Fractal Analytics

Updated November 24, 2014
3.8

Fractal Analytics CEO Srikanth Velamakanni
Srikanth Velamakanni

Pros
  • The work culture, flexibility offered to employees is unseen in other similar companies (in 40 reviews)

• Work Life balance is quite easy with flexi timings and location of working (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • I can not say it is middle management incapability as they were not given proper coaching (in 23 reviews)

• As company is growing very fast, work - life balance is a concern (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to start your career, good company good colleagues.
    You will find both innovative and ambitious people at all levels.

Cons

Most of the work includes mundane reporting and data pull. You don't get a lot of exposure to the domain.

Great Culture

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best Culture, Best people to work with, Good infrastructure.

Cons

Lack of good projects, Middle management still lacks adequate Knowledge and required skill sets. Management is more interested in what you do outside your project work.

Please give appraisal to the employees based on his project work and not what work has he/she done other than the project. Please upgrade the salary bands with respect to current market conditions.

Good company with poor Managers and Directors.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working with fractal for a time now. Good work culture. Growth and learning supportive. Opportunities to explore various analytics domain.

Cons

Managers and ADs are poor. They do not contribute to the deliveries, do not add any technical value to the team. At the same time some managers( which i have experienced) are very unprofessional, they treat a fresher like no respect at all. They give you work like to make ppts, do google search rather than actual analytics. They shout at you( literally) if you ask for more and good work. Even if you work really hard they just ignore it and give it to someone whom they like or is always supporting them even though they are wrong. They do not give you any honest feedback till the time of appraisals and promotions when they just deny that you have worked hard throughout the year. And when you try to shift to other projects they would bad mouth you so that you cannot move to other projects easily.

Despite the above problems this company can grow a lot. They are very talented people but because of these issues they are loosing them. Also u have seen that the difference between package of tier 2 and tier 1 college is so high that a person looses motivation to work seeing a person getting higher package and doing 50% less work them him. Also analyst who are hard worker are not getting what they deserve because of less transparency of who does the work from manager to AD level. Manager gives the credit to the person whom he likes.

Great Work Culture but the pay is peanuts .!

Current Employee - Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work
    Great people to work with
    Everyone is very approachable

Cons

Very Poor Pay Band Policies.
    Absence of proper gradation for band placement at recruitment for a fresher.
    An IIT graduate even is paid less than an 80 percentile MBA graduate.

No matter how good the culture is, employees would leave if compensated lower though being fully qualified

Will go places

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The extraordinary freedom that we've at Fractal is unimaginable at any other organization.
    There is a lot of trust that the management places in the employees.
    There is a sense of purpose in my work that brings me to the office everyday.
    You can choose your projects in Fractal which is an unseen.
    People are respectful of each other in Fractal.
    The enthusiasm that every new batch of analysts brings to the organization is refreshing.
    There is a lot of emphasis placed on learning
    Srikanth is like a one man army in himself.

Cons

The learning structure is shaping up with EdX and other courses but is still far from where it should be for a 14 year old organization.
    Organizational structure is sometimes confusing. I can't understand the role of senior domain consultants (mostly involved in selling) very well. Analysts rarely get to interact with them.
    On site presence of analysts is very low.
    As an organization, we could be more disciplined. Not too many people care to reply to internal emails and meeting invites.
    The senior management is not very connected to the analysts. Only Srikanth sends emails once in a while. Nobody else takes us along with them on what they are thinking/ planning to do.
    There are limited high end analytics projects and everybody wants them.
    No dedicated R&D efforts (except for very few places) to build solutions outside of Fractal Sciences team.

If the ratio of onsite to offsite can be increased then the organization as a whole will benefit in understand the clients' business better.
    Please address the issue of learning systems.
    How does people who are extraordinarily disciplined in client deliverable become so carefree with internal communication. I don't know how should we address this issue but we should do it before it becomes a norm.
    Hire different type of talent for different type of work. May be we are already doing it. The interviewers don't know that even if we have decided it at senior level.
    If there is anybody else other than Srikanth in the senior leadership team, we'd like to hear what is going on in the organization.
    Promote R&D mindset in the company. It could very well be a differentiation factor and will keep us ahead in the game.

These are just some of the things that we can we better at. I sincerely believe that we are a great organization in great senior leadership hands. No offence intended.

Amazing place to start, grow and probably even finish your career

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work culture at Fractal is built around honesty, ideation, initiative and mutual growth. In my 13-odd months here I have grown so much personally and professionally. At the same time, I have enjoyed working with fantastic people, had loads of fun and also managed to pursue other learning opportunities (certificate course). There is quick growth here (esp for Analyst/Sr Analyst) and if you are passionate and good at what you do, there is no reason for you to be unhappy at this place. Thanks Srikanth and Fractal for creating such a wonderful work place!

