Four Winds Casino

Updated March 5, 2015
3.7

Frank Freedman

Great to work for

I have been working at Four Winds Casino (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits he seemed to care about the Associates

Cons

people have been there since it opened Are a tight note group

The Best Job I Ever Had

Former Employee - Beverage Server in New Buffalo, MI
    Former Employee - Beverage Server in New Buffalo, MI

I worked at Four Winds Casino

Pros

The company is a wonderful company to work for. They genuinely care about their employees and do what they can to help you succeed and work up the ladder within the company. The money was wonderful, it's definitely hard to work for less anywhere else. The employee appreciate days are golden! The EDR is wonderful! Friendly coworkers and a fun environment. Although it is a smokimg facility, I rarely was bothered by the smell due to the wonderful ventilation system.

Cons

If you aren't use to a point system, it can be a challenge. If you don't call off and aren't late, you have little to worry about.

Within the department I worked for, the bighest prpblem was allowing the employees to push over the supervisors. As a part time worker, I saw clearly how some full timers would argue and complain until they got exactly what they wanted, despite making things unfair for others.

my experience after 5 years

I worked at Four Winds Casino full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

most of the guest, the benefits

Cons

management. One suggestion. If you are going to make these people managers,.,.at least consider the preveailing thought that maybe at least at sometine in thier life they worked SOMEWHERE, hell ANYWHERE, ANY POSITION in the hospitality / restaurant business. You lost lots of good people becuse of some very poor mnagerial positons,...only to release these same managers after the fact.

Tribal casino

Former Employee - Security Officer in Hartford, MI
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Hartford, MI

I worked at Four Winds Casino full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, friendly staff, great benefits

Cons

There is a tribal preference in hiring, so it is difficult to move upwards through the organization unless maybe you have decades in the field, but you usually won't make it above lead, and the positions of manager and assistant manager are reserved for tribal and tribal spouses only.

I loved going to work most days!

Former Employee - IT Support Technician in New Buffalo, MI
    Former Employee - IT Support Technician in New Buffalo, MI

I worked at Four Winds Casino full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and job perks.

Cons

Too many unknown rules/gaming violations.

Keep doing what you are doing!

interesting

I have been working at Four Winds Casino

Pros

fun to work at this place

Cons

dealing with drunk customers sometimes

I love working at Four Winds Casino!

Current Employee - Cook II in New Buffalo, MI
    Current Employee - Cook II in New Buffalo, MI

I have been working at Four Winds Casino full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They constantly show how much they appreciate their employees (Employee Appreciation Days every quarter). They reward perfect attendance. Offer continuous training opportunities, many on site. They have a great benefit package. Many opportunities to transfer to different departments and advance as well. They have tuition reimbursement, which I am currently benefiting from.

Cons

Many good acts perform in the event venue that we are not able to attend. A very wide range of personalities working together.

Fun Fast paced environment

Current Employee - Slot Floor Person in New Buffalo, MI
    Current Employee - Slot Floor Person in New Buffalo, MI

I have been working at Four Winds Casino full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job opportunities abound. I started in 1 dept. and 7 months later got a transfer into another dept. and went full time

Cons

Sometimes communication is strained

Try to communicate things better to the employees such as policy changes

Great Starter Company

Current Employee - Players Club Representative in New Buffalo, MI
    Current Employee - Players Club Representative in New Buffalo, MI

I have been working at Four Winds Casino part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay
    PTO available for part tine
    Easy transfer between departments
    Fun atmosphere

Cons

Employees can get away with doing the bare minimum, which leaves others with a larger work load.
    Sometimes difficult to get a straight forward answer.
    Job descriptions aren't always accurate.

Realize that some of your employees are smarter than your giving them credit for. So if you can't give an honest answer to their question just say so, lying strains the relationship, and once that trust is gone working together can become stressful.

Great place, and growing fast!

Former Contractor - Second Shift Steward (Dishwasher) in New Buffalo, MI
    Former Contractor - Second Shift Steward (Dishwasher) in New Buffalo, MI

I worked at Four Winds Casino as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely GREAT co-workers. Really, they made the job awesome. Sure, there was the occasional slacker or whiner, but on the whole we worked together well and everyone actually communicated their needs. I had a great relationship with practically everyone I worked with and even ended up marrying one of my co-workers :) I'll point out that my experience only relates to the Food & Beverage Department, I don't know about others.

I was a seasonal employee (signed a contract limiting the number of months I could work there; worked for me since it was a summer job before I moved for college) so I never got to take advantage of the benefits they offered. I know they did offer various types of insurance, paid and unpaid vacation days, and retirement programs. Keeping in mind that I was an 18 year old with very little experience and that I worked as a temporary dishwasher, I was thrilled to start at $12 per hour. Some people won't think that's much, but it's still the largest amount I've ever been paid.

In terms of opportunities for advancement, they did a lot of internal recruiting. Due to their size, they had a high turnover rate, so there was plenty of opportunity for career shifts while also having plenty of outside recruitment too. My husband changed roles three times while working there and did so with relatively little hassle. I also know a few people who changed shifts (but not job titles) to better suit their family's schedules and to get a pay raise.

Cons

It's exactly the same job, day in, day out. Some people work well with that, but I found it to be a soul-crushing amount of monotony. Like I mention in Pros, the co-workers kept it fun, but if I had less than awesome co-workers, it would have been nearly unbearable.

Also, I found the probationary period to be a little rough. I had to take off one day for a family event and I ended up being written up for it. Apparently you're not allowed to take any days off work for a specific period at the beginning of your job. Again, this may be specific to the department I was in, but it seemed like a pretty intense policy.

I'd say to lighten up on policies, but I also understand why they're so strict about it. Four Winds is a HUGE company and if they weren't strict it would quickly devolve into anarchy. Just remember that you're humans managing humans, you're allowed to show that you have a heart. For clarity's sake, I would like to point out that managers only got robotic when it came to policy enforcement, all other times they were happy to talk and joke like anyone else on the team. I had a manager sing his apology for messing up my name on my first day :) Keep that kind of perspective, Four Winds. You're getting bigger and bigger, but never lose your heart. It's what makes you great.