaid. It is painful to see where the money goes instead. (e.g. going away parties for staff moving to other hotels)
    >Work life balance is non-existent
    >Most of the employees hate working there.
    >There doesn't ever seem to be a cohesive message from management.

Get the heck out of the hospitality industry, you all obviously hate it so much! Invest in your employees. Working in a place where you don't feel valued as an employee leads to constant turnover and a reduced experience for the guests.

Great company with great benefits

Current Employee - Server in Kailua Kona, HI
    Current Employee - Server in Kailua Kona, HI

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It offers great pay, exceptional human resources, and even better benefits. Everyone is welcoming.

Cons

There aren't too many cons. Hours can be long, but management is willing to work with your schedule.

Abused, used, and overworked

Former Employee - Pbx in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pbx in Houston, TX

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comp nights are part of the benefit package

Cons

Used, abused and overworked. They give you duties that are not part f your job function and do not pay you for it.

Great Canadian Company with a great culture.

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Four Seasons Provides great training, and has really good benefits, and a great sense of community involvement. It also has a very good company culture.

Cons

Low pay for the number of hours worked and volume of work to be completed. Bottom line of the company is profit, and since the third party owners decide where the money is to be spent, it's hard to be motivated to do well in your own role and department, when it's clear they only care about the guests in the end. Not enough resources available as the property is very tightly budgeted, and it's hard to get the job done. In the end, the lower salary unfortunately outweighs all the pros.

Great place to work, but long hours

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Boston, MA

I worked at Four Seasons as a contractor

Pros

Everyone, from senior management to valet, is friendly and treats you like family. Lots of regulars so receiving tips is common, especially during festive seasons. Lots of fun and excitement during state events like Baseball World Championships - even guests who come in join in the fun atmosphere. Free laundry.

Cons

long hours and can usually expect to work overtime. schedule is given every wednesday (sometimes thursday) so it's difficult to plan your weekend in advance. since it's shift work, work-life balance becomes an issue. Staff cafeteria food offerings.

Improve staff cafeteria food. Also give new staff proper training because it'll affect image and reputation and business.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

FS really focusses on their people and strives to take care of their employees. Great benefits including health, dental, vision, free uniforms, free meals, complimentary nights, etc. Their focus is completely quality driven and strives to deliver the best service to the customer. They go to great lengths to ensure customer satisfaction and highest quality. Truly 5 star!

Cons

I was part of the senior management team and saw the sausage making process. The atmosphere is pretty brutal when it comes to management. We worked endless hours, sometimes 6 days a week. People get pushed to their breaking point! Too many meetings so you are taken away from what you really should be doing... taking care of the customer. I dealt with a few members of the Executive team who could not be trusted. I am a very straight forward person and did not care for the games they played so I decided to leave, which proved to be a great decision. My life has taken a turn for the better after FS but I also did learn a lot (good and bad) during my 8+ years there!

Executive management is straying away from the core philosophies that the company was founded on. Treat people like people and not pawns on a game of chess!

Four Seasons Photos