Frankie & Benny's Reviews

2.4
Andrew Page

1. Part-time Waitress

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's

Pros

Fast paced environment
    You keep the tips you earn

Cons

Stressful at times if understaffed

Chef

Current Employee - Chef in Fareham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef in Fareham, England (UK)

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't see any pros

Cons

Bad management bad work conditions

Advice to Management

Start work more And You don't need save in the kitchen all the time

3. helps with customer service skills but wouldn't recommend

Former Employee - Waitressing
    Former Employee - Waitressing

I worked at Frankie & Benny's

Pros

Teaches good customer service and helps to build people skills

Cons

Long shifts with no break

Spoken to almost child like

Expected to run 10 tables perfectly on a Saturday night plus a party of 16 people

Advice to Management

Treat staff with the same respect you expect to be given and you will have a better working team

5. Deputy manager

Current Employee - Deputy Manager
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free food, good training, opportunity to progress

Cons

long hours over contract, pay not the best

Advice to Management

give us more labour to spend.

A very fickle environment with highly erratic hours and negative management

Current Employee - Waiter in Taplow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter in Taplow, England (UK)

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's (More than a year)

Pros

You can make great tips on shift
    Good opportunity to progress customer service skills
    Experience in building and maintaining clientele
    Nice staff and guests

Cons

Erratic hours: One week your loaded with 50+ hours doing openings after closes, the next you barely receive 20. This is all presented on Sunday at around half 11 in the evening! What sort of Business presents a rota for the following week this late?!

Staff meetings; predominately pointless and last around 3 hours. They always start late in the evening and run onto around 1am. Feature a lot of negativity and then some empty promises of the exciting things that are about to happen.

When hours are short, you can be "asked" if you want to receive holiday pay. By "asked", I mean, you accept holiday pay. Continuing from this, on various occasions I, along with others, have opened their pay slips to discover we have been allocated holiday pay without requesting it or even being asked. How can a business impose holiday pay like so? Is this even legal?

Essentially find yourself living around work. Re-drawing to the erratic hours; when you face a week with barely any hours, you are told to expect a phone call when there is a shift available. These calls usually come an hour or 2 before and if you say you can't make it FOR ANY REASON you will find this is negatively reflected in the next week in your hours, which will diminish even further as you haven't done what your manager requested.

Dont annoy the management, just don't. You can break your back for them but this will quickly fly out the window if you don't do something else for them. Annoying management, as mentioned previously, is reflected in your hours.

Not a chef, yet witnessed very rude comments fly from management to them over the hot plate. Big staff turnover even amongst the chefs, which is no surprise.

Making mistakes. Making mistakes on the floor is faced with an instant look of disgrace and followed by ‘That will come out of your pocket’. Persistent mistakes is understandable but something small and silly can surely be overlooked? Witnessed my manager make a mistake with regards to payment. After accepting a declined PDQ receipt, I told her it had declined, to which she chased the table out the restaurant. They re-paid to which I discovered was the wrong amount (around £15 short of the bill) which I informed her of. She later printed some discount and applied them to the table. Not sure why its fair for her to do this, when previously I have had to pay for mistakes that were slightly more difficult than taking a payment?!

Participated in a grand opening whereby not enough staff meant they were accepting virtually anyone. This led to great stress in the opening weeks. Very poor recruitment.

Very little opportunity to progress. Found people being transferred from other branches to fill supervisory roles. Quite insulting to hard working staff who had been within the restaurant from early stages.

Advice to Management

More consideration for staff needs... if they valued us more as people as opposed to pawns in there business (or made this less obvious) staff may have more positive experiences within the restaurant.

7. To much stress for litlle pay!

I worked at Frankie & Benny's

Pros

Easy to start working as no special skills are required and are allways understaff.
    25% discount card within the company's group

Cons

Terrible facilities and dangerous working conditions. Literaly no rules are respected. You are expected to work 16h shift without a break or even have a meal. Some times they run out of clean uniforms and you have to work with a soiled one and use by others. Training is minimal. The law is underlooked all the time. The pay is the minimum wage (hourly rate). Rota is changed without notice

Advice to Management

A proper manager plays with the rules given and delivery results

8. Unecessarily stressful at times. I strive to provide excellent customer service but often feel hampered doing so.

Current Employee - Waiter in Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly staff and helpful management. Mostly lovely customers that you get to interact with- certainly not a boring job

Cons

Late finishes and double shifts without proper breaks at times.

Advice to Management

Quality control- sometimes the food is embarrassing to serve- either because management have taken it upon themselves to instruct chef's to only put 1 chicken strip in lunch wraps, only 1/4 of a rack of ribs instead of 1/2. Ice cream scoops the size of golf balls, 25ml shots in cocktails, thimble sized coleslaw serving. Cooking steaks in pizza oven and many other annoyances that ultimately hamper me and front of house team in delivering the best service and customer satisfaction.
    At least we're saving stock. Stock. Stock. Stock. That's all we hear about. And it isn't saving stock if we cheat customers and ignore trade descriptions/weights and measures legal requirements.

9. Going downhill drastically, Unorganised company.

Current Employee - Server in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Server in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's

Pros

Tips
    Staff food after 5 hours of work

Cons

Useless, unprofessional managers
    Don't care about employees.
    Lazy Managers sit in office and leave minimum waged employees running store while managers collect bonuses.

Advice to Management

Firstly only hire competent managers
    Think about your employees and customers before money
    Bring things back to how they were.

10. Worst job ever!!!

Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Manager in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Frankie & Benny's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything that makes me like the job.

Cons

Inexperienced managers with textbook training. No business acumen and no experience of managing staff. No succession plans to develop staff so the brunt of the workload dumped on staff who can do, leading to unbelievably long shifts without a break for lunch or a sit down. Known to do 18 hour shifts. Weak management also allowing staff to get away with swinging the lead, constantly ringing in sick without any consequences leaving the already busy team understaffed. GM not doing kitchen checks and signing off check and my finding the fridges with out of date food and items without date dots. Standards are disgraceful. Loan worker policy ignored, should have 2 staff at end of night but only 1 member is left to cash up and do all checks. Very vulnerable as F&B's are on retail parks and are the last to close their business.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting young staff who haven't got a clue how to run a restaurant and how to deliver excellent customer service whilst motivating the team. You need some experienced general managers who can train and develop their deputy's and not just use them as workhorses. Strong leadership and succession plans right through the business are needed. Having staff who when asked, do you enjoy your job, answering, I'm only here for the tips is shameful.
    Excellence starts at the top!!!

11. Used to be superb

I worked at Frankie & Benny's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Some great people.
    Excellent training
    A lot of opportunity (although down to high turnover)

Cons

No clear brand direction. Trying to be all things to all men.
    54 hour management weeks (on a good week)
    Never enough team on due to wage budgets.
    Over promoted senior management.
    Political issues at a senior level
    Rampant nepotism

Advice to Management

Get back to Italian American fayre and improve the quality of the food.
    Consider reducing the contracted hours for managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed