Four Seasons

Updated November 21, 2014
3.7

Four Seasons CEO Allen Smith
Allen Smith

Pros
  • Great benefits, employee purchasing of hotel amenities and comp nights to all hotels (in 22 reviews)

• there perks that the company give you such as nights away in any four seasons hotel around the world is mind blowing (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be a little "off" depending on what department you work in (in 25 reviews)

• The very high standards that must be kept, the very long hours and working with many people at once (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Behind the Façade

I worked at Four Seasons full-time

Pros

Benefits: free hotel stays (to many black-out dates though lucky to get in if you are not connected). Free lunch hoilday party, social events

Cons

Afraid of the threat of organizing. Superficial in their praise to their hourly employees yet, managers are pushed to document and terminate for the most simple and at times fabricated infraction .If you are in middle or entry management, work/life balance like no other place, too many hours. work-life balance sucks. I'm being as real as it gets- you wont even have time to go to the doctors. Look for a more honest company with honest values . if you are are looking for employement- take my advice and go work for the Ritz Carlton or Marriott Fairmont Hyatt. You will be promoted if click with the GM and willing to pack your bag and move every 2 years all around the world competence is required

Your Golden rule is a is ironic.You use people and apply none of the values you pretend to have.

Previous Front Office Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Front Office Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Front Office Manager

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love the company as a whole. Issy Sharp has built up a fantastic company but things have changed a lot over the years.

Worked with some amazing People who are like family and friends for life.

Cons

Managers are expected to work 10-14 hour days. The Work Life Balance stinks.

Asst Mgrs do the majority of the work for half the pay of Dept Heads. Upper Mgmt does not take responsibility for their mistakes, they blame it on middle mgmt.

Pay is not conducive to the hours worked. During peak seasons line staff make more money then managers as they get paid OT.

Take the time to get to know all your managers. Take advantages of their strengths and help them to work on their weaknesses. There is a lot of lip service and not enough action from upper mgmt. Get out from behind your desk and get to know guests and not just what you learn from your middle managers.

Promotions need to be performances and experienced based not based on people who will do as you say not as you do. Upper Mgmt should not just promote people who will be there puppets.

Upper Mgmt need to lead by example!!!

Great company! Excellent benefits

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate culture. Great training and benefits inclue free comp nights and 50% off F&B. Also, free food in the cafeteria.

Cons

Promotions - helps to know higher ups/exec. It's the hospitality industry so expect to work weekends and holidays.

The Four Seasons was a quality and professional place to work.

Former Employee - Production Chef in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Production Chef in Vail, CO

I worked at Four Seasons full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pride of working in a five star resort. Also the benefits which included housing, insurance and a ski pass.
    , as well as the location

Cons

The very high standards that must be kept, the very long hours and working with many people at once.

there were too many bosses and not enough lower grade employees.

Why did I even bother?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits: free hotel stays (to many black-out dates though). Free lunch (sorta kinda), hoilday party, social events

Cons

you work wayyyyyyyy to many hours. work-life balance sucks. I'm being as real as it gets- you wont even have time to go to the doctors. if youre reading this you are probably looking for employement- take my advice and go work for the Ritz Carlton or Marriott.

everyone was annoying except General Manager and Hotel Manager

Inexperienced management teams.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Comp room nights although black out dates make this more like a promise never fulfilled.

Cons

They staff young, inexperienced managers so they can overwork them for no pay. This is often a burden to career line staff who have to constantly 'train' their rotating management team. Non existent leadership. Upper management keeps departments understaffed and overworked so they can collect big bonus checks based on minimizing labor costs.

Luxury service comes with proper staffing. It will never be great when you put inexperienced people in charge who are not equipped to lead and then work your staff into the ground.

It is a great company to work for

Current Employee - SPA Supervisor in Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - SPA Supervisor in Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Develop and new career opportunities.

Cons

Great company benefits ( health insurance, meals, parking and ,employee complimentary rooms within Four Seasons Hotels), training programs, develop employees to grow within the company.

None

Inspirational Ideals, reality sets in once you meet your management team

Current Employee - Pool Attendant in Kailua Kona, HI
    Current Employee - Pool Attendant in Kailua Kona, HI

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing networking ability, the guests become your family.
    Inspiration sets in immediately, Golden Rule is felt
    We all drink the cool aid but we like it? Work isn't work anymore, it becomes a passion.
    If you are a MIT or hospitality major you have great room for advancement
    Tips/Cash are substantial, your hourly wage is nothing compared to what the guests supply
    Everyone genuinely cares about the guest having the best time possible, great support.

Cons

It is very difficult to move up the rankings
    Once you move up the rankings you learn management takes a pay cut for a title
    In two years I had four department heads and was the 5th oldest veteran in my department due to turn over.
    The guests can be abusive and management will never defend you
    There is no room for mistakes, one error and you are gone no matter your track record
    While it was great to know I had vacation days and free room nights accruing, I never got to use them. Good luck going on vacation, but your managers? Good luck catching them between vacations.

When you have people with degrees in something other than Hospitality working for you or even those without degrees, do not shaft them away as forever servers. Understand that all people are inspired by the ideals of the Four Seasons. MITs may be great for recruiting managers but the people who worked in a department for 5-10 years should be given counsel and opportunity for training so to advance in these roles as well.

Magical

Current Employee - Banquet Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Banquet Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Four Seasons part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok first off I think the HR staff does an amazing job! I only say that because there is almost no one I don't get along with and even if there was every one carries there own weight so I really can't complain. The pay is great if your in the food service department and the benefits are wonderful! Free meals, free hotel stays after so long and perhaps strangely what I think is the coolest part (for nerds like me) is that not only do they give you and clean your work uniform but you swipe your employee card and it comes around to you like a giant vending machine!

Cons

The annual review. They always have to put something negative (I know it is suppose to be constructive but..), you pretty much have to be PERFECT to get a half decent review.

Keep doing a great job!

Really great co-workers, interesting guests, premature management

I have been working at Four Seasons full-time

Pros

Everyday, you work with awesome people... HR selects candidates for a cultural fit, so a lot of your colleagues share values, interests, and sense of humor. The guests you serve are always interesting, international, and your job is never the same day to day. Excellent benefits and good pay.

Cons

Many managers are between ages of 21-25 and could use a bit more experience in their field and especially in management skills. For example, a 21 year old with only a few months of legal drinking under his belt will have trouble managing a bar--designing cocktails, suggesting appropriate beverages to guests, diplomatic guest behavior management, etc.

Implement a more rigorous training process for managers-in-training before they are expected to command authority over a team of employees with vastly more knowledge and experience than themselves.

Four Seasons Photos