Franklin Covey Reviews

Franklin Covey Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Whitman
Bob Whitman

Good company overall!

Former Employee - Inside Business Partner

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Franklin Covey is one of the best companies I ever worked for. They are a training company, so naturally they believe in training their employees. The skills I learned in training and in application on the job have helped me become successful today. I also got to work from home. They gave us objectives, checked in regularly, and then trusted us to execute our goals. Finding companies like that are hard to find today. They have a great culture, too!

Cons

I did not have a degree and that is what held me back. While I do feel it is important in that industry, I do not feel not having a degree should determine someone's worth in a company and in the marketplace. I now work for a company that does not put a degree above ability or performance and I am now providing more value and doubling what I made at Franklin Covey.

Advice to Management

If you have someone with great talent, but not a specific degree, find a way to keep them if you truly value them. Promote them to another position if needed to keep them.

They don't practice what they preach

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey

Pros

FranklinCovey allows many of its employees to work from home. There is in general, a positive culture revolving around the 7 habits for highly effective people.

Cons

Upper-level management do not "practice what they preach." FranklinCovey is known for its trainings in individual productivity and efficiency, but the very company that teaches this does not implement it within its own system. I personally saw Executive level managers use fear tactics to get what they wanted. The company is losing its identity.

Advice to Management

Read 7 Habits for Highly Effective People

Marketing Associate

Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small Team get to work close with the CMO and create new marketing opportunites. Frankly Covey stock has been rising over the past two years so the company is getting better.

Cons

Not a very exciting job. Franklin Covey is starting to become a new company but it still feels very 90's corporation but that is slowly dying.

Advice to Management

Bob Whitman this CEO is great! All of the C-Level executives are great.

A fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Franklin Covey full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good. You can tell they promote work/life balance. Compensation is above average for what they do. People are wonderful, my boss is great! Content is fantastic.

Cons

The only con I can think of is not being able to work in a closer office-type of environment (I am a work-from-home employee). Having that camaraderie is something I miss.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You've got a great company and I'm proud to be a part of it!

Great people and products. Challenging because it's a public Company

Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with who love the content. Opportunities to contribute to content development. It was very flexible with me but that depends on the department. The content produced will help throughout a career.

Cons

The organization is very flat. At the end of each quarter and each year there is an enormous amount of pressure to hit numbers and it sometimes feels like that is more important than anything else.

Advice to Management

Consider how much the end of quarter pressure is affecting the culture. Start thinking beyond traditional ways of doing things. The world of consulting and training is changing.

Run, Don't Walk Away From This Company

Former Employee - Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Product they are selling is excellent. Unfortunately, they don't practice what is taught in the product they sell.

Cons

Arrogant executives that refuse to listen to employees. Very disorganized and little planning. A lot of outsourcing which adds complexity to getting your job done.

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing. Get organized. Make a plan.

8. Seven Habits thinking from the brilliant Steven Covey is empowering.

Former Employee - Productivity Consultant in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Productivity Consultant in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Franklin Covey part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training and honing interpersonal skills with team building.
    Intelligent minds to guide similar.

Cons

Now their products are only online on the East Coast.

Advice to Management

Great management in the store, and customer service support was excellent.

Great Product, I wish we lived what we sold.

Former Employee - Inside Business Partner

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. Very supportive staff, and some are still good personal friends. I truly believed in the product I was selling.

Cons

It seemed very much like the company wasn't practicing what we preached. It seemed very often that important principles like putting first things first, focusing on the important (not the urgent) wasn't focused on, among many other things. If only we could have had a FranklinCovey consultant come give consultation to FranklinCovey, we'd be golden :)

10. Best team of people I've ever worked with.

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Greg's team is awesome to work with. He's a great boss who doesn't micromanage, and really tries hard to put his guys in a position to succeed. The rest of his team is the same, no competing interests, just everybody working hard, and often wearing too many hats, but making sure everything gets done the best to their ability.

Cons

Outside of the team, the upper management has unrealistic expectations. They want everything cheap, fast, and super high quality. They need to learn that you can't have all three.

Advice to Management

Trust your developers more, they are very solid guys who know what they are talking about.

11. Not good - behind the times

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Franklin Covey full-time

Pros

Closed on Sundays, regardless what is going on (great if any major days is on a Sunday - July 4th, day after Christmas, New Year's Day). Potential to earn bonuses.

Cons

Located in a mall, so those late night holiday hours apply. A LOT of favoritism in the company; very cliquish as others have pointed out. Sales goals very skewed. A part timer sometimes had much higher goals than the manager in spite of working considerably fewer hours. High pressure to sell seats to a workshop, which gets ridiculous when most of the customers are repeat customers (particularly companies) and have already been through the workshops. Not to mention those workshops are ridiculously overpriced (going in the hundreds). They do not practice what they preach and therefore make poor business decisions. The company is way too focused on paper products, and has very little to keep up with the fact that people are using tablets/iPads/smartphones to do it all. Products can be overpriced, which doesn't help when Franklin Covey products are sold for cheaper at places like Office Depot. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Play fair and stop the favoritism. Make the goals fair according to how many hours are being worked and if it is a slow/busy sales time (a person working a closing shift on a very slow night as his only shift that week should not have a $900 goal). Focus less on paper products and more on electronic offerings before more of your stores close, or the whole company does.

Franklin Covey Photos

We celebrate. Sometimes we celebrate with giant confetti cannons. I feel for the cleaning crew at the hotel!

+ Add Photo