Fox Chase Cancer Center

Nice environment, not a Career

Former Employee - I T  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - I T in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fox Chase has a worthwhile mission, it was good to be a part of it. There were many nice people and a pleasant working environment. The Medical and Bio-Informatic research was exciting to support. Very nice Cafeteria.

Cons

I.T. is not really respected as a profession at Fox Chase, not on a par with other 1st-class medical research institutions. IMHO this leads to a negative feedback loop which contributes to the organization's current (2013-2014) financial woes, wherein Research Scientists expecting a world-class IT Infrastructure are disappointed and may leave.

Perhaps fewer new buildings and fewer layoffs to pay for them, and more attention to personnel.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The PI and other doctors I work for are amazing. Very generous vacation and sick days (although they may try to cut them down after the Temple merger). The new facilities are beautiful.

Cons

Some parts of the hospital (especially the infusion area) tend to be run down and not state of the art like most patients are beginning to expect. The salaries are a complete joke. Many departments could pay more, but choose not to.

Try to repair your image after the Temple merger. Grandfathered in Fox Chase employees are absolutely furious about what you have done to our benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc. Shame on you for allowing that type of stuff to happen. Stop the mass exodus of highly qualified Doctors. And fix your IRB. It is driving away talent, especially because of those "hanger ons" that feel it is their life and their place to ruin everyone elses. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is effected.

A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to work there ever again.

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job was convenient and it allowed me to gain some valuable oncology experience. They have a nice cafeteria and gift shop.

Cons

Pay was extremely low. 80% of employees dislike their job and their co-workers, which made it difficult to get through the day with a smile. Backstabbing is commonplace. Everyone is out for themselves and can't wait to throw their neighbor under the bus.

Saw them drop health benefits for 2 employees who got cancer. How ironic is that?

Need to back your people and increase pay or you will continue to have the high turnover that you do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fox Chase Cancer Center is awesome

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I love how patient oriented they are, the people are very nice because they are allowed to serve the patients best. I love how my PI was really chill, and working for him was a pleasure.
    FCCC is a continuous innovator in working with cancer patients and constantly strives to be better. This is evident in everything they do from working with the latest new technologies, to conducting research in a centralized lab with many common resources available to researchers. Loved it.

Cons

As a volunteer, I didn't get to see very much or get too close to the negative side. My experience was mostly positive, so this can be seen as a bias in my analysis. The food available is decent, though it severely lacked a vegetarian option, which led to consumption of only one or two different items all summer.

Keep innovating!

A place never come back gain

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

big space and good area

Cons

get worse and worse since 2008

Improve your management, and create a better environment for scientist

An ever changing Organization

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very helpful Staff, Various benefits offered, room for growth within the institution, average pay rate for administrative staff.

Cons

Slow paced accounting office, Constantly looking to cut costs and staff, not consistent with raises or promotions.

Get to know your staff and work with them and for them, not against them.

Nice institute to work.

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family-friendly, free parking, nice people, nice environment, free tea

Cons

Small, less opportunity, not enough patients, need more space

Student Research Assistant

Current Employee - Student Research Assistant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Student Research Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Students are usually encouraged to complete their own projects. Everyone there, from researchers to office staff, are incredibly nice and helpful. This definitely is great experience for anyone interesting in pursuing a career in cancer research. Plus, there are tea and cookies every weekday at 3:30.

Cons

Like other research jobs, it is not typically a 9-5 job. You will almost always be there on the weekends or late at night. The research really does designate your schedule.

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Fox Chase Cancer Center

Pros

Vacation and time off allowance is generous. Opportunities are provided to offer feedback to the organization. Has low nurse:patient ratios.

Cons

Upper management not forthcoming with information regarding upcoming company changes. Salaries are below local averages. Understaffed as most hospitals are.

Downhill slide continues

Former Employee - Middle Management  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Fox Chase Cancer Center

Pros

Benefits are still pretty good. Longtime employees are still pretty nice. Tuition benefit is great but pay freezes put a damper on things.

Cons

Financially very troubled and don't seem to be making progress. Stealth layoffs continue and morale is shot in every part of the the place. Lots of good people gone within the past two years and upper management knows they will lose more. Keep your resume updated if you work there.

Pay freezes continue. The performance based culture is still too new to say for sure but it looks like they will hose huge percentages of the staff.

Do a monthly update on the finances to the staff.

Give staff raises funded by management give-backs. Or plan on losing even more people.

Tell staff the total truth about the financial mess you are in.

Worked for Fox Chase Cancer Center? Contribute to the Community!