Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Updated November 21, 2014
2.8

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy Partner Austin T. Fragomen
Austin T. Fragomen

Pros
  • The people are great to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, plenty of work, good training opportunities, usually flexible for time off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no investment in employees as human beings; including their development and retention (in 4 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement once you hit the paralegal level (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Company only cares about making money

Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours were relatively flexible (because my supervisor liked me) and overtime was available

Cons

The company and management only care about making money. They hire completely inexperienced employees right out of college and pay way less than the industry standard. Training is pretty non-existent, so if you don't learn quickly on your own, or make friends quickly that can help you, you will fail and will probably be fired. If management likes you, however, you can skate by without doing much work but you still get paid horribly. Most people are fired or quit within a year. Those that stay longer are "lifers" - they put up with super long hours and the abuse because they don't want to look for another job. It will take 6-7 years to get to supervisor, and once you're there, management expects you to be available at all times (day and night, including weekends and when you're on vacation). I only took one vacation my entire time there, and was out of the country. I'm not even a manager, and I received texts and emails while out of the office. Any time I was sick I received texts and phone calls as well, even when I was out because my mom was having heart surgery. They do not care about their employees or treat them like people. Benefits are also below industry standard, and HR is completely useless.

Adding a popcorn machine, ping-pong table and giving everyone pedometers doesn't make employees happy. You will continue to lose good talent unless you completely restructure. The company is doing well now, but eventually you will begin to lose clients, especially once they find out how you treat the people who work for you.

High work volume and understaffed.

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time

Pros

It's a great place to learn within the first 6 months of working there. And you almost always get the time off you request.

Cons

Extremely understaffed, you are pretty much set up for failure as you can never catch up. The turn over rate is very unsettling. The amount of stress you bring home is unbearable and the pay is insulting.

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some managers are nice and understanding

Cons

If you are assigned to the high-volume clients team, you will be over-worked. You will work more than 40 hours every week. On some weeks it will be close to 50. During the H1B cap, you will work close to sixty. Yet none of this means that you will be considered for promotions or raises. The work is incredibly tedious, boring, and unrewarding.

Pay more. That's the only to keep people for longer than a year.

Inefficient systems, partners who only care about money

Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The paid 6-8 week maternity leave was definitely unexpected, and an awesome benefit if you can hang in there long enough to use it.

Cons

The partners don't care about their staff: everyone is overworked, and continuously told to get more work done during the same time. HR micromanages your time in and out of the office.

If you show your paralegals no loyalty or respect, you honestly cannot expect loyalty or respect from them.

I enjoy working with fascinating coworkers, but it is easy to become overworked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I love the location. If you are going out after work or during lunch, it is the perfect place to be in the city. The staff is an arrangement of hard working, smart, and genuine people. The pay is decent.

Cons

Micro-management is rapid! Doesn't matter what position you hold. Upper management doesn't care if we are overworked and understaffed. You have to work overtime in order to complete all of the work that you are assigned, but you get in trouble from attorneys for working overtime. The raises are not worth all the hard work. It is bad when HR states during review time not to expect good ratings.

Hire more, promote more, be honest.

Employer of choice

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Pros

Growth opportunity . Empowerment. Responsibility.

Cons

Not many cons I can think of.

Bad management. No respect for employees.

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Pros

Looks good on your resume.

Cons

No mentorship. Micromanaging the employees all the time.

It is cut throat if your incompetent. You have to learn fast, comprehend and retain what you learn.

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You receive great corporate legal experience in a short amount of time. If you prove worthy, more legal responsibilities are given to you. You have to understand the big picture in every little task you do. You feel better about the work you do when you understand how it effects the overall big picture of corporate immigration.

Cons

If it takes you too long to understand and comprehend, you are done in a heartbeat. You sit at your desk 98% of the time. Believe me, your body (lower back, knees, and buttocks) will ache. It can be boring and repetitive.

Take the time to train new hires and temps the right way the first time around. Give them a fighting chance to learn the ropes and give them a break if they make a small mistake. If after that they still prove incompetent, then it's okay to fire them.

Good company to get started in your career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good work environment and people were friendly.

Cons

Didn't learn new software applications.

Awful environment, endless crises, stiff hierarchy.

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paralegals will learn A LOT in a short amount of time. If you take a job here, you'll know more about immigration than several of the young lawyers who manage you. This is the place to become an immigration ninja. The HR team is crazy proud of their free bagels on Fridays and cocktail parties every third Thursday of the month. They will mention this several times during recruitment.

Cons

Paralegals do all of the work for young lawyers who got their degrees at second-rate schools, can barely spell or write, don't know jack about any of their cases, and spend their time on Facebook. Anything that goes wrong is blamed on a paralegal, whether or not he or she touched the case. Managers don't know the names of anyone on their teams and often spend time working from home, communicating with one favored lawyer and leaving all other assistant managers, lawyers, admins, and paralegals out of the loop. Favoritism is insane. Raises are promised but never materialize. The workload can be intense and lawyers often break under the pressure, then snap at the people who work under them. Questions about cases are discouraged. Everyone would give up the stupid free bagels if it meant they could be paid more, which would make up for the poor treatment. Lots of yelling, lots of crying amongst the lawyers. Lots of talk about how "we're a team!" but lawyers literally do not acknowledge paralegals in the hallway. Lots of nonsensical bureaucracy surrounding cases. Managers often have no idea why cases have been going sideways and implement useless rules instead of talking to people who have prepared the cases to see why foreign nationals are having trouble completing questionnaires or understanding our visa preparation instructions (usually because of poorly-worded language in the instructions the lawyers drafted).

Stop treating the paralegals like crap, especially when they draft your entire caseload and make you look good.