Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

www.fragomen.com
Employer Engaged

Corrupt, managing partner is a complete jerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office location and space, paralegals get a private office, benefits are very good.

Cons

The leadership is a joke! The managing partner left for a period of several months and everyone hoped he would not return. He is the true definition of a boss, not a leader. Depends on authority and blames others for any breakdown. Does not develop employees or care for anyone other than himself. When I turned in my resignation to HR, the HR manager scheduled my exit interview. The managing partner came to me and told me to not say negative things about him, and that if I had any "issues" he would like to discuss them with me first. WHAT? Like I said, a corrupt place to work and the real leadership of the firm has no clue. As long as the office is profitable, they don't care. In a staff meeting, he promised "big raises." No raises (in 2011). In a staff meeting, he told the office to clean up their work areas and to start acting like we are guests in his home. It was always something ludicrous coming out of his mouth and HR would attend the meetings by phone. I was so glad to leave Fragomen and work for a real law firm. One that demonstrates its core values and develops its people.

Pop in on the office on a regular basis. Demand that HR be involved. If it's left up to the managing partner, HR and leadership from NY/NJ will never know what's really happening in coral Gables.

Worthy of Nightmares

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal I
    Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal I

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I guess the benefits are adequate and vacation time is good after you have been with the company for a few years. Everything else about this place is unimaginably horrible.

Cons

If you are considering working in the global side of the Matawan office – great! If you are considering employment on the legal side of the Matawan office – run as fast as you possibly can. In the year that I was with the firm, the turnover in the department was rampant. Every day someone else announced their resignation. I had friends on 5 different teams and each of them was extremely unhappy with their management and treatment. If you are compliant and able to take verbal and emotional abuse on a daily basis you will advance and join the ranks of managing paralegals. If you in anyway voice your concern or unhappiness with mistreatment to Human Resources or your management you will be held at a low level without promotion (happened to several of my friends) for years, or fired without behavioral or work issues being cited as the cause. I still have nightmares about working at this office, about my boss, and about the copious amounts of dirt HR swept under the rug. Do not think you will be valued. You are easily replacable and they make that well known.

Gave me a chance to work for them right out of college with not work experience. Could not see a future therefore I left after a few years.

Former Employee - Paralegal in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in San Diego, CA

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Getting hired was easy. Never having to take work home.

Cons

No bonuses, poor raises, paralegal are treated as replaceable, training program insufficient

New management, modernize the way employees should be treated.

Had higher expectations for this place, but it's just so-so

Former Intern - Law Clerk
    Former Intern - Law Clerk

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, plenty of work, good training opportunities, usually flexible for time off

Cons

Too many immature and unprofessional people on staff, can get stuck doing the same thing all the time (especially during the summer) and not get as much exposure to a wider variety of cases, some very outdated technology (who still uses Lotus Notes?)

More team building initiatives, especially for new hires, to make it a more welcoming and attractive work environment

It all depends which team you are on

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dress down Fridays, bagels on Fridays

Cons

Sweatshop mentality, no coverage when you are out

There are human beings in those cubes, not machines.

Decent place to start. Bad place to stay.

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get to do substantive work sometimes. Overtime is nice during the busy seasons. Breakfast provided Mondays and pizza on Fridays. Looks decent on a resume.

Cons

Training is inadequate. Most of the learning is done on the job. Nobody knows your name, and nobody really cares. Everyone keeps to themselves, smiles are hard to come by because the employees realize how much they hate their jobs. During my time, I didn't hear a single positive thing about the company. Temps are completely expendable. You can work 60 hour weeks and deliver exceptional work but they have no problem cutting you lose when it becomes convenient for them. They will replace you by the next morning due to their careless hiring strategy. Most temps are hired without even an interview. It makes it easier for them to let you go. Little to no advancement for permanent employees.

Treat your temporary employees like they matter. Give your permanent employees a reason to stay. Nobody says "I can see myself working here long-term." There is a reason for that.

At a low level, you're underpaid and overworked, and your team makes all the difference.

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to get on a good team, your job can be somewhat interesting and your co-workers can be awesome. Otherwise, some teams seem to randomly fire people every month or so, and it seems like the attorneys are scapegoating their underlings.

They put out free fruit from Whole Foods on Mondays, and free bagels on Fridays. Every 3rd Thursday they have a party with snacks and beer/wine.

Their insurance benefits are good.

Cons

You're overworked and overwhelmed with minutia that has to be done impeccably the first time, or else you get yelled at or fired for not noticing a tiny detail on a case where you received virtually no training. It's easy to be scapegoated, as the attorneys are under a lot of pressure to produce, and if they didn't take the time to explain something to you, it's easy for them to push that under the rug and claim you're just incompetent.

While I appreciate the free food every so often, I'd rather get paid more.

The building isn't great after they moved back to FiDi. The midtown building was better, and more conveniently located for the vast majority of the employees.

Pay your lower-level employees more. If you aren't an attorney and don't want to go to law school, there's limited room for advancement. Given the extremely high case loads you give everyone, with extreme demands on accuracy and timing, the only reason to stay at a job like that would be salary. You're hemorrhaging good people by underpaying.

You're also losing people by allowing many teams to fire perfectly good employees that aren't being given direction. Teams that have high turnover should be given intensive training in management skills, or they themselves should be shown the door.

Great learning experience. Would encourage all interested in Law to join this firm

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as an intern

Pros

Friendly workers
    Good work hours
    Good pay
    Efficient training programs and everybody is always willing to help out whenever needed

Cons

Not many blunders here. Fragomen is a great law firm that allows you to grow and learn.

Immigration Paralegal Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth, casual work environment, overtime pay, extensive training, excellent resources.

Cons

Must work a lot of overtime, must meet monthly billing targets.

More structure/ consistencies to promotions.

Nice environment to work in.

Former Employee - Law Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

No billable hours, relaxed dress code, lots of ongoing training. Everyone is nice and helpful.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, lack of attorney hiring. I think enjoyment depends on the team you are hired on to.