Fox Chase Cancer Center Reviews

Michael V. Seiden

1. rn

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff and support. I love my job.

Cons

Some people complain about higher insurance premiums and clinical ladders

Advice to Management

I would love to see staff included in the mission statement you post throughout the facility.

2. Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment to work in but at the same time you realize the importance of your work. There is always room to grow and expand on your knowledge. Co-workers were all great to work with. There are very knowledgeable people working here who are very willing to share information.

Cons

Leadership had their hands tied as far as rewarding the employees for a job well done. It is very hard to get any compensation increase.

3. I have had a wonderful postdoctoral experience at FCCC.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent working environment. It is a more relaxed atmosphere than many traditional academic setttings, yet the labs here still churn out high quality research. All of the professors hae an open door policy, and collaboration/discuission is encouraged at the daily tea time. The compensation is fair and the benefits are amazing. The campus is beautiful.

Cons

Some of the facilities are a bit older, and there have been some financial woes in the Center's past. But the new leadership has righted the ship, and the present and future look bright.

5. It is a nice place to work

Current Employee - Resident in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Resident in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, friendly environment. -- Staff and volunteers are super nice.
    Diversity: employees and volunteers are from all over the world.
    Fame: the institute enjoys a good reputation and national ranking.

Cons

Personally I have not encountered any particular challenging situation there so far.

Well, one thing could be that after joining Temple Health, efficiency of the administration may not be as good as before.

6. Better than bedside at many places, but.....

Former Employee - Staff RN in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is below average for bedside nursing but the overall feel of Fox Chase is superior and more personal than most Philadelphia hospitals. Despite the "homey" feel, FC is still cutting edge when it comes to many cancer treatments and research.

Cons

Sadly, like all nursing jobs, there is a lack of reality as to what is required for safe and appropriate patient care. The concept of patients' needs being met with the reality of the staffing ratios does not make sense. Unfortunately, there is a serious lack of concern from those in supervisor positions about the reality of what happens on the floor when understaffing has become the norm.

7. Nice environment, not a Career

Former Employee - I T in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - I T in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fox Chase has a worthwhile mission, it was good to be a part of it. There were many nice people and a pleasant working environment. The Medical and Bio-Informatic research was exciting to support. Very nice Cafeteria.

Cons

I.T. is not really respected as a profession at Fox Chase, not on a par with other 1st-class medical research institutions. IMHO this leads to a negative feedback loop which contributes to the organization's current (2013-2014) financial woes, wherein Research Scientists expecting a world-class IT Infrastructure are disappointed and may leave.

Advice to Management

Perhaps fewer new buildings and fewer layoffs to pay for them, and more attention to personnel.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The PI and other doctors I work for are amazing. Very generous vacation and sick days (although they may try to cut them down after the Temple merger). The new facilities are beautiful.

Cons

Some parts of the hospital (especially the infusion area) tend to be run down and not state of the art like most patients are beginning to expect. The salaries are a complete joke. Many departments could pay more, but choose not to.

Advice to Management

Try to repair your image after the Temple merger. Grandfathered in Fox Chase employees are absolutely furious about what you have done to our benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc. Shame on you for allowing that type of stuff to happen. Stop the mass exodus of highly qualified Doctors. And fix your IRB. It is driving away talent, especially because of those "hanger ons" that feel it is their life and their place to ruin everyone elses. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is effected.

A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to work there ever again.

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job was convenient and it allowed me to gain some valuable oncology experience. They have a nice cafeteria and gift shop.

Cons

Pay was extremely low. 80% of employees dislike their job and their co-workers, which made it difficult to get through the day with a smile. Backstabbing is commonplace. Everyone is out for themselves and can't wait to throw their neighbor under the bus.

Saw them drop health benefits for 2 employees who got cancer. How ironic is that?

Advice to Management

Need to back your people and increase pay or you will continue to have the high turnover that you do.

Fox Chase Cancer Center is awesome

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I love how patient oriented they are, the people are very nice because they are allowed to serve the patients best. I love how my PI was really chill, and working for him was a pleasure.
    FCCC is a continuous innovator in working with cancer patients and constantly strives to be better. This is evident in everything they do from working with the latest new technologies, to conducting research in a centralized lab with many common resources available to researchers. Loved it.

Cons

As a volunteer, I didn't get to see very much or get too close to the negative side. My experience was mostly positive, so this can be seen as a bias in my analysis. The food available is decent, though it severely lacked a vegetarian option, which led to consumption of only one or two different items all summer.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating!

11. An ever changing Organization

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very helpful Staff, Various benefits offered, room for growth within the institution, average pay rate for administrative staff.

Cons

Slow paced accounting office, Constantly looking to cut costs and staff, not consistent with raises or promotions.

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff and work with them and for them, not against them.

RSS Feed </> Embed