Four Seasons Reviews

304 reviews filtered by

Fantastic Company with Few Flaws

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros definitely include working with some of the most wonderful, talented people. The application and hiring process is very extensive, so only the best are hired and it shows. Everyone takes pride in their work and the company, and this is reflected to the guests who stay at the Four Seasons. The pay is competitive and benefits are pretty wonderful. If you are looking for a company that you want to set roots with, this is it... and it shows. Numerous people at my property have been there since it opened. Honestly, I love working here. I have worked for other hotel brands and this company goes above and beyond for their employees and guests.

Cons

My biggest frustration is that there is no room for growth. In my specific department, an employee isn't able to move up without someone leaving. Unless you are able/willing to relocate, the opportunities are scarce. There may be added responsibility, but the title and pay do not reflect that. Also, the guests can be some of the worst people to be around. Four Seasons (and most luxury hotels) create an environment where the word 'no' is never an option. With this in mind, demands and exceptions to the rule are seen multiple times everyday. As odd as it sounds, it is exhausting and taxing to ones spirit after a while. Especially during the holidays - those 6-day work weeks and long hours are bad enough, but throw pretentious/entitled guests demands into the mix and life can get pretty rough quickly.

Create more opportunities for growth for employees - especially in the back of the house.

Great company culture with high standards for customer service.

Former Employee - Director of Sales
    Former Employee - Director of Sales

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is great to work for the best hotel company. Employees have tremendous pride and guests and clients love the brand. There is strong potential to advance in your career if you are willing to move. There are significant opportunities to work abroad. It is a very diverse workforce. Management cares for employees, listens to new ideas and implements many employee suggestions. The company requires very high performance standards to meet guest expectations.

Cons

Career advancement is slow because individuals do not leave their positions very often. You often need to move to another city or country to advance.

3. Great company and culture. No work-life balance.

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Four Seasons

Pros

Prestigious global brand. Great company culture. Senior management and executives are pros. Focus on training. A lot of exciting growth in the company. Ability to travel to other hotels with comp nights. Networking opportunities. Benefits - Health insurance, 401k.

Cons

No work-life balance. Crushing work load makes it hard to feel successful. Increasing focus on bottom line puts strain on middle management. Inundated with performance metrics that can be overwhelming. Most growth is international resulting in relatively limited domestic advancement opportunities.

5. Great internship program

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

Lots of rotation to be able to see al departments of the hotel. Really felt like the management cared about you. It was a true Four Seasons experience

Cons

I wish they had provided some more projects for interns to work on. We worked hard and learned a lot about the service industry, but it would have been great to get some more real life projects to work on with management.

6. Only draw back is work life balance

I have been working at Four Seasons

Pros

Great salary, benefits, and place to learn/grow from

Cons

Terrible work life balance - you're always stuck at the property

7. Great Company

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

Benefits, work environment, learning opportunity, coworkers

Cons

Long hours, no work-life balance, expected to be there all the time

8. Dietary Aid

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Clarks Summit, PA
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Clarks Summit, PA

I have been working at Four Seasons

Pros

Working for elderly is very rewarding. They are always kind, even though they tend to complain often

Cons

We weren't allowed to accept tips and like I mentioned the residents tended to complain quite often. But the food was great

9. The pay is competitive, but you are worked into the ground for it

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Irving, TX

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

It is a great company to have on your resume. The pay is higher than comparable hotels, for example the hostess of the restaurant averages 13-15 dollars an hour. You get comp rooms to any Four Seasons in the world, 401k, and all around decent benefits.

Cons

Good luck trying to ever take vacation. After two years of working here I was only approved for 4 days off consecutively. Asking for vacation is a constant battle, so much that I never was able to use any comp rooms during my entire employment. Mid-level management gets so much pressure from upper-level management, and it trickles down to line employees, which is usually not handled correctly. The upper management could not care less about the opinions and thoughts of the staff. In the two years that I worked there I was not once asked my opinion on any of the changes that were made to our department. To make matters worse, when I had substantial concerns, those were also ignored, and the employee survey was essentially pointless. We had meetings every couple of months called "direct line" where the staff were welcomed to meet with the GM to express concerns and opinions on their department. I went month after month bringing up the same concern, and never once was any effort made to remedy our issues.

The work life balance is the worst I have seen. I can not count how many times I was scheduled to close, and then open early in the morning the next day, often leaving only 5 hours for sleep. This is not any different for mid-level managers who often face the same issue.

Pay more attention to your staff. If you focus more on work-life balance, turn over will not be so high.

10. Four Seasons Intern

I worked at Four Seasons

Pros

Great learning environment. Management seemed like they cared.

Cons

There are none that I can think of.

Great Hiring

Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The rigorous interview process results in a really solid group of well-meaning employees in most departments. Compensation was competitive with similar positions in the industry and the benefits package was quite nice too. Also, the opportunity to interact with hundreds of people on any given day is a great way to build social skills and learn more about how people operate. Room for growth exists, as long as one is willing to transfer to other properties.

Cons

Lower level management gets worked too hard resulting in a high level of stress on them, which at times can affect work conditions for line staff. This overworking, coupled with relatively low pay serves as a disincentive to move up in the company.

Look for the "silent stars" in operations, there are some really great, hard-working individuals whose efforts tend to be overlooked.

Four Seasons Photos