Cons

Some people tend to misuse the open culture at Fractal and violate the freedom that they have been granted which burdens their team or the Manager. Secondly, I feel that there is a stark difference in capabilities between 2 people at the same level (A/SA/AL/SC) in the organization.

Good company

I have been working at Fractal Analytics (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice work place environment
    good ceo

Cons

salary structure should be reviewed to retain best talents

A good place to work with average work life balance.

Current Employee - Analytics Lead in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Analytics Lead in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very fast growing firm. Lot of new opportunities

Cons

Not able to make any progress in Financial Services domain. Due to lack of project employees have no option but to move to other domains

Awesome Company with Scope of Improvement. CEO Rocks!

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Will start with few things which have been mentioned time and again in almost all reviews:

A. Awesome CEO.

Everything Else:
    1. Flexible working hours.
    2. No leaves tracking
    3. No entry-exit timings
    4. No specific dress code
    5. Flat organisation, anyone can approach anyone directly
    6. Higher work-life balance compared to others in the same field
    7. Good compensation
    8. Once a Fractalite, always a Fractalite.
    9. Easy Exit Policy.
    10.Analysts and Senior Analysts: for being the pillars of Fractal.

Cons

Some of them have been mentioned before but I will stress on it yet again. And I am explaining each point in detail. The intent isn’t to malign the company but to highlight points on which corrective action can be taken. End of the day, it’s my company and I love it. I hope Srikanth is reading this.

A. Middle Management: If you compare the quality of AL/SCs who have been hired in the past 1-2 years to AL/SCs who are home grown, you can see the difference. While Srikanth emphasizes on the fact that everyone should be Analyst first and their current Role next, it hardly happens. Lack of technical knowledge is often exposed in front of clients, and it doesn't present a rosy picture of Fractal. Why do we need managers of big projects who don't know anything technical about what’s happening with the project. And this happens in all client-relationships. People management and all (what they claim) is okay, but everything is secondary right?
    B. Project Change: What we know is quite in contrast to what reality is. Changing projects is difficult; often managers not ready to let people go. They may site thousand reasons, but yes the intent is clear.
    C. Quality of work: This has to come up. People are sticking to Fractal because they love Fractal and its culture. But ask them about the quality of work, most of them aren’t too satisfied. And in the long run, to be sustainable I think the QoW should be improved. Because between the work and the company, people will choose their work in the long run. People don’t want to do standard reporting, which is common in many projects. I know few big CPG clients are major cash cows with fixed stream of revenue, but we need to move beyond that. Srikanth, kindly look at this yourself.
    D. Appraisals: Generally the appraisal time is the worst time in Fractal, specially on promotion discussions which generally goes down to voting, and something which leads to lobbying. Every manager will want his team member to get promoted. Lets have a clear metric for promotion as well like we have for Goal achievement. I know we are working on it, but this is something I wanted to highlight.
    E. Dependence on A/SA: Dependency on A/SA is huge. Literally HUGE. Sometimes entire project hinges on the availability of one or two As/SAs. This is wrong. The AL/SC/AD should be equally responsible for the entire project, and should serve as a back-up at all times. A/SA cant take proper leaves without meticulous planning.
    F. More space for sitting. We are all cramped! :( But this is a secondary requirement.

A. Intensive Training of AL/SCs (even ADs) who join on technical capabilities mainly based on their project requirements. A manager without knowing the ABC about the project technicalities wont be sustainable in the long run and is very dangerous to the team as well. It is certainly not how great managers should be. So, please train them. Conduct workshops. 2 years in Fractal, 3 years in Fractal, no worry, you need to go to the classroom. Because its for the long-term benefit of Fractal.
    B. Share the people management concept/term which the managers use among many people and give them technical work instead. If I am working in a project which intensively uses Spotfire/Qlikview/Tableu, and my manager doesn’t know anything about the tool, I wont be happy. And more so, if he stresses on the point to complete a particular assignment on a stipulated time without knowing anything about the technical nuances of the requirements. Generally managers aren’t supposed to know this, but we aren’t a normal company right? 
    C. I have rated 5 because I believe this company can achieve newer heights. It invests a lot in people, a few can abuse and misuse the complete trust, but most of them will work and contribute with more vigor. In Srikanth we trust! Cheers!

Great place to start corporate life; great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Fractal Analytics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-A lot of flexibilty and open-ness. WFH and no micromanagement policy is great.
    -No set hierarchy, everyone is amicable and approachable. The CEO is the most inspiring person in the organisation: A perfect leader
    -Compensation is decent; a lot of growth and career opportunities.
    -A lot of learning opportunities if you are interested and willing to make the extra effort.

Cons

-Some of the senior level management is not that motivated or inspiring.
    -Office space is getting cramped.
    -Managers should be involved more in the ground level data handling and issue solving.
    -Analyst level employees should take more ownership of their work.

-Keep up the employee friendly environment we are building.
    -Try to expand offices in Gurgaon and Mumbai.
    -New employees are not well versed with people principles. Some misuse them and some disregard them.