Franklin American

Add Photos

Daniel G. Crockett

Your mileage may vary

IT Department (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThis would be a good first time, or early in your career, experience. And if you stick around for 5+ years then the salary will be comparable to other companies. You have an opportunity to learn a lot. People have returned after leaving for a second stint with the company.

ConsThere are no design docs, leading to designs changing mid development, and no guidelines for anyone to see how the entire thing should work. There is limited growth due to the relatively small IT department. Poor planning also leads to more late nights than necessary. The IT department is an arm of the business, which gives way to non-technical people having more input than they should.

Advice to Senior ManagementBy integrating detailed planning as a required step in the development process, you will alleviate much of the frustration. People generally want to do the best job they can, but are often hindered which lowers moral.

Mediocre, conservative business... with least amount of outgoing views on people. Never thinking outside the box.

Loan Auditor (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsPeople I work with, most people are helpful.. but also find that it's hard to move up or they are using their position as an added experience to the next job they find with another company

ConsStuck in the same position, typical corporate environment... favorites and glass ceiling is low! Never having a clear organized plan for loan audit or correspondence. Always having to tell lenders... it's policy without a real reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair and provide real outlooks, instead of trying to create an unrealistic view of the future to keep people from quitting.

Good first "real" job

Auditor (Former Employee) Irving, TX

Proslaid back environment with healthy competition for bonuses

Consboring, easy to get "stuck" in a certain role

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was an FHA Underwriter

FHA Underwriter (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsOther employees were helpful, Helped to answer questions and gave opinions to situations with file.

ConsAt the time, I had a younger child (now he is grown) and could not put in as many hrs needed

Pretty great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsAdvancement opportunities are good and the managers are nice

ConsRaises are pretty much non existent

Great company with growth potential & supportive management.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsI have been at FAMC for about a year and a half. I really enjoy those I work with and the operations method of which the company works. Some days are worse than others, but what job is always sunshine & roses every single day? I feel supported in my role and know that if the time comes when I am ready to move forward into a new position the possibilities are endless. There is always someone to answer a question to. I feel important and appreciated in my role.

ConsI would like to work earlier hours, but that is not a reflection of the company by any means.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoy the management staff and have personally met Dan Crockett. Nice guy with a great business model. FAMC is the largest private mortgage company in the country, we must be doing something right. NO company is perfect, every company has ups & downs along with new ideas that succeed & fail. Trial and error, learning from the error is what counts.

Good ole boys running a company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsGreat town to live in and decent pay structure

ConsSales runs this company. Everything else is secondary including, compliance, quality control, HR and IT. All three channels of their business model are setup almost as separate companies and unfortunately their COO has no control. He's a great guy and extremely intelligent but the EVP's of all three channels report directly to the CEO...bypassing him completely

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sales out of operations decisions. You've lost a lot of really good people due to that uneasy feeling they have when being told what is and isn't an issue by someone in sales.

Quit having underwriters report to sales people. How is it possible that you still think that's ok?

Keep your personalities in check. You essentially are a mediocre mortgage bank in middle Tennessee. Quit trying to act like your Chase or Wells Fargo conferences. Your not that good.

Respect your employees.

Since you haven't respected your employees...they leave you. Now you've burnt through so many people you can't find qualified people. Ask HR...they're pretty candid about that.

Keep your CEO off of Fox News. That's not helping your reputation of being a backwards...backwoods company.

The term good ole boys...is not a compliment. Sexism, small minded thinking and intolerance is not a good business model. Break up that incestuous little boy band of executives you have there and just work on being a better lender.

Great place to get experience

IT Employee (Current Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsSome of the other reviews are accurate for their time frame, but a number of things have changed. First, work life balance (at least in IT) is excellent. It is a 8:30-5pm job. The culture in IT is flat instead of a hierarchy. As a developer, you will start coding to production your first week there. I cannot recommend this enough for anyone who is looking for experience. Great for recent graduates, has a young culture in IT with most people being under 35. If you have the option of taking a job here, I strongly recommend it if you feel like you fit the culture.

ConsOne issue some potential hires have is that this is still a shirt and tie culture, even in IT. Pay in IT could be improved, but it is fair. Some people might have an issue with the culture being straightforward and feedback oriented, but those that fit here like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the dress code, I would recommend thinking about changes to non-customer facing positions. Pay could also be more competitive, but I think that has less of an effect than the dress code.

Essentially a career starter

Audit Team Lead (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThey are willing to bring in recent college graduates and teach them everything, even if they have a major in a different area or no experience.

A young group of people, with a somewhat competitive atmosphere.

This is a good, reputable company from which you can start your career, either within this company or outside.

ConsThe pay is lower than others in the industry with similar positions.

Creativity and ingenuity are stiffled.

Bonus structure seemed as if management set it up to increase production, but made even the lowest tier bonus unattainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the young bright minds you hire an opportunity to utilize their skill set, and increase pay to ensure they stay with the company.

Franklin American was a great place to gain Agile Development experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Franklin, TN

ProsThe people are great. I worked in IT and it was a very close-knit team. Everyone works hard.

ConsThis may have changed since I was there, but we had weekly software deployments which often kept us there late into the night. Sometimes deployments occurred multiple times per week, and even on Fridays. This place may be more tolerable for someone without a family. I never knew when I would be able to leave work each day. It's nothing against the people there, but for the hours I worked and the pay I received it just wasn't worth it for me to stay there any longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith no CIO to influence decision-making with regard to Software Development project planning, many critical decisions are made by the CFO without regard for what the team really has resources to complete. This is not all the CFO's fault though, as when I was there we did not have a sufficient mechanism for estimating future projects' effort. Again, this may have changed since I left the company to pursue other growth opportunities.

Worked for Franklin American? Contribute to the Community!