Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Updated December 13, 2014
2.7

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy Partner Austin T. Fragomen
Austin T. Fragomen

Pros
  • The people are great to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, plenty of work, good training opportunities, usually flexible for time off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no investment in employees as human beings; including their development and retention (in 4 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement once you hit the paralegal level (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

At a low level, you're underpaid and overworked, and your team makes all the difference.

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to get on a good team, your job can be somewhat interesting and your co-workers can be awesome. Otherwise, some teams seem to randomly fire people every month or so, and it seems like the attorneys are scapegoating their underlings.

They put out free fruit from Whole Foods on Mondays, and free bagels on Fridays. Every 3rd Thursday they have a party with snacks and beer/wine.

Their insurance benefits are good.

Cons

You're overworked and overwhelmed with minutia that has to be done impeccably the first time, or else you get yelled at or fired for not noticing a tiny detail on a case where you received virtually no training. It's easy to be scapegoated, as the attorneys are under a lot of pressure to produce, and if they didn't take the time to explain something to you, it's easy for them to push that under the rug and claim you're just incompetent.

While I appreciate the free food every so often, I'd rather get paid more.

The building isn't great after they moved back to FiDi. The midtown building was better, and more conveniently located for the vast majority of the employees.

Pay your lower-level employees more. If you aren't an attorney and don't want to go to law school, there's limited room for advancement. Given the extremely high case loads you give everyone, with extreme demands on accuracy and timing, the only reason to stay at a job like that would be salary. You're hemorrhaging good people by underpaying.

You're also losing people by allowing many teams to fire perfectly good employees that aren't being given direction. Teams that have high turnover should be given intensive training in management skills, or they themselves should be shown the door.

Nice environment to work in.

Former Employee - Law Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

No billable hours, relaxed dress code, lots of ongoing training. Everyone is nice and helpful.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, lack of attorney hiring. I think enjoyment depends on the team you are hired on to.

A Modern Day Sweatshop

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal I in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal I in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits. Professional environment.

Cons

Hires a bunch of college graduates with no experience. Employees are there to just put their heads down and process, process, process.

I enjoy working with fascinating coworkers, but it is easy to become overworked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I love the location. If you are going out after work or during lunch, it is the perfect place to be in the city. The staff is an arrangement of hard working, smart, and genuine people. The pay is decent.

Cons

Micro-management is rapid! Doesn't matter what position you hold. Upper management doesn't care if we are overworked and understaffed. You have to work overtime in order to complete all of the work that you are assigned, but you get in trouble from attorneys for working overtime. The raises are not worth all the hard work. It is bad when HR states during review time not to expect good ratings.

Hire more, promote more, be honest.

High work volume and understaffed.

Former Employee - Paralegal
    Former Employee - Paralegal

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time

Pros

It's a great place to learn within the first 6 months of working there. And you almost always get the time off you request.

Cons

Extremely understaffed, you are pretty much set up for failure as you can never catch up. The turn over rate is very unsettling. The amount of stress you bring home is unbearable and the pay is insulting.

Company only cares about making money

Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Immigration Coordinator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hours were relatively flexible (because my supervisor liked me) and overtime was available

Cons

The company and management only care about making money. They hire completely inexperienced employees right out of college and pay way less than the industry standard. Training is pretty non-existent, so if you don't learn quickly on your own, or make friends quickly that can help you, you will fail and will probably be fired. If management likes you, however, you can skate by without doing much work but you still get paid horribly. Most people are fired or quit within a year. Those that stay longer are "lifers" - they put up with super long hours and the abuse because they don't want to look for another job. It will take 6-7 years to get to supervisor, and once you're there, management expects you to be available at all times (day and night, including weekends and when you're on vacation). I only took one vacation my entire time there, and was out of the country. I'm not even a manager, and I received texts and emails while out of the office. Any time I was sick I received texts and phone calls as well, even when I was out because my mom was having heart surgery. They do not care about their employees or treat them like people. Benefits are also below industry standard, and HR is completely useless.

Adding a popcorn machine, ping-pong table and giving everyone pedometers doesn't make employees happy. You will continue to lose good talent unless you completely restructure. The company is doing well now, but eventually you will begin to lose clients, especially once they find out how you treat the people who work for you.

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some managers are nice and understanding

Cons

If you are assigned to the high-volume clients team, you will be over-worked. You will work more than 40 hours every week. On some weeks it will be close to 50. During the H1B cap, you will work close to sixty. Yet none of this means that you will be considered for promotions or raises. The work is incredibly tedious, boring, and unrewarding.

Pay more. That's the only to keep people for longer than a year.

Employer of choice

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Pros

Growth opportunity . Empowerment. Responsibility.

Cons

Not many cons I can think of.

Inefficient systems, partners who only care about money

Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Immigration Paralegal in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The paid 6-8 week maternity leave was definitely unexpected, and an awesome benefit if you can hang in there long enough to use it.

Cons

The partners don't care about their staff: everyone is overworked, and continuously told to get more work done during the same time. HR micromanages your time in and out of the office.

If you show your paralegals no loyalty or respect, you honestly cannot expect loyalty or respect from them.

It is cut throat if your incompetent. You have to learn fast, comprehend and retain what you learn.

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You receive great corporate legal experience in a short amount of time. If you prove worthy, more legal responsibilities are given to you. You have to understand the big picture in every little task you do. You feel better about the work you do when you understand how it effects the overall big picture of corporate immigration.

Cons

If it takes you too long to understand and comprehend, you are done in a heartbeat. You sit at your desk 98% of the time. Believe me, your body (lower back, knees, and buttocks) will ache. It can be boring and repetitive.

Take the time to train new hires and temps the right way the first time around. Give them a fighting chance to learn the ropes and give them a break if they make a small mistake. If after that they still prove incompetent, then it's okay to fire them.