France Telecom
www.francetelecom.com Paris, France 5000+ Employees

France Telecom Reviews in South San Francisco, CA

France Telecom – Santo Domingo – “Tienda Orange”

France Telecom CEO Stéphane Richard

Stéphane Richard

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Contract Product strategy analyst

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at France Telecom

ProsWhen I was there, there were some real opportunities identified. I undertand they are out of the product dev business in that lab - and are just M&A'ing. Putzers I call them. Too much time going to conferences, speaking, making speeches, watching what others are doing, and trying to duplicate the successes of lean startups. The conservatism of the otherwise very bright and well trained Indian management was potentially well synergized with the loud and outspoken Jewish Analysts, of which I was a contractor.

ConsThey R&D lab management would not see a real leading edge opportunity if you rubbed their faces in it. The culture of following the real valley risk takers was as toxic as arsenic on Gateway blvd.

That kind of a do-nothing management in a leading telecom is a shame, a dirty shame. I understand however that FT's boston lab is pretty good.

Advice to Senior ManagementGuys, take your analysts at least seriously enough to walk through the assumed market adjudications. You don't have to take everything on faith, but following every new startup idea that gets a 2M seed round is not becoming for a global player - FT needed at that time, a global strategy for B2B commerce.

May not be the place that you want to work for..

I have been working at France Telecom

ProsOpportunity to work on new technologies

Consno flexible working hours and no work from home, not a good place to work if you commute

Advice to Senior Managementbe transparent, recognize the job well done, become employee friendly

Not as Bad As People Think

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at France Telecom

ProsOrange is a global company, very innovative we work on cutting edge technology. Very confortable atmosphere to work in. The lab has a unique history and now appears to be more insightful about the skillsets that are needed to become a world reknowned lab and they are moving to that end.

They are a very stable company and are still on track for paying bonuses and merit increases which is very positive since many companies doing this economic down turn cannot financially afford to do this.

ConsFrance Telecom does offer mobility and career advancement but you have to be willing to move to Europe.

Getting approvals from the parent company in France can be timely and unfortunately we all have to suffer because of the timeliness issue which is quite normal for companies who have there parent company in another country..

Some of the downsides are that many of the employees there have worked there for some time and have adopted very negative demotivating attitudes that unfortunately effect the morale of others..

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with staff by having more frequent meetings

Can be interesting but also very frustrating at time

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at France Telecom

ProsPart of the positives with working for this lab is that with a little bit of luck and research, you get to choose what you work on. If you to sell it internally within the lab, then you get to build a prototype and to sell it to our headquarters. If you can sell the concept and get sponsorship, you get to drill-down on your topic, build working prototype, attend conferences, meet other companies and become a knowledge expert in the field. Another benefit is that in this economy, working for Orange feels more stable than working for a lot of the other companies in the Valley.

ConsBeing part of a subsidiary that is part of something as big as France Telecom means that you sometimes feel like a very small fish, there is a lot of ambiguity trying to comprehend all the politics in place.
There are also very few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore ways to reward employees for good work as advancement is almost impossible

If you don't have to work here, Don't

I have been working at France Telecom

Proswell, it is a R&D institute, not the acadamic style, but more like a lab. I got to experiment with different new ideas and products, to work on things that seem interesting to me. I don't have work on the same project/product over and over again as in most industrial companies.

ConsFor one, management sucks. Their idea of "working" is like government agency. You have to physically sit in your seat to work!
And HR and Tech support also are also incompetent. Most stuff employees take for granted in other companies, you have to personally take care of yourself. From intalling project pc, to your 401k. If you don't, you are messed up.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand the intelligence part of our job and be flexible. Happy employees, happy company!

big company effects on one of its small branch

I have been working at France Telecom

Proscovers all the aspects of the telco industry, challenging in its innovation, low to medium pressure, lot of opportunity to learn

Conslot of middle management and processes, lack of driving very technical people, can be exhausting to fight the system.

Advice to Senior Managementdrive more, protect from the processes

Not to do list for running a company successfully

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at France Telecom

ProsIf you are self motivated, this place provides you ample opportunity to grow professionally, network in the industry provided you are ready to utilize your personal time substantially on top of the working hours!!

Cons-You are measured by number of hours you spent at work and number of times you approach upper management to tell them we are happy at work NOT by how efficiently you can work
-No clear cut work definition so one can not be rated for performance
-Hostile telecommute policy
-Everybody is a project manager and there is no growth unless you become director. Qualification for becoming a director is ability to play extreme politics and want to spend lot of your personal time in doing additional work for company
-Salaries are not at all at par with industry but once you are with company for more than few years you have good number of personal time off
-Human Resource dept/person does not know what human resources mean and is not approachable

Advice to Senior Management-Have company briefing at least once a month
-Have informal employee gathering once a quarter
-Take anonymous feedback/performance review for upper management
-Hold HR responsible for their mistakes
-Have a structured organization where people are rated by performance
-Encourage and manage telecommute
-Pay bonuses and salary hikes on time

very poor!!

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at France Telecom

Prosif don't want too much pressure and have an inbuilt system to blank the crap that happens in the office ..from senior management ..and the terrible leadership ability of the CEO..then this is good for u.

Conswell these are the events that have happened to give you an idea of the downside... a lot of women have ended up getting fired...or have some issues with the the department CEO....mainly French staff have been promoted...lot of people have been let go after they have tried to voice their views and the CEO did not feel comfortable with that.. senior management do not have good business judgment to make a good call on which projects should move forward and which should be dropped.... Mainly most staff just spend loads of time hating the place which gets you down even more...sorry but this is how most people feel!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks.. move out of management and spend time with staff.. be creative..

Worked for France Telecom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at France Telecom reviews and ratings in South San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for France Telecom CEO Stéphane Richard . All 8 reviews posted anonymously by France Telecom employees.