FramesDirect.com Reviews

Roy Hessel

1. Leader in Designer Eyewear sales online + Fast growing company

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are very friendly, very dedicated. If you like fashion, this is the paradise of brands (250+ brands from Ray-Ban to Prada). Great employee discounts on eyewear. The new website looks great. Sales are growing fast. Positive environment to work in.

Cons

Hard working team. Don't expect to work 9am-5pm if you're not an hourly employee

Advice to Management

Can't wait to get the new office furniture :)

2. All these reviews are within a few days of eachother. Be warned.

I worked at FramesDirect.com

Pros

Manipulate reviews so the management at least stays on top of things.

Cons

Same reasons stated for pros.

Advice to Management

Don't manipulate your employees to give you good reviews. A 4.0 score is very.... telling. No one is that amazing.

Truly Dismal Work Environment

Former Employee - Senior Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Austin, TX

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about this place is the people in the trenches doing the real work. There are some very smart, hard-working, nice people there that are great at what they do.

Cons

Although there are some nice people among the working ranks, the environment is rather dismal and oppressive, so no one really talks to one another much, nor do they socialize much after hours with one another. Therefore, you miss out on building close friendships. I worked here in a senior management position for just under 5 years and have been amazed at how people are constantly leaving because of the environment (many leaving in as little time as a week to a couple of months), yet nothing is being done to improve it. In fact, those who leave are often chided and made fun of, addressing specific "faults" which really usually boiled down to their just having a backbone and refusing to be bullied or to work in a morgue-environment. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews here--look at the dates for when they were posted. They're all from current employees and were posted within the same few days. I was in the meeting when key employees were asked to come to this site and post positive reviews, due to our difficulty in getting people to apply for jobs. Despite record profits, nothing trickles downhill. They simply want people who don't think, don't question, who will sit at their monitor for 12+ hours a day (for non-hourly employees) and not interact with anyone else. There is no motivation, no inspiration. To be honest, bullying is their modus operandi. Finally, don't think you will get to do new, cutting-edge things here. They blatantly say that they "...will never do anything that one of the top online retailers hasn't already done and proven." In other words, copying competitors, Amazon and J. Crew and the like. Not very impressive on a resume.

Advice to Management

Efforts need to be taken to make the work environment tolerable and people need to be treated better. Period. New furniture isn't going to cut it. People need motivation, they need inspiration...they need to know they won't be talked about behind their backs...and they need to be rewarded for great work--even if that reward is simply a pat on the back. As it stands now, it really is a bit of a viper's nest, but only the people who have left will say that since those currently employed don't know who to trust enough to be honest about it.

5. Progressive and Growing

Current Employee - SEO Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - SEO Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The transition from independent company to part of a larger corporation has resulted in much better benefits (health insurance, vacation, etc.) and more focus in the organizational structure and goals.

Cons

Being a part of a corporation means losing the "start-up" atmosphere and more of what one would call "red tape" requirements.

Advice to Management

More ongoing educational activities like training sessions and conferences to keep employees up to date on current trends might be good.

6. FramesDirect is a very good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time

Pros

The office culture is good they do expect results but they are not overly demanding There is not a lot of office politics and the management are good people who don't mistreat their employees. There are definitely chances to grow and advance your career here as the company grows. One big pro for FD is they tend to be loyal to their good employees many people have been working here for a long time -- they do not just fire people to save money and hire someone cheaper or lay off people at the drop of a hat at the first sign of slowing sales. Benefits offered are good. I can't really speak for hourly employees but for salaried they are fairly flexible with scheduling and when you need time off. They recently increased the vacation time allotted so that you now get an extra days the longer you have been here (and did not decrease the days we already had).

Cons

Compensation could be better. As an online only company we tend to live and die by our marketing efforts and google rankings so when those are off it can be a pretty stressful time around the company. Luckily that is not often the case.

Advice to Management

My biggest concern for the company is our dependence on Google and competition. We are being out-marketed by several companies with large resources right now. Also we are falling behind technologically other companies now have tryon apps for people's phones we don't even have an app of any kind yet.

7. Industry leader in online optical sales - good opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Marketing Team in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Team in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Established company with a long on-line presence. Able to dabble in many different areas of the business and it has a small company/ family feel. All employees get the same monthly bonus based on sales regardless of their position. Every employee has a voice and management wants to hear it.

Cons

Office setting and location needs some improvement (has dated furniture & nowhere to eat or go out to lunch).

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work.

8. Company overview

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been with this company for a VERY long time. It is fast growing company. FramesDirect is responding to changes in eCommerce trends very well. This contributes to the high growth rates. Provides reasonable health benefits, generous 401K plan with company matching, bonus etc. Management believes that the best ideas come from the employees. Management is always working on improving system efficiency to make sure employees can do their jobs easily and more efficiently. Management makes people feel part of the success. Gives credit where deserved. Flexible work environments. When the company moved its office from Houston to Austin, management gave an option to all employees to either move to Austin or work from home. There are several employees who work from home due to this option. There are lot of employees who have been with the company for more than 5 years and several approaching 10 years and a few more than 10 years. As for work itself, I the long time I have been with company, I have had ample opportunity to grow with the growth of the company.

Cons

Nothing that hasn't been addressed over the years.

Advice to Management

Encourage team to keep following eCommerce trends closely to help keep the momentum in sales growth.

9. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, management team and benefits. Sales are great and continuing to grow! I have worked for FramesDirect.com for many years and it has been wonderful. Many employees have worked for FramesDirect for over 10 years! I especially love that we have a buffet-style lunch once a week in the office! We also have quarterly dinner meetings where we all get to expand our knowledge and socialize outside of the day-to-day office environment!

Cons

No complaints here! I love my job!

10. Nothing of value

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gaining experience in online production

Cons

The company is known to bring in many temp employees, and has a high turnover rate. If you actually do finally get a job offer, your pay will be very low and your benefits will be lacking. After I accepted my offer, I was told I could take no vacation time until 12 months passed.

Advice to Management

Change up your layout and get rid of bottom line/profit preaching. Sell, sell, sell. Nobody likes sitting in dark cubicles all day every day. One of the most depressing jobs I've ever worked in my life.

11. Tight working family feel type of company

Former Employee - Web Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at FramesDirect.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere was laid back and pretty easy going. We had seasons of rush like christmas or spring but nothing where it got too hectic.

Cons

Unfortunately you will not be paid much and at the time there were no benefits for the employees.

Advice to Management

Benefits and more pay. Bottom line. I knew the company was doing very well financially so it was kinda sad that wasn't kicked back to the employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed