Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Updated December 21, 2014
2.7

Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy Partner Austin T. Fragomen
Austin T. Fragomen

Pros
  • The people are great to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, plenty of work, good training opportunities, usually flexible for time off (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no investment in employees as human beings; including their development and retention (in 4 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement once you hit the paralegal level (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad management. No respect for employees.

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy

Pros

Looks good on your resume.

Cons

No mentorship. Micromanaging the employees all the time.

It is cut throat if your incompetent. You have to learn fast, comprehend and retain what you learn.

Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal
    Current Employee - Assistant Paralegal

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You receive great corporate legal experience in a short amount of time. If you prove worthy, more legal responsibilities are given to you. You have to understand the big picture in every little task you do. You feel better about the work you do when you understand how it effects the overall big picture of corporate immigration.

Cons

If it takes you too long to understand and comprehend, you are done in a heartbeat. You sit at your desk 98% of the time. Believe me, your body (lower back, knees, and buttocks) will ache. It can be boring and repetitive.

Take the time to train new hires and temps the right way the first time around. Give them a fighting chance to learn the ropes and give them a break if they make a small mistake. If after that they still prove incompetent, then it's okay to fire them.

Good company to get started in your career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good work environment and people were friendly.

Cons

Didn't learn new software applications.

Awful environment, endless crises, stiff hierarchy.

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paralegals will learn A LOT in a short amount of time. If you take a job here, you'll know more about immigration than several of the young lawyers who manage you. This is the place to become an immigration ninja. The HR team is crazy proud of their free bagels on Fridays and cocktail parties every third Thursday of the month. They will mention this several times during recruitment.

Cons

Paralegals do all of the work for young lawyers who got their degrees at second-rate schools, can barely spell or write, don't know jack about any of their cases, and spend their time on Facebook. Anything that goes wrong is blamed on a paralegal, whether or not he or she touched the case. Managers don't know the names of anyone on their teams and often spend time working from home, communicating with one favored lawyer and leaving all other assistant managers, lawyers, admins, and paralegals out of the loop. Favoritism is insane. Raises are promised but never materialize. The workload can be intense and lawyers often break under the pressure, then snap at the people who work under them. Questions about cases are discouraged. Everyone would give up the stupid free bagels if it meant they could be paid more, which would make up for the poor treatment. Lots of yelling, lots of crying amongst the lawyers. Lots of talk about how "we're a team!" but lawyers literally do not acknowledge paralegals in the hallway. Lots of nonsensical bureaucracy surrounding cases. Managers often have no idea why cases have been going sideways and implement useless rules instead of talking to people who have prepared the cases to see why foreign nationals are having trouble completing questionnaires or understanding our visa preparation instructions (usually because of poorly-worded language in the instructions the lawyers drafted).

Stop treating the paralegals like crap, especially when they draft your entire caseload and make you look good.

No direction, mindless work, unfortunate team culture

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as a contractor

Pros

Training, some very talented people. Most people are nice.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant, and unless you are in the circle, it is difficult to progress much. No transparency between upper management and the regular Joes. Lots of repetitive, mindless work. Office politics definitely exist and it was exhausting trying to stay on top of it.

Slow progression

Current Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have a great manager...can't say that for my co-workers though.

Cons

Slow advancement that is not based on education, employment history that is outside of immigration, or productivity. You will not be an exempt employee for at least five years minimum.

If you expect me to do senior level supervisor work on a regular basis, give me the respect of senior level benefits.

Fragomen

Current Employee - Legal Assistant (Ap2) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant (Ap2) in New York, NY

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

Mico-Management was tough to deal with

Once a temp, always a temp, because if you are hired you're quickly fired

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office culture is young and laid back. Dress standards are relaxed, almost unprofessional, but since there are no client relations that is fine. Occasional parties subsidized by the company provide a needed safety-valve and are relaxing occasions.
    Pay: overtime work is common and pays well. The company does not try and cheat its employees. It is very honest, although employees should keep a daily log report to prove that they are in.

Cons

Personal growth: there is none. Unless you are willing to put in 60 hours a week or more, you will be fired within 2-3 months. If you are willing to put in 60 hours a week or more, you can still be replaced. I was in the company for 9 months. In that time 1/3 to half the office staff had been changed.
    Work-life balance: employees are strongly pressured to work overtime. Those who are not willing to work 6 days a week are quickly replaced by those who are.
    Company values: the massive layoffs show that the company does not care about its individual people. Its treatment of people are ridiculous bad, examples ranging from the temps who are let go within a month to the temp-to-hires who are kept as temps for nearly a year to the new paralegals who are let go when the busy cap season is ended.

Stop treating your lower-ranked employees as commodities and show some empathy to the job situation that younger, inexperienced legal assistants and paralegals are facing. They are not aware of what is normal in the field. Don't take advantage of that by paying them low wages and firing them whenever convenient.

If you have other options go somewhere else.

I have been working at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy full-time

Pros

- This has been my highest paying job so far (but I partially believe that's to keep me here -- it won't work much longer)
    - There seems to be an overabundance of free food provided (trainings, birthday parties, lectures, office events).

**Yes, you know there is a problem when I list food as a pro for a company.

Cons

- First thing, each office operates differently. Never in my life have I worked for a place where each office is allowed to make up their own rules depending on the managing partner in that office. It leds to disconnected workers and headaches when trying to work with other offices. In short, it's stupid and should be changed.
    - While your salary is great, the retirement package is awful. They don't even match.
    - There isn't much room for advancement. It seems you stay in the role you were hired for until you've decided you've had enough and quit.
    - Training? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA That doesn't exist here and if you dare ask for any you'll be looked at like you have 5 heads.
    - Office morale is.....unique. You walk around and see everybody listening to music on their computers with a glazed look in their eyes. It's a little weird.
    - Lack of company culture..... unless having dissatisified and complacent employees is a culture.
    - Everybody seems to constantly be in a rush to do everything and everything is of the utmost importance. I understand tight deadlines, but things around here are on another level.
    - Management? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I don't know how some of these people got that title. They don't know the basics of managing a team and don't care about the growth or satisfication of their subordinates (that's probably why turnover is so high. -- don't let HR lie to you like they lied to me. Turnover is not low here).

As other reviews have stated management is out of touch. They really need to sit down and re-evaluate/change their structure to increase employee satisfication and retention of top talent. Also, they need to invest time in training managers.

The only reason I say the outlook of the company is neutral is because the focus here is on churning out cases and billing, which will keep the business afloat (even though it may cost Fragomen to lose top talent as a tradeoff).

Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen, & Loewy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fast pace team oriented environment

Cons

Target Driven with Time management