Fox Restaurant Concepts

2.8

Sam Fox

Great Food/Great Service/ Poor Management Choices

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts

Pros

Company is a fast growing and constantly improving restaurant company.

Cons

Lower level management choices and training is not the best. They will give anyone you who has a big smile and a good personality a FOH management position. I have seen time and time again fox "managers"... managing those who have more experience, more restaurant knowledge, better communication skills, greater hard work ethic and higher drive in the industry. Is this the way a prestigious company should be ran..? I think there is great amount of intimidation among managers to hire those with greater chances to advance faster than their selves. Also with how great of products fox has to offer, they need to teach there servers and bartenders more product knowledge. This will not only better service but better sales within their new and upcoming concepts. Oh and also they don't promote from within as much as they could. Who brings in a GM who has never been with the company into one of their most profiting concepts, when they have many of possible choices within the company. I love the company but I think they need to work on restructuring their internal recruiting structure. Sam Fox is a brilliant man he knows how to make money and cut cost, I just think that lower level management needs to get on his level and share his passion not only with having one of the best restaurant company in the US but his drive to make money and grow. I have been with many fox concepts and dined at just about all of them and I have noticed that overall hospitality has started to drop compared to when I used to work with the company. They also need to better the work life for those employees who are not in management. Yes serving and bartending is a rough job but there are ways to better their everyday work life and environment.

Awful Company

Current Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts

Pros

Organized, consistent business, good food

Cons

Cut throat management makes for unbelievable staff turnover

Evolve capacity for compassion

A great company to for work if you have passion for hospitality and a phenomenal work ethic.

Former Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The most efficiently ran group of restaurants I've experienced. Great food, great atmosphere, very little micro managing, and great money if you work hard.

Cons

Long hours, flexibility is limited, and extremely little room for error.

Excellent

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts

Pros

Best Restraunt Chain ive worked for!

Cons

Very high paced work environment

Great company; poor wages and tips

Current Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Young co-workers and managers make for fun atmosphere
    Food is very good and actually fresh
    Pretty flexible hours for college or high school kids
    Training is the best I've ever had in a restaurant; very thorough

Cons

The same young co-workers can leave you "babysitting" in the group-service, fast-casual concept of Sauce Pizza & Wine
    VERY POOR PAY - even worse tips since this is setup where you order your food at the cash register and servers bring it out to you
    High employee turnover

Other full-service concepts can get away with paying less than minimum wage for being tipped employees, it seems like you found a loophole to underpay us when you know people don't tip the same at non-full-service concepts. Love the company and concepts, but I feel like I do just as much work as servers at the other concepts and get paid much less for it.

It's OK

Current Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts

Pros

It's a job. Well known company so they will always have business. They really like it when people move up from server to management, but from what I've heard management does not receive everything they expect

Cons

Very unorganized. There was a manager within the company who kept being bounced from restaurant to restaurant because the person was awful and constantly receiving complaints. Problems with secret shopper expectations, some of the meals literally take longer to cook than the shopper report allows time for, so the shopped server loses points on their score. Management is often hit or miss, they are either great or just absolutely atrocious.

"Yes is the answer, what is the question?" is not always a reasonable motto to live by. Maybe pay a little more attention to the happiness and ideas of the lowly servers in the company

Good company

Former Employee - Server in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great food and concepts , nice discount , My GM was great. Nice corporate structure friendly staff

Cons

Upper management liked to micromanage, low pay for certain concept, realize what potential you have in stores and use them

Hire qualified people and use them

you need to be liked from the get go

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

quick paycheck , you can get your foot in the door if you know the restaurant industry

Cons

Condescending Chefs, Always being funneled to do what they want instead of what you need to do

you need to watch your chefs.. they get away with running their mouths and abusing dishwashers

Chef

Current Employee - Chef in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Chef in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work/life balance, corporate but always able to put personal touch on things, innovative, proactive and very team driven. Sky's the limit for growth opportunities

Cons

Self motivated, coaching and training come within. Very little interaction with the corporate level. Pay is average

Create better training and developmental plans.

Poor Management from the Top Down-Owner Sleeps with New Hires

I worked at Fox Restaurant Concepts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Food overall is pretty good, with an appealing seasonal menu.

Cons

Poor management from Sam Fox all the way down to shift leaders. I was part of a new restaurant opening and placed as a server, owners came down personally to oversee the opening and handle training of the staff. The corporate chef had an ego bigger than the Superbowl as well as an affinity to treat male and female staff differently, very differently.
         I was part of the first wave of employees(about 15 total), then the second wave came through. In that second wave, several attractive employees were targetted by the corporate chef and caught in inappropriate situations throughout the restaurant opening. After the restaurant opened, the corporate team left, more than one female employee brought up having relations with the corporate chef, which made things awkward for most of the staff as the corporate team would come back in for progress reviews, menu changes, etc.
         The corporate chef is actually part owner of FoxRC, which is about as unprofessional as it gets. Little respect was given after the opening to the corporate team, as they had other simliar incidents down the road and heavy turnover at the VP level. This unprofessionalism drifted down to the GM and Asst Mgr. level, as the corporate standard was pretty loose, no pun intended.

Learn to lead by example and have some self respect.