Francesca's Collections

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.5

Neill Davis

Pros
  • employee discount (30-50% depending on position) (in 20 reviews)

• Freedom with visual merchandising - every store is unique (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand that they ask too much and provide too little (in 38 reviews)

• unprofessional, no incentives, low pay, low discount, weekly corporate changes (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Francesca's over the Christmas holiday and loved it! Fast paced and great work environment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Francesca's Collections part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff discount and incentives if you reach your sales goal.

Cons

You have to work many holidays and long hours, but that is true of any retail job.

Terrible company values, lack or identity, poor upper management and lots of confusion

Former Employee - Boutique Manager
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager

I worked at Francesca's Collections full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Visual freedom
    Your Staff
    Discount

There really isn't much good to say anymore about this company.

Cons

Wow...where do we start.

After nearly 7 years with the company working at many different levels and seeing the perspective from both the co\prorate side and the boutique side there is no wonder this company is floundering right now.

-The company has no identity. The styles change drastically (sometimes from season to season) and has caused many core customers to be alienated from francescas because of this.
    -The product quality is poor and fitment is TERRIBLE and inconsistent. They hired "fit models" and after this the fit of the clothing got even worse....explain that please
    -Pay is below average at all levels, especially at the corporate office.
    -Bonuses were cut drastically this year from BMRs and ABMS as were benefits. Bonuses below the ABM were cut altogether.
    -Make up your mind!!!!!! They send out huge visual directives then 2 weeks later they are unhappy with them and change them back. No payroll is given to support these corporate blunders.
    -No upward mobility anymore. They continue to hire upper management from outside the company. These people come in with no understanding of Francescas and the culture (that used to exist) and continue to be detrimental to the business.
    -They are growing too fast. They are doing this to appease Wall Street, without concern for their employees or their customers.
    -The culture that used to make this the place to work has DIED.....plain and simple. Expect to be belittled, abused and berated when you have done something incorrect (even the smallest thing). But turn around and do many amazing things and no one ever even recognizes it.
    --How about their first "marketing campaign" with Under the Gunn??? That was a huge disaster and they got completely hosed by the show in every way. They were used and abused and it was simply because they didn't have a clue what they were getting into and how much they would be involved.....or maybe it was all just to stroke the ego of their head buyer who has consistently made horribly buying choices and has no accountability to this.
    -It has been a downhill slide since they went public and will continue until they make some drastic changes and start to recognize who they are as a company and start to provide support to their employees.
    -They wanted to be one of the top 100 companies to work for in their home state of Texas but I doubt they will make it into the top 100,000 due to poor pay, instability, poor benefits, poor product quality, and overall lack of communication at all levels.

Get it together. Talk with your senior BMRs (if there are any left). Accept that you have all made very poor decisions and have lost focus of what made this company so successful and regroup. It will be painful at first as it will take capital investments (yes your people are capital), having a negative impact on the bottom line. However, happy employees are more productive and build better relationships with customers and represent the brand properly both at and way from work. This is the foundation for success.....it was already proven to work at francescas and corporate management abandoned this to save a few bucks....good luck you are going to need it.

Good First Job with Terrible Upper Management

Former Employee - Boutique Associate
    Former Employee - Boutique Associate

I worked at Francesca's Collections part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started working at Francesca's and really liked it at first. The clothes weren't really my cup of tea, but it was fun seeing new freight everyday and putting it out on the floor. There's also lots of opportunities for creative freedom which I really liked.

Cons

The longer I was there, the more I saw the ins and outs of the company. My manager had just turned 21 and I had a hard time taking her seriously being that I was several years older than her. The company only cares about money and selling. There were several weeks we received so much new freight that it wouldn't fit in out stock room and we ran out of hangers to even put it on the sales floor. Upper management doesn't care. And the new Francesca's Promise is just another way to get their employees to do nothing but drive sales for the company, but the only people rewarded for our hard earned sales is the store manager who gets a fat bonus. Not fair. You'd think we were working on commission the way they ragged on us about sales and techniques to get people to buy things. The pay was terrible. I had open availability and bills to pay and I'd get inconsistent hours. One week 31, the next 13! When a key holder position opened up, I was promised the job and it was brought up to me by management countless times. Before I knew it, they hired a 17-year-old BA to be key holder when she was immature and could never open due to still being in high school and could only close 3 nights a week. I was livid but thought they'd still give me a kay holder position soon. Nope, they hired another younger girl with zero experience to be a key holder and I finally quit. Favoritism was a huge part of working there. If the manager really liked you and you didn't rat her out for the things she wasn't suppose to do, you'd get the lucky end of the stick. Don't settle for this place.

Hire people old enough and mature enough to do their job. Stop making everything about the company all about money. Care more for you employees and start being from within if you want employees to stay with you for more than a few months.

Worked for the company for nearly 3 years, more than half that time as Boutique Manager.

Houston, Tx.

Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Francesca's Collections full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

~Schedule flexibility
    ~Creative freedom
    ~My employees
    ~Discount

Cons

~This listing could go on and on
    ~Inconsistency in decision making from Home Office
    ~The pay is NO WAY comparable to competitors
    ~No direct contact to Home Office personnel; which can cause major problems since there is always a lack there of on effective and clear communications
    ~Company didn't pay out my last full week of work, however after having to fight for my PTO that they attempted to keep I just rather not deal with any of them

~Get it together
    ~ You have management in the field that's ultimately giving your company a bad name! And you will continue to lose great employees due to their selfish, inconsiderate and unprofessional tactics of what should be leadership.
    ~Invest in your current employees development and growth, this will allow more internal promotion. Hopefully that will help the company slow down on losing it's true values.
    ~ It's beyond disappointing that a job and store I once loved and went beyond any measure to make successful I have nothing good to say about.
    ~

Will never return

Former Employee - Boutique Key Holder in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Boutique Key Holder in Tampa, FL

I worked at Francesca's Collections part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom with visuals (sometimes).
    Decent discount (30%)

Cons

Incompetent management - constantly changing what they want employees to do/what they want the store to look like. As soon as you've changed the entirety of the store to their liking, they make you change it back.
    New customer service plan treats customers as if they're brain-dead, no-confidence shmucks.
    They say they always hire within, but that is not that case.

have very low expectations if you choose to work here

Former Employee - Key Holder in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Marietta, GA

I worked at Francesca's Collections full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is nice. You get a lot of great customers that repeatedly stop in and build relationships with. New merchandise daily. The stores are nice sizes and offer a variety of different styles.

Cons

In no way are you getting paid enough for the amount of work you'll end up doing. Upper management will criticize your store without offering any helpful suggestions on how to fix any problem they find. No room for advancement unless someone quits. I was sexually harassed and it was swept under the rug. If your manager or assistant manager want to take a vacation/leave during the time you have put in for leave they can choose to give themselves the time off over you no matter how long you requested your days off. Managers and assistant managers can choose to stay in the stockroom their entire shift and not help you out on the floor even when it's insanely busy. The staff changes a lot due to people becoming unhappy with their jobs. They don't give you any kind of feedback if you're doing a great job or any reward for excelling in your numbers. They offer negative feedback frequently however.

You need to rework your whole entire structure. Focus on your employees and you'll become a greater company. Pay attention to the stores that can't keep anyone in them for more than a year, there's something wrong when that's happening. Sexual harassment should be dealt with and the offender should be fired rather than making the victim feel unsafe by y'all promoting the offender and moving them to a different store. Do not reward bad behavior.

Former Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Francesca's Collections full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I didn't really see any pros. Most DM'S are new and incompetent of doing their job. If you're looking for a job to pass time as just an associate ok. If you are looking for that first "SM" (this was not my first SM position I thought I wanted to grow to DM) job to put on your resume go for it.......then run!

Cons

Constant sugar coating of a poor product. You have to wear their tacky jewelry on the clock with the price tags hanging out so customers think your crazy.

This company does MOS and monthly damages. .....they trash them when they could donate them. Catch up Francescas get the tools the stores need like scan guns to do markdowns. Bring in smart people to rework how things get done such as do a store set then markdowns the next day....yeah let's work on top of work. Bring in a product worth something. .....I've never processed so many returns and damages ever!

What is happening at fran?

Current Employee - Boutique Manager
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager

I have been working at Francesca's Collections full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I began employment several years ago, francesca's was a shiney beacon of hope in a sea of blood sucking retailers. I won't go into the details of what has changed here but lets just say the "pros" are gone.

Cons

Most everything. This was once the greatest retail environment I could have dreamed of. Proof positive that going public makes people do crazy things. It is no longer about the people (which it may never have been but at least it felt like it,) its about the green machine. Don't stand in their way or they will spit you out quicker than you can say fran. Matter a fact, it's best not to stand out in any good or bad way. Float under the radar for maximum success.
    Did I mention the payscale. Living wages please. This may work for employees in a two income household but us single people are eating mac n'cheese and ramen off this pay. Thank you for my waif-ish physique.

Communicate with your store teams openly. We want to understand the changes and decisions that are being made. It is hard to back a company that you feel is being "shady" with its own team.
    Coverage can be rough at times with workload.
    Increase wages.
    Smart buying. We seem to go through some interesting buying highs and lows on our product. Go back to trend setting and not trying jam as much product as possible into our four tiny walls. It is a boutique not a junk drawer.

A great company with cute clothes, friendly environment, and good salary.

I have been working at Francesca's Collections

Pros

Very cute clothes and great deals

Cons

long hours, and average pay

Honestly it's a fun place to work, but give yourself a timeline of what you want to do in a certain amount of time or else you'll waste a lot of time here.

I have been working at Francesca's Collections

Pros

Creative visuals
    Unique merchandise
    Great discounts
    Natural customer engagement / not commissioned

Cons

Pay as managers / bonuses went down
    Not a lot of room to grow
    Upper management gossip a lot to other stores
    District managers visit often and point out a lot of negatives
    Upper management bash each other and corporate
    As managers you're expected to work a minimum of 45 a week with bad pay
    Difficult to get certain paid days. You have to take off a full week not just a day here or there

Help the teams you already have and not the ones that you don't have yet. Listen to your teams. Pay your management team better in order to have committed members stay. Good luck the company is struggling.

Francesca's Collections Photos